Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Dale7G

Dale7G Member

GPU:
    GTX 770m 3G
    Ok, INF. However I do no see a nv_disp inf. I do see a nv_disp security catalog

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    There is no underscore. Maybe just post a screenshot of what you are looking and I'll make sure you are looking in the right place.

3. Dale7G

Dale7G Member

GPU:
    GTX 770m 3G
    Well, only having 5 posts I am unable to link or post an image.

4. Dale7G

Dale7G Member

GPU:
    GTX 770m 3G
    OK fixed that problem.

[​IMG]

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The mobile drivers are a little different. It's hard to list each different file name it could use, you just have to kinda open em up until you see the right format, which you probably are unfamiliar with. I've seen nvts.inf or nvbl.inf, even something like nvram.inf. I don't see those, but things like it. Try maybe looking at this
    http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/325series/32731_win8x64/nvbl.inf
    and see if you can find something similar.

6. Corbear007

Corbear007 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    I have a gtx 760 I'm trying to downgrade to 314.22 to stop the TDR errors everyone receives (Taking the driver out of the picture) followed the steps (Mine is the nv4_disp)

I am pasting the following codes as is
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1187% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1187
    %NVIDIA_DEV.118E% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_118E
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1193% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1193
    (Note NVIDIA_DEV.118e is exactly the same as DEV.118E% in the second paste bin)

The string codes are in as well
    NVIDIA_DEV.1187 = “NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760"
    NVIDIA_DEV.118E = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)"
    NVIDIA_DEV.118e = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OEM"
    NVIDIA_DEV.1193 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OEM"

I have tried to line up the spacing, I have left it exactly alone I still receive the "Graphics Driver could not find compatible Hardware"

Anything I'm doing wrong? I know I'm posting in the right places as they line up almost identical to the listings above and below also the string is at the bottom, and the windows 7 is near the middle, with exactly the code laid out, I've tried moving around the code to different spots, I've tried moving the code to the top and bottom, adding in the spaces (highlighting you can see a set number of spaces on all the other lines of code)

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You can only go so far back with drivers and newer cards. I think I remember someone saying you can only go back as far as 32x.xx with the 700 series. If you are feeling adventurous you can try changing the section number to match a somewhat similar card in the INF, but I've never attempted that.

8. naughtyjames

naughtyjames Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4gb
    I can't get this to work with my GTX 760... seems like i'm stuck to not actually been able to play games, on my brand new "gaming PC"

has anyone got it work on the 760?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why would you not want to use the shinny new 337.50/61?

And yes it works on the 760.

10. naughtyjames

naughtyjames Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4gb
    I get the same issues with the latest drivers.

Kernel errors / pixels on screen before crash to desktop / black screen with audio still going.

It's only for certain games though, for example i could have the latest Need For Speed running for days without an issue, but the latest Assassins Creed, Battlefield etc die after about 2 minutes.

11. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    I found out WHAT went wrong

i deleted in past this 2 lines

NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"
    NVIDIA_A = "NVIDIA"

this lines is obrigatory to inf modded i discovery a few days (after years)

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If I wanted you to delete lines I would have told you to ;)

Glad you sorted it out.

13. kirit1193

kirit1193 Guest

What does the Section String mean? I have a Dell 2GB 680M which I'm trying to install on my MSI GT-60. From the link you provided, the Section is given as 002. However everywhere in the infs, the Section is either 033 or 069. what do I go with?

14. jboyee247

jboyee247 Guest

GPU:
    GTX770SC 2gb (x2) SLI
    Newbie first post so please be gentle.
    I've been trolling around the forum for a few hours and I'm guessing someone here might be willing to help.

I have 2 GTX700 SC 2GB is SLI mode. If there is an file I can send someone to modify for me to make these work as Quadro cards so my Sony Vegas 12 will utilized them correctly I've got a Paypal account and I'm not above sending out some cash for the help. Time is $$
    I hope this doesn't offend the members of the forum.
    Thanks in advance.

