Microsoft strong arm policy

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by brothergc, Apr 13, 2017.

1. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    For those of you who do not know , MS has now adopted a policy that will block windows update from working If you have a 7th gen intel or amd CPU running windows 7
    ( google this seeing I cant post links )
    So I did some digging on my system which has a 7600k and windows 7
    their are 2 updates that will cause this issue
    the one just relased today , KB4015549
    and KB4012218
    KB4012218 is a optional update but KB4015549 is a sercurity update . I see this as nothing more then a strong arm tactic to force people to windows 10 . While I might understand blocking optional proformance updates , sercurity updates are nessary .
    IMO this is unacceptable business practice shoving a OS down someones throat . I have run hours and hours on my 7600k with no real problems ( except for the drivers which I updated and solved my issues)
    I also have to wonder if windows 7 is no longer supported then why do intel supply vid drivers and chipset drivers ready to download off of most motherboard manufactures for the Z270 boards ?
    Something is fishy here and and reaks of coruption ! :thumbdown
    Anyone know a workaround ? Even if I could bypass windows update MS will still flash the message ," Your cpu is not supported" even if only just browsing the web , JERKS !!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    OH Micro$oft

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    2016 cpu with a 2009 OS based of a 2006 OS and wants to bitch about Microsoft doing what they want their OS updates.
    Intel is not part of MS, so if they wan't they can provide drivers and updates.
    Just like AMD releasing Ryzen drivers for Win 7. They did not have too.
    There is not too strong arming to force to update to a newer OS. You are just being a whiney ass about it.

Hold on, let me cry about AMD not releasing any ReLive drivers for my old HD 6950 2GB I am giving to a friend.

5. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    well I paid for sercurity updates when I bought the OS so unless you got something constructive to add ..
    and you gave "a friend a old 6950 " wow some friend I would not even give that card to goodwill LMAF
    And for your information I was running a skylake cpu just fine . I could have went with a 6600K and MS would not have done nothing . The difference between skylake and kabby lake is min. AND x86 is still X86 their is no reason it will not work
    So your compairson with a old vid card vs my CPU is at best flawed MS is just loosing money on windows 10 and I refuse to be used to sell my info to 3rd partys for advertising . Windows 7 is still outdoing windows 10 by a longshot and that is a fact .

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    no go , I tryed that link and its just a old outdated link from MS . Thanks anyway though

7. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  8. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    Just set WU to "Never check for updates" and it will not show up.

9. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    Win XP was supported for 13 years on all hardware - but it was different Microsoft back then.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I feel you pain brothergc! I´m also running my Kaby Lake system on W7 without a single problem when this **** pops up... Now i have to consider alternatives to this situation, including moving to Linux.

11. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    I agree ! Their is no real reason for them to do this . Kabby lake is just a slighty tweeked skylake / And skylake is fully supported.
    I might understand if we were talking a new 7th gen AMD risen . but that is not the case . Microcrap is just trying to strong arm us into their spyware called windows 10 . If they would get rid of all that telemetry and addware , I would gladly pay to upgrade .
    I am seriously considering Linux mint down the road once it becomes clear that the security of windows 7 is too risky .

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I would also gladly pay for W10 if they disabled that and the forced updates, one of the worst jokes i´ve ever heard regarding an OS...

13. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    Just update your e-mail client and web browser and you should be fine. Or, if you're really interested in updates, just uninstall and install each month.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You paid for updates for a given life expectancy, not for eternal updates where you are still getting them in 2043. Their support for the OS's is actually better than pretty much any other successful company out there. I say successful because others have tried but long term support is just uneconomical. Support costs them money, yet you haven't paid any extra since 2009 or whenever you bought it. Of all the people complaining, the large majority of them probably only have recycled OEM licence versions, not the full Pro retail, so the fact that you installed and activated it on a completely different system is very generous of them. What's even more generous is them allowing you to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, it was your choice to reject this.

Now here's a FACT for you. You WILL have to change to Windows 10 series sooner or later, it would be completely unreasonable to be still running Windows 7 in 2021 and whingeing that they no longer support a 12 year old OS.

