How long do you guys think ATI 5xxx series can still perform well?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gamer1291, Feb 1, 2012.

1. amieneel

amieneel Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    with 5770, i still can play most of the tytles in max(no aa, avg 35-45 fps). I am still happy ..

2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I play HR at ultra on eyefinity and have 0 issues. 60 Fps constant as latest drivers and CAP improved a lot crossfire performance in this game.

3. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    With 1 GB VRAM it sucks on 1080p+AA in some games. And this is just beginning!
    It's time to upgrade!

4. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    5xxx best bang for the buck. Their worst issue is lack of vram. Issue I run into with my setup, I have plenty of MHz, but I keep running out of vram.

Still able to run thing and really high settings (1920x1200) but find myself having to turn a few settings down to get smooth fps.

5. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I do not agree, my friend. The games I felt this issues were BF3 and Crysis 2, both in ULTRA settings; all the other games ran great even the latest ones. And let's face it: As far as graphics are concerned, BF3 and Crysis 2 are games as we don't see much on the market and I think they will continue to be rarities on the scene. I would be very surprised if this year came out more than two, maybe three, titles that really stress the hardware. I'll not upgrade my GPU because a couple of titles; for me, it's just not worthy.
    Plus, I don't notice any difference between 2XMSAA or 8XMSAA during gameplay action (notice only when I stop playing but then, it's time to leave the game, so...) AA is a non-issue to me.

Johnny

6. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

im not happy with my 5870 performance on bf3 i play at 1080p (multiplayer) with all at low to maintain 60fps !! my next upgrade is the 7970 when the prices drop a little

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Unless you're interested in high levels of AA/large texture mods there's hardly anything that pushes hardware past the hd 5850/gtx 460 level of performance at 1080p and below.

8. Hardware Killer

Hardware Killer Member Guru

GPU:
    7970 Lightning Quadfire
    Running 2 5970's in CFX here at 850/1200 triple screen, there is nothing the pair cannot smash

9. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    You should have gotten another 5870 a while back.

10. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I had a single 5850 up until 2 months ago everything for great, I was able to pick up another 5850 for $100 so I did and I dont think I will be upgrading my GPU any time soon. unless Nvidia come up with something special with kepler. Even then I wont be upgrading till the end of the year anyway.

11. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    I was just playing bf3 on my wifes computer i7 875k 5850 and it does a really good job. The res is only 1280x1024 :)

12. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    nope no need for new cards yet going to buy a new motherboard + 3930K my cards still kick ass...:)

13. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    with everyone running the 5850s-5870s-5970s what settings do you run in bf3 at 1080p? with the driver issues i have been having with my 6970s i just put my 5970 back in and it didn't feel real smooth with ultra settings no msaa and ssao on. all high 8xaf ssao on was real smooth.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  14. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    With latest drivers (12.3 RC Jan31), BF3 runs great here and I barely notice any FPS drops at ULTRA settings -- except for MSAA which I set to 2XMSAA.
    Smooth 50+ FPS gameplay. If I turn MSAA off, I get steady vSync 60 FPS.
    I believe 2x HD6970s performance is superior to the HD5970 even when OC'ed to 850/1200, or am I wrong?

Johnny

15. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Im seriously considering getting another HD5970 just for the $hits and giggles of having 4GPUs. I run Eyefinity too and yeah 1GB VRAM is an issue, but the way some people make it out IMO they dont seem to be technically savvy enough to get the most from their setups. especially those complaining at low resolutions like 1920x1080. :nerd:
    If I was a newb Id try 2x/4x/8x AA then conclude I cannot make do with 1GB VRAM, cos yeah, its like 1-8fps... :D

I was running Space Marine (max settings) at 6048x1200 just there.. memory usage? 800mb. I had SMAA for AA (tradtional AA doesnt seem to even work).
    Skyrim (with lots of HD mods) was similar, 60FPS at 6048x1200 with SMAA on Ultra, memory usage about 950MB.
    Hard Reset.. again nearly constant 60fps at Eyefinity res and still under 1GB framebuffer. SMAA on Ultra looks excellent.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

16. chest_rockwell

chest_rockwell Guest

GPU:
    cfire 5850 1gb
    hey everyone - nice thread.
    I unplugged my second gpu cuz 1 gpu is far more enough for 1080p gaming and Im positive that we wont need a new GPU until next-gen consoles arrive.. there are no original titles anymore. only engines copying engines. games (even bf3) looks not that much compared to 3 year old crysis warhead graphics yet still demands crazy gpu power and dont work well on ultra settings. honestly I think player models in bc2 looks far more better than bf3's. I'll probably skip 7xxx too as post few above says. Hope that they really does change something in power consumption or something else with 3d tech in future. But after seeing what idsoft did with rage, I doubt that Im gonna change this gpu at least in 2 years..

17. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    Hey guys sorry for very late reply.I am very happy to see people still use 5xxx series and are happy with its performance.

I am also a happy owner of 5850 1 gb and max out most of the games.

I guess i dont have to worry about upgrading for a few months atleast.

thinking about a proper upgrade from 5850 is killing me because nothing gives good performance for the price of atleast 6970 and above that i cannot afford.

18. Aminux

Aminux Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 5770 1GB
    Still use a 5770 and run every game i want with 0 problems.

19. Irocing

Irocing Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    For its time the 5770 cards were very good cards and brought DX11 to the party.

Have run two ref cards that overvolt and clock like crazy for about two years.
    Mine can run with a 5870 clocked card easily.

Time for retirement though as 7970 or kepler going in.
    Mine will handle anything out there still, But not at the higher settings.

If running higher Res's and multiple monitors would really lag behind though.
    Run a 1920x1200 26" Sammy and still not to shabby as to game play.

Already have them sold when get the new cards.
    Sorry to see them go.

Later:)

20. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    No real reason to spend the coin at this point. I'll reevaluate in 6 mos. or so.