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @kirit1193
    It's supposed to identify 'like' cards. It was talked about before in this thread. It was suggested that you should change that section when you mod the INF to a section that already exists that closely matches your own card.

Though I've seen no benefit of doing that. You shouldn't have to change that number at all for the INF to let you install the drivers.

@jboyee247
    This guide will let you install Quadro drivers, but it will NOT turn it into a Quadro card. The performance will be unchanged in Sony Vegas 12.

I'll help you out though, this needs to go in the [Strings] section;
    NVIDIA_DEV.1184 = “NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770"

And this needs to go in the section for your OS (read the guide)
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1184% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1184

Don't let anyone charge you to do this. It takes about 10 seconds.

16. Shibbb

Shibbb Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780m
    I'm having the same problem as JCRUYFF where I am able to install to the drivers using the modified inf file but i get stuck on the windows start-up screen.
    I tried uninstalling intel hd drivers like he said but that still didn't work.
    I have a GT70 0NC with a faulty GTX 675m that I am trying to replace with a 780m and I thought i found the fix using this method but i can't get past the start-up screen :(.
    Anyone got any ideas?

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm not sure. I recently made sure the guide was reliant and used it to install the 337.91 drivers on my 760. Worked fine. I hope you don't think you are going to be able to turn your 675m into a 780m, if your card does not work with all the other official drivers, using modded INF for unofficial ones I seriously doubt will make a difference.

I can only think it has something to do with it being mobile cards? Strange though, because the lists I got are from LTv2Go, which makes comprehensive INFs that contain all video cards, including mobile cards (the LT stands for laptop).

If you want you can try LTv2Go drivers.
    For example here is their 337.91 post. http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/30958-v33791-windows-8-64bit-nvidia/ Just make sure you copy over their INF download on that page as well.

18. ChubbyHippo

ChubbyHippo Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X 3GB
    Hi

First of all I would like to thank you for this guide. It has allowed me to update my Vaio CW's drivers for my GT230M from the last release in 2010 to drivers from 2014. I've tried many times in the past with premodified INFs and they have all failed or caused problems which required me to rollback my drivers.

However, I would like to add that the current guide in the OP does not work straight off the bat. The problem for me was step 3. The hardware ID I found on the pastebin link did not work.

Instead, I went to Device Manager, selected the properties for my GPU and then went to "Details" and selected "Hardware Ids" which gives me the following IDs.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2A&CC_0300
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2A&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2A&SUBSYS_905E104D
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2A&SUBSYS_905E104D&REV_A2

I then used those IDs in my modified INFs. I just added them all, so there are multiple entries.

And it then installed perfectly.

Wonderful work, and when you see how easy it is it makes it all the more frustrating that you spent the better part of $1000 on a laptop only to have the OEM not release any compatible driver updates 6 months down the line.

Stormyhorse likes this.
  19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah, for the pastebin links I let lpv2go do the work for me. There is no way I could make a proper list of all NV gpus outside of the regularly listed ones for typical official geforce drivers. But I'm happy that the guide gave you the information you needed to figure it out yourself. :D

20. xabev

xabev Guest

GPU:
    Go 6200
    I NEED TO ADD THIS CARD
    Code:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0167&SUBSYS_02211462

INTO THIS INF (ORIGINAL 333.11 WHQL 32bit)
    Code:
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTx86.6.3]
    %NVIDIA_DEV.0FFB.10DB.1462% = Section083, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FFB&SUBSYS_10DB1462 
    %NVIDIA_DEV.0FFC.10DB.1462% = Section086, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FFC&SUBSYS_10DB1462 
    %NVIDIA_DEV.11B6.10FC.1462% = Section123, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11B6&SUBSYS_10FC1462 
    %NVIDIA_DEV.11B6.10FD.1462% = Section123, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11B6&SUBSYS_10FD1462 
    %NVIDIA_DEV.11B7.1100.1462% = Section126, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11B7&SUBSYS_11001462 

PROBLEM:
    There's no string that closely matches to the card.

QUESTION
    How to determine the correct "Section ID" ? :bang:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014