NVIDIA talks about Pascal - Will be fast and has 3D Stacked Memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    This sounds like its being way over hyped i doubt much is going to change.

3. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Does this mean - next gen GPUs will have 12, 16 and 24 GB of vRAM? And the high-end Titan model 32 GB?
    Seems to be a big leap for one generation.. I doubt this will happen, sounds more like a marketing trick to me.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I wonder if this has any relevance to gaming? The extra memory bandwidth is gonna help, but I don't know if anything else he said is gonna specifically help gaming??

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    It's expected, the only way VRAM is heading is upwards. 3D stacked allows density increase much faster than previous generations, which required shrinking of manufacturing process.

You have mobile phones with bigger resolutions than your average PC now. Games/technology will be aiming push 4K an above resolution plus VR is starting take off too, so demands on VRAM capacity will be greater. Basically don't buy card now thinking 8GB VRAM will be enough to be future proof for 3-4 years, because it won't be.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't see anything besides the stacked memory to have much relevance to gaming. I guess that deep learning thing is more directed at a professional, cumputing interested audience.

7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Fact they already talking about 32GB on their next generation card, should tell you where VRAM requirements are heading.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Same old story: Not as long as games have to work on consoles. Even now we're just heading past 3GB because consoles finally have reached the capacity the pc had for quite some time. Of course, the few pc exclusive and pc optimized games might make use of more, but I doubt that to happen in the near future (as of 2015/2016).

Certainly. The next 'Titan' might just do that, that's why I'm anxious to see what comes after the more or less expected specs and performance of the TitanX. Might jump on board in late 2016 then ;)

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Just what I was thinking. I mean Nvidia has ramped up VRAM really high with the Titan X. And this was just out of the blue, I didn't see that coming. Frankly I expected 8GB.

And the next generation would offer 32GB (probably on the next Titan)? That's absurd amounts of VRAM, and that sounds like 8/12GB will be standard.

Pushing 4k maybe? Someone else said that we have 1080p on our high-end phones. It WOULD indeed make sense to push monitors' resolution sky high. I honestly hope that's the case.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Cloud Castles...
    Games will always run just fine on 80% of gaming hardware which is in use in year of release.
    Otherwise there would be no sales.
    Look at steam or anywhere where they have statistics per user. Cut off bottom 20% gaming PCs and you get that average PC which user has.
    And it costs fraction of what will nV ask for 16/32 GB Pascal.

Adoption of 16/32 GB Pascal by few % of gamers will not increase minimum/optimal requirements of games.
    (unless nVidia compensates developers of such games for their loss)

This is marketing. It works, it supports Titan X Sales and will make people think twice about r9-390x 4GB version.
    But I am pretty sure that even 1440p will be just fine with 4GB of vram for next few years.
    Think about things which are stored in vram. How big are those things to fulfil their purpose. Will those requirements change over time?

How big textures one needs with 4k screen? How much space they take even uncompressed? Most of resources in vram today are precached even on 4k (they are not immediately needed and may not be even used).

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not too much, remember the reaction when they talk about computing on GPU the 1st time... wait and see.

this is for pro, most of the time, Quadro have twice of VRam than the Ge with the same GPU

there is always a pendant to Pro GPU in the normal line of product... it come after. (it mean: the future of the future... for now it is 9** gen lol)

12. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    lol @ 16 or 32gb being used in the next 4 years. that defeats the purpose of all the new tech and vram multicard allocation

13. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Lets see what eclap says about this, i think he wil be thinking twice now again before saying something that 3.5 or 4 gb should be enough, same as for some other folk ;)

14. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    It is enough though. Most people won't be playing at 4K. 4GB is plenty for 1440p, you'll get the odd game every year that wants more than that, just for marketing as a certain someone said in a review. Some games cache to fill the Vram, but will still perform fine without being able to do that.

Most games are made for consoles, they have unified ram, PC also has ram which can be used, so I don't think games will struggle with 4GB. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, you can never future proof a system.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why did you buy 4GB cards then after all your talk? You shoud've waiting for Titan X and 12GB Vram. The you can sleep at night...

16. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    I sleep like a princess.

17. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Thats allot of odd games coming this summer then ;)
    Anyway this was going to happen, dont believe in imaginations because this is the real world, no vram bull**** from nvidia.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk, sounds to me like you have Vram issues. :D

19. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Its soooooooooo funny when people say 4 gb is enough wel thats in the past now, 4 gb is not enough anymore above 1080p with ultra textures.

So i am not complaining [yet]
    I can feel the pain tho from al those gtx 970 3.5 vram folk :(
    I wish nvidia could refund everyone with a gtx 970, but thats just aint going to happen.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I sleep like a king.