Nvidia Hotfix Driver 496.98

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SyntaX, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Theres been a few tdrs in recent drivers, i could provoke one with my home threater by switching to<>from that input too quickly on the first boot.

You don't always see this because Partial Engine resets don't get logged by the Display logger, only the nvklddm logger.

2. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Do ppl still bother disabling MPO with these recent drivers or was the issue fixed?

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    only the (not nvidia bug) chrome/youtube stutter.

4. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    So its still there.Does the MPO setting get reset if you clean install a driver or do you have to re-apply the registry edit if you change driver? Talking about this https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021

5. n\/Cl34r

n\/Cl34r Active Member

GPU:
    @kman
    Its a setting in windows, regarding windows. It would be strange for the nvidia driver installer to touch it (..silently?)

I have been using every single driver recently released and had no issues with any of them. Though, only ever since i switched G-Sync to run in fullscreen only. Back when i had it "fullscreen and windowed", i kept getting blackscreen TDRs.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Maybe it still happens then, but i never see it.

Last time i had TDR messages pop up was when i still had a GTX 680.

7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    hotfix for a hotfix for a hotfix,nvidia drivers since ampere.

Smough likes this.
  8. ParKur

ParKur Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    will they return the ability to adjust the sharpness separately, without including scaling.

Smough likes this.
  9. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    New drivers fast is better than one driver a month :)
    My opinion

XantaX, SyntaX and TheDeeGee like this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    unless they're hotfix drivers that plug up things that should be working in the first place

11. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M

This guy is an actual gamer, and his oberservations are all on point +1 +1 +1

However, nothing will change... all we can do is wait for the forum trolls to come, and tell you:
    "DCH drivers do not cause any performance degradation, compared to Standard drivers. Trust us, you're dumb!"

12. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    Everything should just work in the first place and then we'd never need a new driver ever. One driver to rule them all!

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  13. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    None of us here are real gamers and all just professional forum trolls pointing out how dumb you are.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  14. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    In his defense it could be an actual thing.I remember the 8 bit/10bit dpc latency issue that was reported months before nvidia admitted it was an issue and I remember the few ppl that noticed the issue got pretty much the same treatment "its a you issue".
    Fast forward to 472.12 and its a fixed issue.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    chinobino and aufkrawall2 like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This isn't a hotfix for a hotfix, its just more fixes ontop of the GRD.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You know very well that the MPO dpc latency issue was not affecting every single user that happened to have an 8bpp display/MPO's.

If the DPC trace requested was performed by those affected instead of whining about it and immediately going back to old drivers it would have been found faster, its impossible to fix bugs for conditions that you're not getting on test machines.

Same can be said about the frequent "this driver is slower" or "it uses more cpu than driver X" users.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nice coincidence.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    This driver made my coffee machine brew slower, refrigerator heat and iPhone spamming random messages. /trollmode off

Driver works quite well on my end, didn't run into any issues with it so far.

19. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    I see that sentiment and agree with you, but I have a different lens for my view:

Nvidia drivers, I have found, are batter than radeon/amd. My personal view on diver issues is based on having half my world be work related and the other half to be entertainment (games/apps, non work etc). I had to make a decision several years ago on which platform to base things on (nvidia or amd) and the decision was driven by reliability for my work applications and less so on personal.

With that said, while my stuff isn't the mean / average build, it is within the official supported product line. I understand that 90% of users are the target audience and that those issue are the drivers for the priorities at nvidia. That also makes sense.

However, selfish me, wants the 4k and 8k, 10-bit, dch, issues I'm experiencing to be resolved as the cards I bought from nvidia are supposed to perform and work with DP 1.4dsc, HDMI 2.1, 10-bit, and the 4k resolutions without all the issues I have had. So yes, these drivers are probably very stable and usable for that 90% (could be more could be less, I picked it as an indicator of majority/mode) of folks, but as my stuff is also their product line and supposed to be supported, I do expect not to have these issues.

The software I use on my personal PC has to also work on 119 other high end workstations at my work, I/we do some very specialized work. For those stations we generally use quadro/pro cards and windows enterprise or server, depending on what license we have to use for the software and respective configuration. The issues in 10 bit, quadro/pro, blanks on app switch etc, also occur on that product line, and yes , we have had and have tickets in on it. I haven't even touched the issues on containers and virtualization.

When I report driver performance issues such as degradation, its less opinion and more of a measure "in my unique environment". On non pro cards and on the regular drivers. This is supposed to be an enthusiast forum. In example, when nvidia hobbled 3-way and 4-way sli - I provided the changes to re-enable it and get the performance back. It wasn't about if one likes or hates SLI, it was about the enthusiasts and trying to get some of the extra out of the hardware - recapture some of the magic.

For those of us with higher configurations, there really are dch/10-bit/ performance/ and stability issues.

Driver performance degradation:

Vulkan
    461.72 driver - Gravity Mark score 71.382
    466.77 driver - Gravity Mark score 71,424
    471.41 driver - Gravity Mark score 70,663
    472.12 driver - Gravity Mark score 69,057
    472.39 driver - Gravity Mark score 68,841
    496.61 driver - Gravity Mark score 64,362

DX12

461.72 driver - Gravity Mark score 67,344
    466.77 driver - Gravity Mark score 67,211
    471.41 driver - Gravity Mark score 67,315
    472.12 driver - Gravity Mark score 66,758
    472.39 driver - Gravity Mark score 65,446
    496.61 driver - Gravity Mark score 60,271

So in a nut shell, when folks say these are great drivers and work for them, I'm glad, but I also automatically assume that they have more mainstream build / environment

Benchmark
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/gravitymark-benching-top-score.440515/

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You should try supplying 2 kernel dump files, one without dch cpl installed, without the glitching, and one with it installed while the glitching is happening.

SmokingPistol likes this.