Philips Going Really Wide with their 492P8 Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    But why does it have a gigbit network port?

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Good for racing rigs, I guess? Very small market they're aiming at.

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    At least it doesn't cost a fortune for what you get. This reminds me of when they released ultrawide TV's for a very short time cause they didn't sell well.

Who knows, maybe this is the next big thing? ultra ultrawide monitors. :)

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    That's actually affordable,huh.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Can be great for work as well, not Photoshop related but in general productivity due to plenty of workspace.

7. Ojref

Ojref Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 7900 XTX
    Ahh, finally a monitor that can display the full glory of my manhood.

CrazY_Milojko, Silva and cryohellinc like this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Weirdly good price for what it is, though except for maybe playing a racing game, flight sim, or an ultra-wide movie, I can't imagine this display being practical for anything. Our eyes do move up and down, too.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

Silva likes this.
  10. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    This monitor is nasty. Curved is a gimmick I rather see flat. WTF its super wide and nasty looking, we need some vertical space. Also its not even 4k resolution,,,,,and what not.

11. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    If this mon was less wide and more vertical and had 4k resolution then its a winner. But the vertical blows goat, and the wide is too wide,, I cant have a tennis match going just do get stuff done.

12. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    VGA input, for what? Only one half of the screen?

schmidtbag likes this.
  13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Once it gets this wide, the curve actually becomes useful. Not that I would buy such a wide monitor, but I have my 3 monitors on my desk arranged with a make-shift curve (ie. the two on the sides slightly angled), because full flat makes it hard to look at them as the distances changes so much, and now when I turn towards them, I actually look at a screen facing me, instead of facing to a point 1m next to me. :p

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Shows how little you know. Its not a small market with the sim community world wide.
    Ultrawides are huge for people who dont like triple wides for racing rigs.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    4k doesnt even equate to a 21:9 ration. Please become informed before such idiot statements to ultrawides (+)

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You need to chill out. Just because you and maybe people you know personally have an interest in ultra-wide displays for racing, that doesn't mean it isn't a niche market. This is a $1000 product. People don't tend to spend that much for a few games. Are you telling me steering wheels with manual gearbox and pedals also aren't a niche product? Because those are, and I'm sure they're a lot more common. There's nothing wrong with that.

Also, Hammie was just saying he/she prefers a taller display, as I'm sure most people do (myself included). I don't feel he/she seems to understand who this product appeals to and I don't agree with their opinions about ultrawides, but calling someone an idiot outright like that is unnecessary.

17. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    This is basically triple monitoring with a single screen. But 1080p is way too last decade.

18. 4g3d

4g3d Guest

GPU:
    AMD/2
  19. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Did I call you a idiot ? No I respect people. I never said 4k is 21:9 ..... I am sorry if I hurt your feelings with my post. I have done research, hell I spent 703 dollars shipped for my Sammy 28" 4k resolution. When 4k first came out. Its not even LED, but I dont like LED,, I wanna see the picture how I would see it on my old old Sony CRT FW900 22.5" viewable and 2304x1440 resolution. Used it for over 10 years. LED is just a light in the monitor to show things brighter, And I hate glare as well.

Back to you Athiest boy wonder, curved is a gimmick which is why when you go to Costco their all flat TV's. Used to be some curved ones but not anymore. I stated my opinion and your calling me a idiot. I never said anything about ratios and 4k... All I said was I dislike this monitor cuz its too wide, and I cant play a tennis match. If you have nothing positive to add then think before you call me a idiot. Thank you