I'm Getting a Geforce 6600 Next week Yay. Should I expect great things from this card

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by khohne, Apr 6, 2005.

1. xK Ares

xK Ares Guest

ok ive disabled v sync in doom 3 and in nvidia control panel still locks at 60 :confused:

2. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    The Doom 3 engine is specifically capped at 60FPS by default, it has nothing to do with having vsync enabled.

3. Todorov

Todorov Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT Extreme Edition PCIEx (N0-0C)
    edit*

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  4. xK Ares

xK Ares Guest

5. Todorov

Todorov Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT Extreme Edition PCIEx (N0-0C)
    wrong quote :D

6. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    Thanks for your input guys you have made a good point, but the fact is i'm really satisfied with my upgrade. I wanted a Geforce 6600 mainly for its NV4x Architecture, so I could finally get away from the Geforce FX NV3x Architecture witch was'nt exactly Direct X 9.0 Friendly if you know what I mean.
    Enabling me to play Direct X 9.0c games alot better, I got my Geforce 6600 128 MB today but wont have time to put it in til about Sunday so i'm left wondering how it will perform over my 5900XT, well i should soon know.

Thanks for your input guys.

7. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

Cool man. Keep us posted.:)

8. thorbergdt

thorbergdt Guest

Is a Radeon 9700 PRO any competition to either of the mentioned cards here?

9. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

No, it's not any competition to the Geforce 6series cards, but it is/was a great card nonetheless.(IMO)

10. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Prolly (almost deffo tbh) slightly faster then the 6600, but not as fast as the 9800 Pro or XT which in turn is not quite as fast as a 6600GT.

Becuase of the various optimisations for NV3x series cards, and generally good if not great performance in all other areas (DX9 shader perfo is not everything that counts towards a cards performance) the 5900XT kept pace with the 9700 Pro in a lot of titles, some like Far Cry took a slight image quality trade off (which I think has changed in the latest patch), but in most cases the 59xx series was pretty damn solid.

I had the 5900SE (basically an XT) and it benched well in line with my mates 9700 Pro and stood up reasonably well to my 9800 Pro (2nd rig) in a few tests.

The 9700 Pro was and still is a stonking card, id take one over a 6600 given the choice, but not a 6600GT. Those clocks make a big difference on the GT version.