Nvidia Inspector introduction and Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Nov 5, 2015.

1. shadow85

shadow85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 STRIX OC (SLi)
    Guy's is there any nvidiainspector setting we can use or any other method to make SLi work in Gears of War 4?

2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    These types of requests really belong more in my personal master thread:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=392715

This particular thread is more about simpler stuff like power management modes and other general Inspector issues.

However that being said, GOW 4 is DX12 only.
    This essentially means the game developer would have to implement at least implicit multi GPU support, before NVIDIA can do anything on the driver side.
    Explicit multi GPU would also be an option, and then the application is entirely in control of the GPU's (e.g. Rise of the Tomb Raider).

3. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @Orbmu2k Any new updates? Thanks.

4. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    Performance Level 2 not editable with Pascal Cards.
    Maybe you find a solution?
    I need it to make equal to Level 3, because NVEnc downclocks my VRAM because it forces Level 2..

5. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  6. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    @Guzz How do you get that section 8 - Extra? :eek3:

My program just shows up to 7 - Stereo and after that only the Other section.

I have no Extra section like you :(

edit: oh holy ****. The icon of magic has to be clicked first to enabled.

woah omg!

Thank you!

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  7. beeswax

beeswax Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
    Does anyone know if it's possible to leverage Profile Inspector to automate the tedious task of having to apply the "Prefer maximum performance" power setting for every game?

I don't want to enable it in the Global Profile because then the GPU sits at high clocks when the PC isn't doing anything. Is it possible to tell it to just change that one setting in all profiles without touching the Global Profile?

8. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    1. Set Prefer Maximum Performance globally in Nvidia settings
    2. Load up Nvidia Inspector
    3. Right-click on the bottom right 'Show Overclocking' button
    4. Select 'Multi-Display Power Saver' from the menu
    5. Thank me :) (actually, thank Orbmu2k)

In all seriousness you'll need to set a threshold of when MDPS should stop forcing low-power mode, I've used 10% to good effect.

Don't forget to tick 'Run at startup' as well. Then it's set and forget.

9. beeswax

beeswax Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
    Thanks Martigen, I just gave this method a quick try and it kind of works. The only issue is the minimum clock speed seems to be much higher than when the Global Profile is just set to "Optimal Power".

Optimal: 202MHz
    Prefer Max: 1544MHz
    Prefer Max w/ MDPS: 670MHz

Any reason for that? Is there somewhere better than here to post feature requests for Inspector?

10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Honestly setting "prefer maximum performance" either globally or forcing it in this way seems kinda overkill IMO.
    Just set it on a case by case basis instead, if there is a specific need for it.

And the amount of work required to do this in a few games is really nothing compared to the time and effort it takes to customize other driver profile features such as AF, SGSSAA, HBAO+, SLI etc.
    NVIDIA Inspector just "exposes" already existing driver features, and will always be manual in nature.
    "Feature requests" doesn't really make any sense in this scenario.

11. beeswax

beeswax Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
    I disagree but I guess that's user opinion for you and a product of different use cases for different users.

The options you say you spend lots of time changing, I never touch but that's just a usage case different to mine, its just as valid though. If you say you don't notice the problems associated with adaptive/optimal power and therefore don't have any interest in such a feature then I'm not going to try and suggest your usage case is overkill or unnecessary, just different to mine.

Personally, I would find the ability to change specific options for every profile except Global a very useful feature and in my experience I more often than not notice hitching or stutter in games where GPU usage fluctuates a lot. The adaptive power scheme is reactive by its very nature and for me, it's too slow at it. I've found it saves me time to just set every game to "Prefer Max Performance" before I even play because I know if I don't, at some point I'm going to be quitting and restarting the game just to change that setting anyway.

I've no idea what your second point means, to suggest that Inspector can't have more features added because it just hooks into existing profiles makes no sense. If Inspector was just a mirror of the Nvidia Control Panel with all the same features and no more, it would be completely pointless. Take for example the import/export profiles feature. This is automation of what would otherwise be a PITA if working manually with profiles. I'm only suggesting another form of automation working with the same set of profiles. Which brings me back around to the previous question: can new features be requested/suggested anywhere?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what?

I have global set to "Prefer maximum performance" and on my desktop with nothing open my card is in idle speeds, if that is not happen you have rogue program running that using HW/A

13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Never mind.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's kind of hit and miss. I have had PMP idle properly sometimes on one PC, but not at all on the other.

If Nvidia.txt format when exporting all profiles listed all the settings available per profile on a profile rather than just what is uniquely set on the profile. (This would make the file obscenely big however) one could use Notepad++ to automate replacing the specific setting on every profile but the global one.
    Again that's asking a bit much though and that text file would be unnecessarily big.

15. Orbmu2k

Orbmu2k Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    have you considered to try "Adaptive" instead of "Optimal" on global profile?

"Adaptive" works less agressive than optimal and i usually dont have to force any game to "Prefer maximum performance"

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That's like the opposite for me. I have it set globally to adaptive. But I often to have to set PMP per game to keep the GPU from idling.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  18. Serfrost

Serfrost Guest

GPU:
    G.SKILL 16GB 1600
    In regards to v1 and v2 Frame Limiting:

• Which are CPU-based, and which are GPU-based?
    • Which are applicable to OpenGL applications, which are applicable to DX apps?

Why? I'm using an OpenGL emulator and trying to run a 30FPS engine-locked game. I'm looking for the most solid 30FPS. Input lag does not matter at all. The emulator is extremely CPU intensive and very light on GPU usage.

That being said, what do you believe would be the best settings for a 60Hz monitor?

I'm mainly here because I was told v2 Frame Limiting does not apply to OpenGL and that v1 would do the exact same as v2. But I would like some clarity before making decisions and informing other people what the best choices would be.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Then 1/2 vsync is your only option, if the emulator supports exclusive fullscreen. 30Hz with vsync is another option if your display can do that (most probably it can't.) Lastly, G-Sync with a 30FPS cap would also do the job.

20. Serfrost

Serfrost Guest

GPU:
    G.SKILL 16GB 1600
    So 1/2 Vsync is the best solution for 60Hz. Unless it doesn't accept exclusive mode (I'm checking on that,) otherwise use 30FPS with Gsync.

If using Gsync for this OpenGL app, which should be used; Limiter v1 or v2?

What would be the best option for other frequencies?

Again, solid framerate with as little tax to the CPU as possible.

I appreciate the speedy response though. :p

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017