NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. frankgom

frankgom Guest

GPU:
    2 x NVIIDA GTX 780ti SLI
    for FFXIII: Anybody have found a good sli profile?, I've used the usual unreal 3 engine ones and doesn't seem to be scaling very well at 4k + 8sgssaa
    BTW this game looks amazing at 4k (native resolution) with gedosato plus 8xsgssaa or even better with 8sq+2xsgssaa

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    The game uses the unreal engine 3? It's usually more customizable.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No, it doesn't. It runs on the Crystal Tools engine used for Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy XIV 1.0.

He was just saying that some SLI flags from UE3 games worked pretty well.

4. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    @Mr Bonk

I would love to play using some downsampling+4xSGSSAA, but then I can't maintain 60FPS for 90% of the time, as I can with downsampling and 4xMSAA.

Curiously, using borderless fullscreen mode really seems to help maintain a steady framerate with FFXIII, not sure why...

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well, we'll have to wait to see if it gets fixed.

I'd rather play at 30FPS anyway personally, but definitely need to see if SE is going to do anything. Otherwise the game is pretty unplayable for me personally. Even locked to 30FPS, lots of performance issues

6. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    30fps in the game hurts my eyes. Literally. I think it's because of a lack of motion blur making my eyes actually process frames individually and get frustrated.

I am predicting that there will be next to no good flags for the evil within, hbao or aa. And it will be an extremely stuttery game when we try and uncap the fps due to the idtech engine. DSR will probably also be unrealistic except for those that love playing at 12fps or testing every sli flag available until they get their quadsli 980's working in the game ;)

Which they won't, because id tech and sli = lol. Don't bother.

7. Genome852

Genome852 Member

GPU:
    This worked, but disabling it changes the aesthetic of the game. Areas that are supposed to be bright and sunny are now really dark, etc.

DSR makes the text unreadable since the UI doesn't scale, even at 1080p the text is really small.

I think I'll just stick with the MSAA option, it's working well in this game anyways.

8. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    @Mr Bonk

An interesting finding. It seems if you set Inspector to 'Enhance the Application' and only specify the SGSSAA bits, you can use SGSSAA along with GeDoSaTo's downsampling and MSAA without having to jump through the hoop of setting your desktop to the higher resolution etc.

Curiously, I am also unable to reproduce the HBAO hair issue from your screenshots using the Dead Space flag ... did you have it set to Quality mode?

Here's a 1080p 'printscreen' screenshot of the following settings:
    • GeDoSaTo downsampling from 1660p
    • GeDoSaTo 4xMSAA plus coverage sampling
    • Application Controlled for AA setting in Inspector
    • 4xSGSSAA for Transparency Supersampling in Inspector
    • Quality AO with Dead Space bits (0F) in Inspector
    • OSD is active so you can see my GPU clocks and FPS, though adding the SGSSAA drops me to 30 most of the time..

[​IMG]

And here is a full-size 1660p GoDoSaTo screenshot of the same settings:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  9. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Ok so I have been playing borderlands the pre sequel at the highest ingame settings, fxaa disabled. And comparing dsr and gedosato, dsr is in my opinion of a 20% higher visual quality at 3840x2160, it gives me 38fps on my gtx 670. Very choppy. Via gedosato at 3830x2160, I get 69fps. Smooth.

I would very much just like to use DSR, however i wish they provided us with an option for a more performance friendly filter.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Plus, it's OpenGL, which literally = if the game doesn't have it. Good luck!

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You could always either

A.) See if 8xSGSSAA is clearer. (There are a lot of known games where SGSSAA gets blurrier the lower the sample count)
    B.) Disable framebuffer effects, try to mimmick with SweetFX, probably wouldn't work. Or could just come up with some other solution.
    C.)if 8x isn't sharp enough, I would sharpen it moderately and see if that's good enough.

I really wish Bioware didn't remove the controller UI's for their game's on PC. Then you'd be able to downsample :/

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Very interesting!

I was about to test all this myself as well retest the AO, but I accidentally deleted the game. Now gotta re-download it. >_>

13. frankgom

frankgom Guest

GPU:
    2 x NVIIDA GTX 780ti SLI
    For everyone with problems with antialiasing blurring the image I recommend getting
    the asus 287Q 4k monitor as in the osd menu has an option called vivid pixel that works very well shaperning the image (10 modes), it's a lot better than the sweetfx sharpening and naturally it doesn't make an impact on framerate.

14. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    SGSSAA for styx:master of shadows

0x080000C1

didn't notice anything that would require AA fix so far.

KainXVIII likes this.
  15. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    @whitespider

In Borderlands the pre-sequel, you can use 0x080000C1 for SGSSAA. Using 4xSGSSAA at native or at 1660p (GeDoSaTo) might give you better image quality and/or performance?

16. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    I'm actually running the game at 0.3x below my native resolution using gedosato via bicubic (my fav filter) combined with fxaa it gives a very smooth look which is worlds better than upsampling via the driver, even since nvidia raised the quality of upsampling (they have, 1920x1080p on a 2560x1440 monitor looks worlds better now on nividia, without the performance hit of DSR because it's using a far simpler method).

Fxaa combines VERY well with gedosato's bicubic filter. If gedosato ever get's dx11 support, i'm never going to activate DSR again, despite me actually preferring it's filtering over every other alternative. It's just far too expensive.

17. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Borderlands Pre Sequel

I would say the best looking is 3840x2160 via DSR, probably due to the gaussian filter. But its performance is nil--can't run it above 15 frames or so.

GeDoSaTo 3840x2160 (Lanzcos) looks damn near similar to DSR, while being entirely playable.

4xSGSSAA+4xMSAA and 8xSQ are 99% identical--most people won't notice a difference. Although the latter has an average frame rate of 59 frames, while the earlier averages at 89 frames (just sat on main menu for 60 seconds). SGSSAA though has the added blur, so better for motion induced aliasing/both tried with 0x080000C1.

Pictures if anyone wants to see. SweetFX is just there for vibrance/contrast.
    Yeah they're compressed jpg's. Too lazy atm to redo them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Comparisons/images needed plz

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    SGSSAA definitely looks by far the best to my eyes.

But regardless, how are you getting those DSR shots ? I thought it only saves the raw resolution shots?