Need explanation for some CPU and RAM things

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by 386SX, Nov 17, 2019.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi there.

I own a Strix X370-F and have an option called "BCLK Divider" in BIOS under my BCLK frequency setting. It defaults on AUTO and values selectable are 1 to 5.
    It is not LLC, there's a separate option for that. What do I divide with that? Clock for PCIe and stuff?

My other question is about standard values of b-die memory at bios safe settings. If you own a X370 board, ryzen 1st gen and b-die mem I would love to hear your RTT and CADBUS settings for 2133mhz all on auto and 3200mhz xmp (or what your kit is set to).
    2 screens of Ryzen Timing Checker would be nice. I try to dig into the RTT and CADBUS tuning more and want to know if there is a scheme involved which could be turned into a general rule for all maybe.
    My defaults at 2133, 3200 and even 3400 MHz are all
    RTT 0/0/5
    CADBUS 24-24-24-24

This works for me stable up to 3400mhz.

Any help is appreciated. :)

EDIT: 7/0/5 + 20-20-20-20 seems to work fine for 3200mhz, too.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    The BLCK clock is what people used to call front side bus which is directly connected to the I/O the divider will reduce the clock for USB/PCIe and allows you to increase the BLCK clock in all honesty i wouldn't bother with it. You might get to 105MHz BLCK clock but anything higher can cause your system to hang or worse yet corrupt the data on your hard drive/s

Depending on the samsung B-dies the latency values should be 14-14-14-14, safe value i guess would be 16-16-16-16 which pretty much all memory kits can do for 3200MHz.

You can use this app to give you the specific settings, https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-ryzen-dram-calculator.html
    however your memory should have XMP profiles this is under the Asus BIOS as D.O.C.P Direct overclock Profile or same crap like that but it's basically XMP.

3. geronimo666

geronimo666 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI rx6800 Gam. Z T
    Guys, I'm either blind or asus x370 prime pro doesn't have an option to change BLCK?
    it's default is 99.8 if I'm not mistaken? I have latest bios 5220.
    thanks

4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    @Dazz : Do you know a calculation scheme for the bulk divider? Because somehow I doubt the sense of some dividers then if it's "bclk : divider = pcie/sata/whatever clock" ..

Divider values range from 1 to 5.
    1 then would be no division.
    2 would divide 100 MHz bclk to 50 MHz pcie clock. That would be pretty slow, so anything higher than 1 doesn't make sense for 100 MHz bclk.
    ASUS gives ranges 100 - 104.8 = pcie 3.0 / 105 - 144.8 = pcie 2.0 / 145+ = pcie 1.0 ...
    140 would be 70 MHz pcie clock (with divider 2), 200 (!!!) MHz would result in 100mhz pcie clock.
    So you would have to use 140 MHz bclk or more before even thinking of using this divider.

The rest you told me I already know, but thanks for pointing it out again.
    But all this doesn't drive me off. I want to experiment with my rig, with tech in general and mess with things in ways they were not intended or combine things in an unusual way to create something new. I hope you understand my motives a bit. :)

And I asked for other users posting their RTC screenshots of 2133 and 3200 (or what speed's are possible with their kit) while timing and cadbus and rtt settings on AUTO.

As I said, my board defaults to procodt 53.3, rtt 0-0-5, cadbus 24-24-24-24 for any speed from 2133 to 3200. Higher and I have to touch those settings. It would be helpful to get responses. :)

@geronimo666 : I have the big brother of your board. Search for "APU clock" or "APU frequency" or the like. Something with APU. This is bclk. ;)
    I don't know your bios exactly, but it should be on the screen where you set voltages and DOCP profile and stuff. I am on 480....1?2? Somewhere there. So maybe naming has changed. And I use the "advanced mode" or what it is called, this easy mode is almost useless. Probably you have to enable that first if not done already. There should be a key for it shown on the bottom of the BIOS screen.

Maybe better ask in the overclocking thread in this same subforum. Better chance to find someone with exactly your board. ;)

5. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070

Most boards don’t have the option to tweak the BCLK because it’s not really recommended to tweak it. As for the 99.8 issue do you have the option to turn off spread spectrum? Turning that off on my B450 board raises the clock to 100.

386SX likes this.
  6. geronimo666

geronimo666 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI rx6800 Gam. Z T
    I have spread spectrum on disabled. blck is still 99.8.
    I don't have an option APU.
    I guess it doesn't really matter. I just wanted it on 100mhz.
    cheers.