PCIe SSDs slowly replacing SATA3 SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You know it, in my reviews I have been complaining for a year or so now that the developments for the SATA interface are not progressing. Most SATA3 SSDs these days are limited by the narrow bandwidt...

PCIe SSDs slowly replacing SATA3 SSD

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    They just need to drop in price.

Rather have a few cables than pay 50 bucks extra for speeds youre not going to notice in normal day use.

BReal85, Maddness, rpsgc and 5 others like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This. For an average user, Nvme adds nothing of value + it costs more.
    You will never see a similar performance gain as when you upgrade from HDD to SSD.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Maddness, HandR, rpsgc and 1 other person like this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Don`t ruin implants in consumers` heads - true enthusiast should use only newest hardware.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Considering how old sata 3 is already, it's weird there's no sata 4. I guess nobody is developing one? Most people haven't got too many M.2 slots. PCIe addon cards with an M.2 slot or two of them must be numerous, though I never look at them.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The problem is that the add-on cards require PCIe bifurcation.
    Not all intel boards support that, and some AMD boards do.

I'd like to see the M2 connector go vertical, rather than laying flat on the motherboard. It takes up so much space!!!
    They should be inserted like Dimms really, space wise.

Sata is basically dead I think for now. They tried to double up the bandwidth with SATA-Express, which was just terrible in terms of connector size, and space taken on the mobo also.
    U2 isn't much better.

We probably need a 4-in-1 cable that has one connector on the Mobo, and breaks out to four M2 connectors, or more.
    We could also do with seeing some more M2 backplanes for PC's, stuff that either fits in the 3.5in bays, or 5.25in bays, or both.

7. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I have an M2 for OS drive, it's nice.
    One thing though, how do you migrate an M2 drive to another M2 drive when your old one is dying?

8. Dazzzzm8

Dazzzzm8 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti
    Is SATA4 a thing ? Or even coming ?

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
  10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    SAS 12 Gb/s has been a thing for years, can't they readily port this over to SATA?

GSDragoon likes this.

11. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    M2 is nice to have but definitely not essential and day to day t's very hard to notice any difference compared to a normal SSD and for the average user, they will not notice any difference.

Unless we really start going the micro PC route for the majority of PCs sold where space is really at a premium, I can't see why manufactures would change from SSD to M2 until it's cheaper for them to do so and at the moment M2 are much more expensive than SSD

12. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    M.2 is just the form factor... it's NVMe you guys are talking about.
    I think M.2 SATA makes the most sense right now.

cryohellinc likes this.
  13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good point! My bad. ;)

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    My issue with NVMe ssd's is that with consumer cpu's that only have 16 pcie lanes, you use up 4 up those lanes on the NVMe, meaning your gpu will only be running with 8 pcie lanes. Now this might not make a huge difference performance wise with a single gpu, but it can still affect performance, especially at 4k, and i personally wouldn't ever sacrifice potential performance for slightly faster loading times.

rpsgc, TheDeeGee and Fox2232 like this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That would be pretty dangerous. M.2 drives are long and have thin PCBs.

If anything, M.2 Slot itself may be rotated in way that M.2 PCB is angled by 90° from MB. (Like mentioned memory.)
    That would be less risky in case that M.2 slot itself can be robust enough. And in space of one M.2 drive, one could then fit 4. (If CPU has sufficient free PCIe lanes. Which is why non-server/workstation users do not actually need such solution.)

Luc likes this.

16. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Yesterday i cancelled my order of a 2 tb 660p from intel.

At first i got excited of how cheap it is but then i read how it's speed gets crippled once it gets half full. QLC is cheap for a reason.

17. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    @Fox2232 good point, but in time new CPU's will change this and the cost will go down so
    "slowly replacing" is the right word.

18. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    It was bound to happen as M.2 is a lot smarter than SATA which requires additional cables and is connected directly to the PSU.

In terms of NVME, it's nice but most users won't feel any difference between the 2.

19. Devin Johnel Goss

Devin Johnel Goss Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio 11GB
    I think the whole problem with any PCIe based storage is proportionally related to the utilization of your "motherboard's" lanes. CPU/chipset manufactures need to increase available lanes if we ever want to see sole M.2 (NVME) adoption. My motherboard "only" has 24 lanes of which most of them are being used by my GPU/m.2/sound card/wife card.
    I wholeheartedly agree with EvilDead that we need to move them vertically to conserve space and increase access to them. I have to take my freaking GPU out to even get to it. If they were neatly stacked next to each other as our RAM is life would be better. Personally stopped buying SATA SSD's 2 years ago and I only recommend them to folks who wish to bring new life into "older" setups. OEM's are already seeing diminishing SATA SSD's sales which will undoubtedly shape our very near future towards greater adoption.

rpsgc and mbk1969 like this.
  20. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Motherboards take that into account and won't offer multiple NVME M.2 slots usually.
    you can use M.2 SATA based without taking PCIE lanes.

Luc likes this.