It's Official!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticitizen013, Aug 2, 2006.

1. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Well, I just got back from my Military Enrolment Ceremony. It took place downtown Toronto at the recruiting office there (upstairs in the Auditorium). So much paper work (I had to write a will and some other stuff). I found the paper work to be more intimidating than some of the people :p

Ive wanted to join the military for well over half my life, which is much longer than I can remember. Its always appealed to me as something Ive wanted to do, but now Ive finally done it. I had gotten accepted a while ago, but the ceremony today confirmed it. Im in for a 3 year contract, and am currently on LWOP (Leave With Out Pay) untill the 18th, and I leave via plane to venture to Montreal on the 19th. Im extremely excited, I cant wait. Im so proud of myself :D

So I just wanted to let everyone know what your fellow Guru3D member is up to at this very important and special time of my life.

Oh... I joined as an Infantryman, for those of you about to ask :p

2. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Good luck!

/ I've been in the infrantry - and a good luck is something you'll need ;)

3. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Well, congratulations private :D Personally, not a choice I would make, but then I admire your steadfast conviction. If this is something you've been wanting to do, then I'm very happy you've gone with that decision.
    Stay who you are, don't become one of those aweful military veterans who apply army life to their home.

I wish you the best of luck in your new path of life, take care of yourself and be careful.
    All the best.

4. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Congratulations! More meat for the grinder eh? ;) All the best to you though.

5. anticitizen013

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. Also good advice, Omeguz, I shall heed that :)

A little bit more information; Ive joined the RCR (Royal Canadian Regiment), as the RCR is stationed in the East of Canada, whereas the PPCLI (Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry) are stationed in the West.

Thanks again, for your support, all soldiers need support from friends and family, even if it is over the internet :) (I know that much, at least ;)). Ill keep you all posted on my endeavours whenever I have access to a computer. Thanks again!

Although I still have a couple weeks until I go... heheh.

6. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    So, I'm going to be the first to be ignorant about the Canadian army...
    What are they involved with? The reason I ask is because e.g. the German army is currently involved in peace-keeping missions in The DRC (a.k.a. Congo) during their democratic elections.

Basically, my question is: What sort of work will you be doing?

7. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Crossed my mind too, is the Canadian army more of a defensive/rescue/helping-people-in-need army?
    Or am I misinformed (as usual ;))

8. Hey Drak, I see you got accepted. Congrats:) Now if you don't email me with some pics of you blowing sh!t up, I'll never help you out again!!! Happy for you buddy, it's always nice to reach your goals:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  9. anticitizen013

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Well Im sure you know what infantry is (aka the guy on the ground doing all the dirty work :p), but Canada specifically does a lot of Peacekeeping missions as well as aid work. We support the UK and US in most of their times of need (as far as I know, we didnt goto Iraq right away). Believe it or not, we also get called in for national issues... for example one time there was a huge snow storm (in Canada, no way! :p;)) and the military was called in to shovel snow for the civilians. Probably for the best I think, because its a workout and some people arent in good enough health to do such an act, and can seriously injure themselves.

I dont want this to turn into a war thread though, just so you all know :p

EDIT: Thanks Crap :D :D

Oh I have a few pictures from my ceremony, which I will upload in a moment.

ALSO EDIT: Actually one thing a lot of people are very misinformed about is our training. Our training is one of the best (Little known fact: Americans and British are proud to have us as allies, due to our training). As I stated before, we arent entirely defensive, we do attack missions as well, and they are becoming a bit more frequent, as we need to be more aggressive.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Heres some pictures, the lighting makes me look weird, although it might not be the lighting :p My sister was taking some of these ones, which is why some are kinda weird.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  10. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Peacekeeping, home defense. The Canadian Forces rarely go on offensive missions. Afghanistan being the exception.

Good luck Darkazar.

11. In other words, they get to blow the most stuff up....:bolt:

12. ZeroAndOne

ZeroAndOne Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS AGP 256mb @ stock
    Best wishes to you, Drakazar!
    Thank you in advance for your contribution in the military.
    Hopefully you will be sent to a more peaceful place than Afghanistan. I heard there are still many fightings between Canadian forces and Taliban.

Drop by the forum and tell us what happen with you.
    :)

13. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Good luck

The Canadian military sent troops to Louisiana to help after hurricane Katrina

14. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Drakazar, if you don't mind me asking: What does your family think?

EDIT: Oh, and the only lighting problem I can see is the flash reflecting off of your impeccably polished skull:) I mean that in an affectionate way.

15. anticitizen013

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    LOL thanks, it tends to reflect light very nicely (Ill never get lost, I could just shine my head and someone is bound to spot it).

They support me fully, which is great because it takes some of the stress off. They support me because they all know its exactly what Ive wanted to do for the longest time, and they are proud that I am doing what I love; representing and fighting for/defending Canada. Good question by the way :)

16. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Good luck and good timing since Canada is actually starting to put money back in to our forces instead of taking it out

17. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Congradulation and good luck with everything.

18. Emachine

Emachine Banned

GPU:
    Diablo tek Geforce 6600
    Canada has an army? Lol Jk good luck. Hope you dont get ur hurt.

19. Snooper

Snooper Master Guru

GPU:
    2xASUS EN7800GTX
    You have to dress up? When I took my oath it was in a room with about 40 other people going into all the different branches of service. Not to sure about Canada but here in the US the DI's don't like it to much when you don't have any hair for them to shave off. Bootcamp is one hell of an experience that I think eveyone should go through it will teach you alot about yourself. The people you meet there will be your best friends especially if your going into infantry those are your brothers and your family. Once you get past the tear down faze the rest is a breeze it's just the first several months where they try and make you think as a team and not an indevidual so when one person messes up everyone gets punished and it will happen over and over it's what there looking for. Just remember it only last for so many months and it's not forever even when it seems like the days just never end. Semper Fi

20. orgnlprankster7

orgnlprankster7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 512
    id love to join the military and kill those ****ers who planned 9/11 but chances are theyed send me to iraq and i dont beleve my country should be there it was a stupid moove by a stupid president