Nvidia Inspector startup problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by octiceps, May 30, 2014.

1. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    I'm trying to use Nvidia Inspector to automatically apply my GPU overclock at startup with its "clock startup task" feature. However, I get two errors and an nvidiaInspector.exe APPCRASH every single time when I log in. The clocks still get applied just fine, but I don't know how to get rid of this crash. Please help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Look like the crash is from NVAPI, you can try delay the startup of Nvidia Inspector.

3. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Adding a 30-second delay got rid of the crash and one of the errors, but I still get the "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." :(

4. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    What happen if you manual set it after boot?
    And did you use DDU before upgrade the driver?

5. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Well that's the point haha. Manually setting the overclock works just fine, but it would be a lot more convenient to not have to do it every single time I reboot or wake from sleep/hibernate, which BTW I had to manually set an event-based trigger in the task for so my overclock wouldn't be reset every time I resumed from suspend mode.

Of course, I'd prefer to just use MSI Afterburner, but unfortunately it doesn't allow me to overvolt my GPU like Nvidia Inspector does.

Didn't use DDU before driver update, just the 'perform clean install' option in the Nvidia Installer.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  6. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    hmm, I guess it can be somehow broken by the newer driver, if this happen after you installed newer driver, then just copy the old driver nvapi64.dll to the Nvidia Inspector folder.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I have a different problem with inspector, I think its only with the newer 337.xx drivers. The "apply settings" button is gone, cant save settings.

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    No issues with Inspector on my end. New drivers work fine.

Make sure you keep all the files in the archive for Inspector together in a separate folder, and run it as admin.

9. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Let me clarify. I no longer get the crash or the first error after I set a 30-second delay on the overclock task. But I still get this one:

[​IMG]

Nvidia Inspector works just fine when I open it manually, it's just that setting it to run automatically at startup through Task Scheduler is problematic, and unfortunately this is the only way you can auto-start an app requiring admin privileges in Windows 8.

Even running the task on-demand throws up the memory error, so it seems the main issue is that Nvidia Inspector does not get along with Task Scheduler. :(

I don't know what the behavior was with previous drivers; I've only started using Inspector for overclocking with 337.88.

Yeah I've got the two other extracted files in the same folder as the executable. Inspector always requires admin rights to run whether I set it or not, at least as of 1.9.7.2.

10. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    I've been trying to contact the developer, Orbmu2k, to no avail. Seems like he's a hard man to reach. :(

11. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, I guess it can be a bug on the software.

12. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    "Hard man to reach.." that's because he wanted to be like that. People can be such an ass, prideful, arrogant and such. Sad.

13. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Oh. Well, that's unfortunate.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    How do you know that? What if he had serious problems, health issues, family member died, etc. What if he's too busy to keep up? Instead of being grateful for an awesome free software he's giving us on what may be valuable time to him, we instead say he might be "an ass, prideful, arrogant", etc? Now thats sad.

15. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    I would gladly pay for support than to have freeware which doesn't work. :(

16. hexaae

hexaae Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX980M 4GB G-Sync
    Has this ever been fixed? I still can reproduce it trying to overclock on startup my 980m with drivers 361.91.

Windows 10 x64

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Is there a reason why Inspector is needed for this, rather than say Afterburner or Precision?

18. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    You mean like complaining about someone spending a lot of time writing a program and giving it away for free but not having the time to spend everlasting hours supporting it. For free?

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Pretty sure shadex meant he's a hard man to reach because he wants to avoid arrogant people.

But you got him though, it might be almost 2 years later, but man you got him.