Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Foreskin aside lol I am thinking about seeing it tonight as the divide between aggregate sites like RT & IMDB seem to grow greater by the month.... Birds of Prey holds an RT critic/audience score of 79/80 while IMDB sits at a fair 6.9 at of this writing. I’m not always sure how to quantify the “semantics” into what exactly is going on there... personally I feel like more and more in general the reviews on IMDB are very... pessimistic. On RT the critic ones are of course political. While I feel RT’s audience reviews are more pragmatic than IMDB’s and usually politically agnostic; being what IMDB’s used to be when the forums were active... more about quality of film. It’s not to say that doesn’t live on IMDB - but it is to say that the site has become a far cry from what it used to be. It isn’t as objective anymore. It shows. Films that are actually good are considered bad. It’s becoming hard to consider IMDB a known good source for well; reviews frankly. As for Birds of Prey - this is a film that will likely be love or hate thus likely in the eye of the beholder

Tiny_Clanger likes this.
  2. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Blade Runner 2049 got a panning but ive watched it twice(netflix). it wasnt really needed to the story of blade runner but its not as bad as the terminator reboots either.

The new(latest) terminator and predator look shyte.
    Im done with superhero/comic book films but i love M Night Shyamalan Unbreakable Split and Glass trilogy.
    Im one of the old fart brigade now but i still scream watching Young Frankenstein(its pronounced fronkensteen :D)

Watched Orphan on netflix, that is one fecked up movie but im gonna watch it again :D

If something takes my interest great, if it dont then my life doesnt end
    Each to their own. I love marmite(sarnies).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. mariopepper

mariopepper Guest

GPU:
    64GB
    Haven't seen yet. But I don't even want to. I don't like this character after watching Suicide Squad

4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    No wayyyy :eek::eek::D

5. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I am not a fan of any particular genre or era, i just like good(in my opinion) cinema. i was born in 67 so ive seen very old, old, noir, classics, funnies, british - ealing funnies etc, war with all the big names of those era's so my amazon buy list(or in my head) is mainly pre 1980 and i could spenbd thousands getting them and still miss out loads. A good film is a good film :)

Nowadays there are tons of great tv series, old, old british, new in boxsets that we didnt have in the early days of video and our 1st video machine(a DER(british users will remember them) rental) was massive and weighed a ton.

Luckily my children have picked up on the old music i like and with places like youtube you see how many youngsters actually like old stuff :)
    I blame my mother for my love of ABBA and Simon and Carbunkle(sic), thanks mum :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    ramthegamer likes this.
  6. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    So today decided to watch my first 2019 movie. Joker. It was good. But coincidentally today was watching some TV in the afternoon which I rarely do but came across National Geographic's LA 92 documentary. This was even better. Documentary without narration. Just raw footage, audio capture from the streets, news bulletins, press conferences and court trials. Was hooked and it was very interesting to learn about this event. This documentary was really well done.

7. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    RIP Max Von Sydow :(

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Birds of Prey. Well, this one was truly awful. Really, really dumb too. There are a few kicks that are nice and it can look nice, but it's really not a good movie.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  9. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I vaguely remember the film was there cars with a certain brand of car alarm they wouldn't touch and a scene where he throws a bunch of keys.

ramthegamer likes this.
  10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

Rollerball (1975)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073631/

"In a corporate-controlled future, an ultra-violent sport known as Rollerball represents the world,
    and one of its powerful athletes is out to defy those who want him out of the game"...

11. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Rollerball did that have a scene where glass was hanging from the ceiling?

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    You know what I watched the other day that I haven't seen in over 30 years?

220px-Teen_Wolf.jpg

That 80's humor, those were some great times. He's a werewolf, but nobody cares because he was awesome at basketball! :D

fantaskarsef and RzrTrek like this.
  13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Teen Wolf manages to be terrible and amazing at the same time.

I have so many good memories from that movie. Surfing USA on top of the van, the great score and keys weeze moment.

fantaskarsef and jbscotchman like this.
  14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Knives Out.

Never been a fan of the murder mystery but 'interesting times' and all that. Thought I would give this one a try and yeah thoroughly enjoyed it. Does the unusual by not leaving it till the very end to tell the viewer who the killer is rather opting to give you a story that looks at how the detective goes about working out who the killer is, along with some very interesting twists and turns. Add to that a pretty meaty cast list and Danieal Craig doing a wonderfully over the top Fog Horn Leg Horn South Accent I would give this a hearty thumbs up. Was even shocked when I found out that the guy before The Last Jedi also did this.

15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

Friday (1995)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113118/

"Two homies, Smokey and Craig, smoke a dope dealer's weed and try to figure a way
    to get the $200 they owe to the dealer by 10 p.m. that same night."

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Another 80's classic free on youtube.

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Meandering, boring go nowhere movie that somehow in some way makes Charles Mason boring. By far and away QT's worse movie. Stuffed with way to much of his typical cultural references and set pieces but unlike every one of his other movies were the references are in addition to great dialogue and plot and when or if they do get in the way it is usually done and dusted in a few minutes in this movie it's almost like the entire movie is a cultural reference literally at the expense of everything else.

On top of that it's horribly paced. The first two acts are a boring, meandering drag that takes place over the space of a few days, their is then an awful second to third act transition in which a narrator explains the events of the next six months before returning to an alt history third act that strays back in to almost QT typical levels of pace and violence. The worse part though is the entire movie is devoid of the typical set piece QT dialogue, the movie literally has nothing worth remembering.

Really really awful.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Burning (2018)

[​IMG]

Blew me away. Almost 2.5 hours long and slow paced, but unnerving and unsettling from the beginning to the end.
    One problem this movie might have is - it touches on too many things, tries to do alot. Although in my case it works well on all these many levels; needles to say this won't be the case with everyone.

So...If you're into say M.N. Shyamalan or you're just looking for a typical Korean thriller/mystery ala Vengeance trilogy, skip it. This is far more cutting edge/modern and far more demanding and I mean demanding in emotional way, not in intellectual or artsy way, although there are plenty of symbolism and literary references.

I don't see many ppl being lukewarm about it - I am guessing nearly everyone will be either fully in or out. Depending on whether they can connect.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Werner Herzog is a director.
    Nicolas Cage is a cop. Val Kilmer is a cop. Hell yeah!

[​IMG]

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Cant wait for this. Thought doubt it will be shown in theaters in July. Hope Netflix can buy the rights to it or something.