Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    my sapphire Radeon x1900xtx 512mb idles at like 42-45 celcius and under a heavy load 85 celcius unless it is time to clean the heat sink on the video card out.Those themps are normaly for any video card above the x1800 series.

2. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    I really wonder if ATI even know´s about a AGP Version of their HD3850 card.

I tested the card in 2 other configuration with several Mobo Chipsets and also there no chance to get this card running.

3. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    I'm pretty sure they know, they've been announced 2 months ago. The issue seems that they have problems getting driver support in. The cards were expected to ship end-december. They have been available since mid January, even though there is no offcial driver support. By the looks of it, official driver support won't be available untill at least Catalust 8.2.

I'm waiting with my purchase untill there is better driver support. No point in upgrading if there aren't any decent drivers. Other option would be to get an 2600XT 512MB.

4. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Just curious, what errors are you getting using the drivers that came with the card?

5. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    im in the same dilemma as everyone here with the 478 sockets and AGP. Nvidia did a clever move letting the AGP down as they couldnt get the bridge to be stable with there 8XXX series.

Now ATI left me on the edge, but till now they still are functionning on crappier drivers than Nvidia and several bugs (which are never fixed). I will wait till someone bring this 3850 AGP card and benchmarks it here and post there results... then ill decide if it worth buying it?

6. masterman

masterman Banned

GPU:
    VisionTek 1950pro 635/790 Omega7.10
    I still love my AGP rig , even if the ati driver support is a biggest disappointment ever... But its getting old I must say ... Software like World in Conflict and cycsis really have pushed this old rig to its limits.. I'm not sure if its worth putting good money in to it ,, it may be time for a new rig... I'm sure a 3850 will be faster than my 1950 , but not by much cause of other system limitations.. I'll have to see that others have to say about this card .. Pricing , if it was a $ 100 than sure why not , LOL , most likely over $200 to $300.

7. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    My guess is that the HD 3850 will be $249.99 - $279.99

8. masterman

masterman Banned

GPU:
    VisionTek 1950pro 635/790 Omega7.10
    I'll wait on this , it seems that new pc gaming software is going to be very power / hardware hungry... My amd xp3000 won't have the needed instructions to open the software !!!

9. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    The Errors start with the first reboot after installing the driver. In XP After the windows welcome screen appears the screen goes black and i get a bluescreen with the message that the driver isn´t steering the graphic hardware properly. Then after the second reboot windows crashes and the computer resets itselfs and makes another reboot.

The curious thing is that at the 3rd reboot windows boots normally and you can even access the CCC normally.

But every time when I want to enter 3D Mode the PC freezes or is crashing down or rebooting. Once I came so far that i was able to start crysis but all graphics were corrupted even the menus and in the game you only could see colourful squares and the weapon.

In Vista it is the same. Even when the CCC starts the 3D Preview of the 3D Setup the PC crashes.

I don´t really know what to do. I think that until there is no real and serious driver support for this card, it´s useless. I hope that the 8.2 Catalyst will solve this or maybe PowerColor will bring an Update.

VIA K8T800 Chipset (my Computer at home) = Errors as described above. But my X1950 Pro AGP runs with every Catalyst version and in AGP 8X without a single problem that is the strange thing.

2 Nvidia Chipsets i tested at work = The PC don´t wanted even to boot it said NVRAM error ??? :3eyes:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  10. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Prices currently are 170-250 euro, depending on the country and wheter or not it is a pre-order. 170 isn't a bad price, except for the tiny issue that the card doesn't actually work.

Sounds like something more than just a driver issue. Could be a BIOS-issue (BIOS of the GPU-card) or even problem with the AGP-PCIe bridge.

Hope this doesn't go down the same route as those XFX 790xx AGP cards, which are pretty useless as well since there are no official nVidia driver updates.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008

11. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    I tried the card again in my System. No chance. Without driver installation the card runs in crappy Standard VGA Mode on Windows Desktop.
    But with the PowerColor modified driver it´s hopeless.

I also tried the 7.12 Omega´s the card is not recognised by those.

I would love to get this card working and make some benchmarks. :bang:

If this card would run I would buy it cause I could get it for an employee friendly price of 150 Euros from the shop i work in and lend the card from.

Any Ideas? Modified Inf. Files of the 8.1 drivers?

EDIT: I managed to get the card boot into Windows Desktop without Driver Installation on the both NVIDIA Chipset PC´s that i tested i just reseted the bios to it´s Defaults. When I try to install the PowerColor drivers it´s the same a with my VIA Chipset.

EDIT 2: I heard some rumors that there is a sales stop for the HD3850 AGP there cause there are no Drivers out there that support this cards. Many shops have the card already but were recommended from ATI/Sapphire/PowerColor not to sale it for the moment. The Shop I work for will wait until driver support ist available.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  12. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    would explain why all these places said the card was shipping 2-3 weeks ago and yet it hasnt hit shelves yet.

might not see them till the 8.2s come out.

13. HETT

HETT Member Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256MB
    I'm just curious why some of you prefer to spend almost $250 on this card when you can get a motherboard, 8600GT and X2 3800+ AM2 & 2GB DDR2 RAM for about that same price... Sure the 8600GT is crap, but if you SLi it in the future it will outbeat the performance of a single AGP HD3850 512MB I guarantee it.

14. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    simple. i can sell my 1950xt for about 250. its an upgrade that will cost me next to nothing out of pocket.

15. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Good answer and that's just one of the valid answers why people would buy this card. I'm surprised after 4 years people are still asking the question and trying to save us from the dreaded AGP slot. :banana:

16. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Cause a full PCI-E Upgrade would cost me more than the double Amount of this card. And I have got 4 IDE Drives and new Motherboards have only 1 IDE Port. Also the Power Supply Unit has only 2 SATA connectors when i would have bad luck i would also have to get a new one.

Not to mention the work to built a whole new system and reinstall the Operating Systems.

17. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    1) UVD: Only two real options for this. The 2600 or the 3850. The 2600 is cheaper, but only 70 euro. Price-performance is much better for the 3850.

2) DX10.

3) If I upgrade, I'll upgrade to a completely new machine and move this one down to my parents. Why they don't do anything fancy with it, they do watch video/tv with it. UVD allows them to watch HDTV without issues and DX10 means they can get Vista with all the bells and whistles.

4) Not planning to upgrade now, I'll wait for ICH10 and the newer Quadcores.

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Few things wrong with this post here.

1. 8600GT SLI will not beat HD3850 ( I ran 2 8600GTS's in SLI on an Nforce 590SLI with a 6400+ and it came nowhere near a 3870 for that matter.)

2. If your buying an 8600GT for gaming you will be very dissapointed...not a good choice at all. Go for the 8800GS...

3. Those parts will cost closer to 400 bucks USD not 250.

19. alcpe

alcpe Member

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT AGP
    well, I don't know where You got this, but my xfx7950gt performs extremely good :) That was definitely good upgrade, from xfx7600gt.

as for hd3850 agp - I think I'll skip this one after all, and buy completely new rig after summer holidays :/ I can't even find this one anywhere in NL/DE/BE e-shops. not to mention problematic driver support. as it goes for this - driver support for nvidia's 7XXX series on AGP seems like much better.

20. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    just intime this card is as i am building the ultimate agp based system lol , i already have a pci-e based system but wanted to use some spare bits i had so i got the asrock am2/agp board :)