Intel also launches Desktop Refresh processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    What exactly is the point of having a version without an igpu, that costs exactly the same?

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Saves you time going into BIOS to disable it.

sverek, BlackZero, Darkest and 5 others like this.
  4. ezpzTP

ezpzTP Guest

GPU:
    970 GTX x2 / 4GB
    Is this the new stepping I've been hearing about?

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    nice of them to charge us for silicon that isnt even on the chip, huh?

7. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    what's more ridiculous is that they think people are willingly ready to upgrade their CPU several times every year. I always hated intel's bs called "tick-tock" model, which is more like a tick-tock-tock-tock-tock now.

Besides, they still have problems solving their hardware security vulnerabilities. What's the point of selling "refreshes" of broken chips, that are still broken?

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    That Probably has more to do with the new r0 stepping , than the sku.
    I'd wager you'll probably see newer 9900k's that are based off the same stepping.

if anything, these new chips are an attempt to salvage more broken sillicon, since they are production limited.

pretty piss poor value regardless, not that the igpu really helps all that much.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No igpu and 100mhz higher overclock, Intel - 100$ more over 9900k please. :D

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    While most people would gladly forfeit the igpu for a cheaper price i do not think they will for equal or greater price even as a graphics card being almost useless in gaming it comes in handy troubleshooting and quick synch is nice to have! So well if i am to buy an intel cpu ....no thank you i will pay less and keep the benefits even if there is a chance i would never use em!

sverek likes this.

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Exactly this.

And I think we need technology that utilizes iGPU when in desktop or browsing and fully puts GPU to sleep, no wasted energy.

EDIT: wait, you can't put dGPU to sleep if monitor connected to it...

Venix likes this.
  12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    well you can pass-through the signal threw the igpu if you want with out any hit on performance .... but when i had igpu i just had one monitor on each .... when the main screen went off ! ((rip my gtx 770 !)) my 2ndary monitor still was working fine so i was able to diagnose fast .

i am not sure if you can put the d.gpu to completely shut off though ... never tried like that .

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While you are right, the issue is that actually, CPUs without the iGPU should be cheaper. That they are not gives your argument strength, when in reality, it could be otherwise.

It's just because Intel doesn't fabricate CPUs without the iGPU in the first place, it's probably still on the chip and just laser cut, no? If they'd make (smaller!) chips without the iGPU they'd be cheaper and with higher yields... it's just Intel's plan to make things that do less cost more so Intel themselves have an easier life.

And honestly, I did not ever use an iGPU besides my Ryzen 2400G because it's the HTPC which does not need much GPU power at all. Other than that, I will gladly skip any CPU with an iGPU. But that's a thing of point of view, especially with Intel's twisted pricing due to their fabrication choices.

Venix likes this.