Need help building my next rig!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Arronaldo8, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Arronaldo8

Arronaldo8 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 280 1GB
    Hi there guys, i have around a £1000 tp spend on my next computer just the computer nothing else and i would like some advise on what to hardware to get. i want it mainly for gaming nothing else really, but i do alot of browsing too.

so if i could have any advice on what:

Processor
    Memory
    Graphics card
    Mother board (OVERCLOCKABLE)
    Case
    Power Supply
    Cooling

Im asking you because i dont have a clue about all the new tech thanks alot doodes.

=D

2. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    CPU: Phenom II x2 500 BE, you don't need quad-core
    MB: for example Gigabyte 770T
    Memory: 4 Gigs of whatever you like, OCZ, Patriots, G-Skills...
    GPU: 5850 for example
    PSU: I'd recommend 600W for this, Gigabyte Odin or Zalman are good
    Cooling: that CPU will work fine on stock cooler overclocked to 3.8 if you give your case some airflow, so throw in 2x120mm fans like Scythe Slipstream
    Case: CoolerMaster are good and cheap, with great air flow, like Elite RC-330K, Antec is overpriced IMO

I have no idea about what prices you have there, so sum it up and let us know.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  3. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    CPU- Quad core is really required. There are so many quad-optimized games and you'll probably never see any more dual-core optimized games.
    PSU: Crosair makes a better choice than those.
    Case- Don't settle anything less than CM 690.
    Cooling- 3.8GHz? Get atleast Sunbeam CCF.

Cooler Master 690
    Gigabyte UD5
    Intel Core i5 750
    G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) RipJaws DDR3 1600MHz
    Crosair HX850
    Sapphire HD5870
    For cooling look at Sunbeam CCF, Megahalem. Don't know much about them but these are good.

Total - £900- £910

You can look at Core i7 but since its mainly for gaming I suggest Core i5 and invest rest in graphics/sound and other components.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Umm, reverse is true, most games aren't quad-core ready. Only some bad X360 ports like GTAIV are. Games on the CryEngine 2, Unreal Engine 3, Dunia Engine, and Source Engine all cannot use more than 2 cores and those are the largest used and powerful engines out there. Dual cores are very good at gaming but obviously why would we still recommend dual cores now-a-days for enthusiasts.

I'd recommend Core i5 or Phenom II for the processor. If you take the AMD route (well, the Intel route is obvious as there's only 1 chipset for the Core i5) be sure to take the AMD790-series chipset for best overclockability and CrossFire support.

I'd slap something like this:
    AMD Phenom II 955 BE or Phenom II 720 BE (you can get lucky and unlock a stable fourth core)
    GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
    XFX Radeon HD 5850
    4GB G.Skill DDR3

I don't have pricing as I don't like in the UK, so here's the gist of it. If I got the UK pricing, I could max it out with better parts but I don't so that's the AMD counterpart that I can build.

deltatux

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    above posts are all and good but i start with screen first then work out rest. are you planning on using your current monitor and what size is it?

also set us a budget or budget not of importance? (i wish).

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Tends to be if someone sets a budget they don't want to go over it. Else, why bother setting a budget right ;)?

deltatux

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    oops. i guess monitor isnt included in the £1000.

p.s jmppop's is looking good then...