New future rig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by elando, Jul 17, 2015.

1. elando

elando Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    So over the next few month I would like to start buying some new components and assemble a decent PC eventually.

So from my current rig I will keep only my 770.

I am also wondering whether its worth to keep my current RAM : Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVI38G160C9K)

and my current PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply

So any thoughts are welcome.

Now as with the new motherboard I am out of touch with the new ones and am not sure if its worth going with the 2011 socket and whether its future proof? for example I was looking at :

MSI X99S SLI Plus Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard ( as it's the cheapest avaiable for that socket and I am trying to keep it as low as possible but also future proof and I am a little bit flexible in terms of money)

and as for the CPU, again just because it's the cheapest but is this one any good? :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-504-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1672

So the next obvious question is if the RAM above will go with this motherboard and if its worth keeping the PSU as well for these new components or if it's best to get new ones?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. mexy750

mexy750 Guest

GPU:
    3x EVGA Titan X SC
    MSI X99S SLI Plus Intel X99 seems to be a decent motherboard (personally i would rather go with something from asus), but it is LGA2011-v3 only, so the processor you linket won't work, you need Haswell-E processors (so something like 5920K, 5930K, 5960X) and DDR4 for this board, so your current ram is no-go.

do you plan on going with SLI? - if no, then the PSU should be most likely ok (depending on the other HW in the system)

what is the budget for the system?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  3. elando

elando Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Oh thanks for pointing that out, I thought that it might not be compatible but wasn't sure.

As for the budget Im probably looking around 400-500 pounds. As for graphics card I might go SLI in the future but for now 1 is more than enough for me.

4. mexy750

mexy750 Guest

GPU:
    3x EVGA Titan X SC
    If by that budget you mean without vga, then i would probably go with the setup i had prior to my current one: GA-X79-UD3 + 4820K, which is DDR3 so your ram should be fine with it. I really loved that system, and regarding games x99 won't give you much more, imho.

If you also want to upgrade the vga within this budget, then maybe more like an i5 processor, so you have enough cash left for the vga.

5. elando

elando Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Ill skip VGA for now. Definitely new motherboard and RAM. Also would say I use a lot of programs like photoshop etc. Thanks for advice anyway.

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I'm not sure about going x79 on a new rig. That chipset is pretty old and doesn't have as good a feature set these days as the newer ones.

If X99 is more than you want to spend, and you are primarily using for gaming why not go z97 with a devils canyon CPU? Quad core is perfectly fine in games still.

Alternatively wait for the new Skylake processors and the Z170 chipset based motherboards - I think they are only about a month or so away now.

7. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    im still using x79 still kickes arse , but to my as new now prob not best thing to do

8. elando

elando Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I really dont mind that much if I get good quality and is fairly future proof for next 2-3 years. I might just wait for new motherboards and Cpu's if you guys think this is the best bet?

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'd say if you can hold out, wait for Skylake, like Mike said. With your CPU / mainboard you're fairly fine in upgrading, I had a 950 until just a few months ago and I feel it was a worthy time to upgrade. Wait for Skylake and you'll see all a few goodies from the X99 chipset moving on to the 'mainstream' hardware. You'll be off better, and you will be 'fairly future proof' for a couple of years again, I think.