New Signs of a GTX 1100 Series, GeForce GTX 1180 without RT cores?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2019.

1. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Maybe yes, maybe not. It will be the first real RTX enabled game since launch. 6 months after new generation's gpu release, it could finally show us the joy of having an RTX 20 series gpu. I can't wait. :D

But, the question arising is, why if gtx 11 series coming to production, Nvidia chooses RTX 20 series for laptop? We know they are gonna be rather weak. They could give GTX for mobility.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So this 1180 is a basically a 1080ti. It has the same performance without ray tracing.

Nvidia this is a mess.

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    If it's a lot less than MSRP of the 1080ti I expect it'll do well.

schmidtbag likes this.
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't think it is 2 different architectures. To my understanding, the tensor and RT cores function largely independently of the rest of the die, so as far as I'm concerned, Nvidia could just laser cut those parts off (or just not include them at all) and everything should "just work".
    Think of it like Intel CPUs with and without an iGPU: the CPU architecture is exactly the same regardless of whether you have the iGPU or not, but, the models with the iGPU often still have a monolithic chip.

warlord likes this.

5. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    I highly doubt it as Nvidia themselves are pushing RTX so hard.
    maybe lower end parts will not support ray tracing.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    DX10 did not do much, DX11 better, DX12 is still a "why?" so ray tracing...who gives a flying... The main issue was that the performance hit taken for ray tracing required DLSS to erase it. Taking advantage of the new effects requires learning and implementing two new items at once. Of course there is not going to be many jumping on the bandwagon to implement both. Historically new tech is pushed to the enthusiast crowd first. Then after a good while it filters down to the mainstream. Market mechanics have not changed. Innovation on this level has not been released for a good while. These one or two games are only for the early adopters. If the adopters do not budge past the early adopters, then it is dead in the water. That is why the price of these initial RTX cards are so hefty. Has nothing to do with "Ngreedia." The early adopters foot the bill for the rest of us. The RTX2060 had to be. Just surprised it happened so soon. If the 11XX series comes about, just plain sad. That would indicate that we may not see ray tracing in games till the old tech is liken to beating a dead horse. We have been beating a horse...just not sure the horse being dead has been noticed yet.

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Historically, this is how it has always worked. New generation, GPUs step up about one step. A new x70 about replaces the old x80, the new x80 replaces the old x80 Ti, and so forth. So new generation, you get one "step" of the performance "for free". Only Pascal was different because the performance boost was much bigger then in previous generations, and in Turing the new generation is a bit too expensive.

So if these 11 cards are in fact true, and bring down the cost, then it would be the usual generational stepup.

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You're wrong. new x70 card matched/outperformed the previous generation x80ti card.

970 matched the 780ti and the 1070 matched the 980ti.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  9. kbx1

kbx1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Palit GR
    Raytracing as a technology is good and a step forward in graphics... from tech point of view. But in reality, from gamer perspective, when you play BV with RTX ON/OFF is it a big deal in terms of immersion? I dont think so. Also problem with this pc exclusive technology is that today console market dictates what will be a standard and what will not (whera are those dx12 games?). And another problem is that this gen performance is not good enough for RT games.

10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    I must have missed that, but what is the second game that supports RTX? :p

11. SharkyUK

SharkyUK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4090
    I find the hate for RTX laughable. It's a good thing and it is ultimately the direction that rendering is going to go in the future. The problem is that it is currently too expensive and that nVidia - arguably - should not have primarily targeted the gaming community. However, I do think they should have released the cards and I'm glad they did. At some point the technology needs to be introduced to the market so why not now? Sure, the costs are prohibitive but there will always be a fortunate few who are able to enjoy these products and swallow the premium costs that they demand. I have absolutely no issue with that whatsoever. You know, I'd love to drive around in a brand new Ferrari but I can't afford it; but it doesn't mean others should not be able to enjoy those levels of performance, luxury and features.

I've been writing 3D graphics software professionally now for nearly 30 years and absolutely welcome this direction towards ray / path tracing and dedicated hardware to accelerate the process. There's still a way to go but this is just the first step. It can feasibly be argued that a ray tracing engine is actually easier to implement than a cutting-edge 3D rasterization-based engine as you don't have to develop novel solutions and workarounds to simulate light bouncing around an environment. Ray tracing (and forms thereof) provide a good chunk of the results of the rendering equation as-is. It's just such an incredibly computationally intensive process and that's why performance (i.e. real time at high fps) will take some time to arrive at the resolutions gamers expect these days.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    to many naming scheme to many diffrent setups, nvidia trying to confuse people?

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i'll try not to pile on too much.

if Nvidia launched 11xx and 20xx at the same time i would have worn out my fingers writing about how clever they were.

instead i not only wrote about a premature launch with vaporware features, but also about how Turing was designed for a smaller node than what we have.

it's still technically brilliant, but so is the neighbors car. which you're not quite ready to buy one of the same.

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    so because a company doesn't sell their fastest consumer card for 5 bucks, they are greedy.

any of you driving a car: did you also whine to the car dealer that their 500HP sports version of "your car" is multiple times more expensive, and that almost no one will be able to drive it at/close to top speed in most markets?

i buy stuff with a certain budget in mind, and get the best performance i can get for that.
    Doesn't mean im gonna be mad at the ppl that have the money, nor will i blame the companies for having products out of my price range.
    and i actually prefer a 11xx naming instead of gtx20xx, especially for xx70 and up.
    a lot easier to misread/overlook and grab a gtx (vs rtx) vs having different numbers (first two) to tell them apart.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  15. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Isn't it obvious? The haters are nothing but illogical jealous paupers.
    Im too poor too afford Ferrari, im not hating it or consider it useless since you can drive to work on KIA Picanto.
    The RTX haters are just illogical people that cant.

16. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    How RTX is Vaporware? Its a chicken and Egg situation, you have to launch the product for the mainstream devs and indies to work on it and create content, thats how it works.
    The devs are not part of Nvidia, they wouldn't work on unreleased product just so OTHER company [Nvidia] could make monetary gains by releasing a video card with X amount of games available.

17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    BFV
    FF15
    In less then 3 weeks: RE2re
    Next month Metro Exodus

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    If they release gtx 1180 etc they will slow even more rtx adoption...so pretty much ...other than few tittles , we will see rtx in few generations again. At least this is my specilspecu if this rumor is true.

19. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    When someone gets a card out with 1080 Ti performance numbers for around $400-$450, I'll buy. I don't care if it's AMD or Nvidia, so long as it's reliable and doesn't get too noisy. Until then, I'm hanging out in my backlog where my current system runs games just fine.

20. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    ON SALE SOON!

Silva likes this.