Ironically, many of those complaining of Windows 10 wouldn't hesitate to have the latest Android or iPhone, and yet they are far more delving into your privacy than Windows 10. You take it everywhere you go, you likely browse the same stuff on your phone (probably using free open networks when not at home). It comes with a camera and microphone to spy on you, unlike most desktops where a cam isn't common these days and a game headset you can simply unplug. It tracks your location and there is absolutely NO way over turning this off. Even if you manage to take the phone apart and destroy the GPS etc, there is still the fact that phones connect to towers and the records kept. You probably use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, post on forums (you can't deny that one), all that can be linked back to you. You probably use emails as well, and maybe even have stuff backed up on the cloud. You are on camera every time you walk down the street... I'll just leave it there. Sorry to say, only a true naive idiot would be worrying about Windows 10 privacy when in reality if that concerns you it is probably the thing to least worry about. The issue was raised by people who are stubborn to move from Windows 7, not on any credible fact. Like I said, they posted online so they obviously don't consider any other privacy factors in their life.

What personal stuff do you do on your computer that you are worried about privacy?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  15. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    Well yes, I have bought a full retail boxed W8 Pro version that is in mainstream support until 2018. And, guess what, as I own Skylake I migh start facing problems with support already this year.

Was.

No, my data would be harvested - so on top of paying for my W8 license (and I also bought W7 boxed) I'd be paying with my privacy - not the best of deals, I'd say.

Well, not really:
    a/ you can run an "unsupported" OS as long as 3rd part programs work with it. I had XP on one of my computers until December 2016 with updated Thunderbird, Firefox and Avast - no problems at all; I've seen an XP computer just a month ago at Copenhagen airport - these machines work and do critical tasks sometimes.
    b/ you can switch to Linux
    c/ there might be no Windows 10 in 2021, despite of what MS says now
    d/ least likely - Windows 10 might actually turn into something decent by then ;)

You do see a difference between mobile and desktop usage, don't you? I don't mind Google knowing I visit a park usually on Sundays, but wouldn't like them to have my documents (or parts of them) I store at my desktop.

That is none of your concern. I keep it private and will keep to do so.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sercurity updates should be released regardless especial when there OS security issue and not hw related

Side note I dont get why people are having **** fit about spying win10 doing? they are atlest upfront about. but there not up in arms over the fact every part of there life at this point is connected to internet which digitial which go threw satellites, WHICH ALL BEING FARMED and MONITORED but Governments whether they admit it it or not. CIA has means to do and is doing you's think other dont have means to do it too?

all you cell phone calles/text emails are tracked loged going threw proxys ip dont change that either . and if you got one smart phones they know exactly were you are. even if your phone is off, all part the wonders of computer chips

yet people are worried about what MS is doing... it ****ing hilarious. Privacy is gone, only thing left of it in all connected digital world is the illusion and i dont why people dont see this. people turn blind eye to this cause of convenience posting to FB/Twitter ettc from anywhere which also track and monitored.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  17. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    In my case with W10 privacy is the smallest of my concerns, really - it's just a crappy system I don't want to use.

18. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    no I do not and that is a fact , or have you not ever heard of Linux ? If Microcrap wants to continue this joke of a OS then they can kiss my rosey red A** !
    I could just run windows in a virtual machine and it can be done under linux !
    Your so full of it that ex lax would not even help LMAF

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If Microsoft brought in with Windows 7 what the are doing with Windows 10, the same people would be whining that they can't get the new releases (like Anniversary and Creators update) quick enough.

The very fact that they provided the option of Windows 10 for free for Windows 7 and 8.1 allowed them, if they wanted to, to completely stop support for those OS's right there and then. It wouldn't be breaking any 'obligations' that they may have in regards to servicing.

Windows 10 can be set up like you want it, if you think that's too much effort then no point trying to use Linux! It's not Microsoft being unreasonable here, it's the complainers, and complain all you want it's not going to change that reality. If Microsoft were any other company you would have stopped getting updates 6 months after Windows 8 was released, and for many companies even that is generous. You would have basically no chance of any other companies adding support for new hardware on an OS for which they are making no more money on.

Isn't it great how the same complainers come back threatening to run Linux, but never do? Microsoft probably wouldn't care about losing the customer since there is literally absolutely nothing lost by losing them, except for adding to a statistic about OS usage. Oh look, another privacy thing, websites and apps report what OS you're using, stop using software altogether! Get out that typewriter and start typing people! Just rememeber whatever you typed can be read off the ribbon :).

20. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    Yeah, right. Imagine you bought a Camaro ZL1 and after 3 years Chevrolet says - well, you won't get any parts anymore for the Camaro, but here's a Spark for you - have fun. And it's for free!
    You seem to have some serious problems reading software licenses...