Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vidik, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    One of the key weapons in Nvidia’s arsenal against AMD is its deluge of Game Ready drivers. Virtually every major PC game release in the past two years has been accompanied by a day one, WHQL-certified Game Ready driver from Nvidia, designed to make the latest and greatest games run wonderfully on GeForce graphics cards. They’re great!

Sometime in mid-December, however, you’ll be able to install Game Ready drivers only via GeForce Experience—and even then only after you’ve registered a verified email address with Nvidia. The drivers you can grab on GeForce.com or via Windows Update will be limited to quarterly releases for bug fixes, new features, security updates and so on. More frequent Game Ready drivers will be GFE-only.
    :puke2:

Full article:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993...s-behind-geforce-experience-registration.html

Guess forcing SLI users to use it wasn't enough. So what's next? Sign up with facebook to change desktop resolution settings?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-experience-gets-a-fivefold-of-new-features.html

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. David Ryder

David Ryder Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ti SC ACX2
    I switched to Nvidia because AMD had driver issues. since then Nvidia drivers went down the crapper and now this stupid thing. I might even sell my 980ti and downgrade myself.

3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Imagine this..: we gonna need "cracked" gpu drivers..how awesome is that??

Pathetic move.

4. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    I already have this Geforce experience nonsense, for shadowplay only, its just bloatware other than shadowplay, but now we have to use it.

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's a bull**** decision for sure.

6. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
  7. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I use it with no problems, so I don't mind.

8. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    Will it be possible to do a clean install ?

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Nvidia just went full potato...

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    no thx. I only install driver+phsyx, everything else I delete even before the installation.

If this happens, someone will simply post the driver files instead of nvidia.

I mean seriously, the new geforce experience features are useless. if you are a legitimate gamer, most of your games are on steam/uplay/origin/gog, and all of these have overlays already.

Who wants an overlay on top of an overlay, on top of an overlay?

Shadowplay should be the app that gets theses features, and it should be independent from geforce experience.

I wanted to use shadowplay several times, but didn't, because it's tied to geforce experience.

And I certainly won't be installing geforce experience to get driver updates.

11. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    As I keep mentioning: GFE currently breaks NVIDIA Inspector's profile export feature if it's installed.

For those that use profiles; you know that some settings will reset upon driver installation.

To go further, GFE resets even more settings than a driver installation does.

So, if you install GFE to get the updated profiles, you need to uninstall it the next time you want to update your drivers and restore your old settings.

Now, we're going to be forced to keep it installed, breaking NVI, or constantly installing and uninstalling it. Or, just sit and wait months for when they do a non-GFE driver release (quarterly).

Horrible move from NVIDIA.

Unless they vastly slim down the program (seriously, it can load 15+ processes and uses 500MB+ RAM along with inject itself into everything), or stop it from resetting profile settings on driver installations, then this will only hurt the enthusiast community.

I trashed the old NVIDIA Update service back when it was first introduced.. now I'd love to have that back instead of this awful program.

Oh, NVI could also get updated to fix this issue, but it's been over a year since the last update; no idea if the developer is still working on it. Still wouldn't solve the problem of GFE being extremely bloated.. but at least we can disable all the services/startup crap and only launch it to update drivers.. for now anyway.

Edit: Chrome and Firefox were both randomly crashing when watching media content. DWM also crashed randomly. Upon investigating I noticed GFE's services were running. Disabled them, no more crashing.

Then today I tried to test stream with the latest GFE beta to see how Shadowplay was at capturing 1080p60 video. Not only did it not work, but it softlocked my system and I was forced to use the reset switch.

Turns out GFE is even worse than I thought it was.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  12. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    OMG, they can shove their geforce fart experience up their ass...

13. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Been express updating through GFE with little to no issues for most of this year. It seems the people that have the most problems are those obsessed with not installing any of Nvidias extra software and probably suck off CCleaner every night before they go to bed. :wanker:

I've said it before, but don't be surprised if by the end of next year the entire NVCP will be integrated into GFE and it will be absolutely required. If you don't try and alter your install and don't mess around with your registry or ignorantly screw up your OS install you will have virtually no problems besides widespread problems that can be easily replicated and therefore quickly fixed.

The Nvidia Inspector thing is a real issue, Nvidia needs to have an internal profile backup program for when clean installing drivers. I've not encountered any profiles being reset when doing an upgrade install however. Nvidia needs to do the right thing and work with the Inspector developer and try and integrate it into some kind of "superuser" options menu within NVCP/GFE.

RAM usage is a non-issue, 500MB is nothing unless you are attempting to game on 4GB, in which case you are trying to game below what should be really minimum spec for newer games. You should be at 8GB minimum if you are playing anything from 2014 on.

14. vandinz

vandinz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970

It's about choice. I choose not to use GFE because I don't want nor need, any of the features. Forcing me to install something I DON'T want, isn't on. For the record, I'm a PC engineer, I'm a tad anal when it comes to keeping my computer running smooth.

For the most part, my Nvidia drivers have been great, apart from the last couple. Going back to previous sets fixes the issues, so it's not my system, or the fault of CCleaner either. Just because you don't have issues, doesn't mean there are none and those that do are at fault.

15. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Well, someone will manage to put the driver stand-alone here, after he will download it through that crap called geforce experience...

16. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    I laughed hard! :nerd:

but i would not worry, cracked drivers ftw! Off to torrents!

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

With DirectX 12 specific game optimisations shouldn't be much of an issue anyway. No doubt people will just upload the driver separately anyway :).

18. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    If you just admitted to using CCleaner then you are a sorry computer engineer. :p The vast majority of users that have issues think when they are "maintaining" their computer, they are really slowly destroying their OS install, which will affect everything else on the system. Clean install Windows and you probably won't have an issue with the newest driversets. OMGWTFBBQ, Magic! You're probably at fault here even though you don't like to imagine that sorcery.

You are speaking like someone from 2005 when a PC actually had to be maintained due to XP being a POS that would slowly degrade over time and require a reinstall. I have 89 processes in the background on my laptop and about 125 on my home PC. Both using about 20-25% of 16GB of RAM. Guess what? I am looking at 1-2% CPU usage, everything is running smoothly, I rarely have issues and virtually everything runs the way it was intended. You're being mad at the wrong things for the wrong reasons. Haha.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That may be a bit misleading. When your computer is idling, unless you mucked around with the power saving features the CPU will throttle right back and lower its voltage. That 1-2 percent isn't of the total CPU performance capacity, it is 1-2 percent of whatever reduced speed it is running.

20. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Which would further prove my point. You can have an immense amount of background processes and different things installed, and have a perfectly running system. You don't have to maintain a PC and have strict maintenance schedules to have a clean and optimal running PC anymore. That BS died with the XP/Vista era.

The more you try and stop processes, limit what is installed with Nvidia drivers, etc. the more prone you are to having issues which cause install issues, reduced games performance, critical registry issues, the list goes on. This is a move to try and calm down the immense tech support of dumb users messing with things that should be left alone.

It's like the idiots using Taskkillers in Android and wonder why their phone is running slow and draining battery. I deal with these kinds of people everyday and they never learn.