MSI 3070 Ventus beeping at boot problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Shoonay, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Shoonay

Shoonay Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Running a MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC here since last sunday, on an ASUS PRIME Z390-A motherboard, and as soon as I switched to it from my Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 3X, my PC started adding four short extra beeps at bootup, which can be heard here: https://imgur.com/a/rk7MFAh
    Yes, I tried the usual suspects, reseated my RAM, reseated the card, replaced the battery, updated the BIOS and Windows to latest versions. The only thing that really got rid of the beeping was turning off CSM in bios, but none of my drives work after that so I had to go back.

Had a back and forth email duscussions with both ASUS and MSI support, provided all the technical details of my PC to them, and ASUS claims it's a know problem with vbios of the 3xxx series of RTX cards, they will provide an update sometime later in the middle of December to their cards, and of course each individual manufacturer has to address their own product.
    MSI just said it's a problem with the motherboard and said to contact ASUS.
    Not cool.

EDIT: That said, forgot to mention that the beeping is the only symptom, there are no problems afterwards, Windows 10 boots fine, all programs and games work fine, while running significantly smoother of course ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Mda400 likes this.
  3. Shoonay

Shoonay Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I will not waste hours of my life only to save a 2 second annoyance. :rolleyes:

4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Why bother to create this thread then?

insp1re2600 likes this.

5. Shoonay

Shoonay Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    New to the internets?

1. to jointly find a solution that I wasn't already aware of, and one that doesn't waste hours of my time
    2. to make people aware of the problem
    3. to complain that one company is pointing in the general direction of the other, instead of admitting their hardware is buggy

6. Shoonay

Shoonay Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    MSI just sent me a BIOS update to version 94.04.3A.40.63 and it doesn't beep anymore, problem solved.

7. greenhillmaniac

greenhillmaniac New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 Ti
    Long time lurker, created an account just to ask: how did you get MSI to send you an updated VBIOS? I've contacted their support through the register.msi.com link, but the assistant I've been assigned only talks in vague terms and doesn't even know if and when a fixed VBIOS is going to be released.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ask for a higher level CSR.

9. Shoonay

Shoonay Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I've told them that I also contacted ASUS, manufacturer of my mobo, and that they claim it's a known the problem with the vbios of the card and will sent a fixed bios soon, that got their attention ;)
    Anyways, someone on reddit asked for an upload so here it is if you know what you're doing: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/228182/228182

greenhillmaniac likes this.
  10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    did the new vbios manage to have rebar support?

11. greenhillmaniac

greenhillmaniac New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 Ti
    Maybe I'll start threatening that next time I'm buying from a different vendor :D

12. Shoonay

Shoonay Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Of course not, it's not that simple, first you've got to have an updated bios for your mobo, then nvidia has to update their vbios and send to all the different parties that make their gpus...

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I know...