How has this pandemic affected you?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by W@w@Y, Jun 13, 2020.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Besides the hassles of quarantine and cancelled travelled plans, how much has the pandemic affected you? Just sharing mine

- More time for family which is good (generally)
    - We catch up with our loved ones more now (via online) than before the pandemic (so generally its a good thing)
    - Working from home (and kids in online classes) means we get extra sleep time
    - Working from home also blurs the separation between work and life and sometimes work hours get extended
    - Working from home means sometime theres too much time also together with my wife, and that can spark more quarrels given the stress we are in
    -
    - 50% pay cut so we had to tighten our budgets (this years major PC upgrade, cycle will have to be postponed) + a lot more lifestyle changes
    - Overall, I feel the pandemic has taken away but also gave back some things. If only economic situation just gets better to calm job insecurity feelings

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Its made me realize that freedom, liberty, and speech is more important than ever.

Hypernaut, RzrTrek, kanej2007 and 3 others like this.
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Practical changes are temporary layoffs - all salaried employees have had their work time reduced by X percentage - and no visits to family members.
    Obviously also paying more attention to washing hands, keeping distance from others (even more than normally, lol) etc.

Apart from those for me not that much changed, I can't work remotely and life at home with 2 yr old daughter and wife is relatively normal.

Thankfully we have remained healthy.

In broader perspective must hope the situation normalizes within this year to get everything back on track.
    On a positive side, for example less traffic has meant less pollution.

All in all it seems the world has been running relatively well even with all these restrictions, given the circumstances.
    Goes to show perhaps after all this is over some things aren't always necessary.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    How the pandemic affected my life and what I found out:

• Realized that we live and stay healthy not only for ourselves, but for our beloved ones;
    • Had more time to introspective thinking and realized how stressful and unhealthy lifestyle I had last years;
    • One is more happy with what he/she has rather that what he/she is chasing after; but who ever has the time and patience to realize it?
    • My old job is lost and found a new one low end and no tech involved just physical labour - but I think as something positive because I've lost weight, got in shape and have better sleep and overall well-being;
    • Money is not everything in life;
    • More time spent on what matters most;
    • We forgot how to be offline and staying in home can be used for a LOT of things, but not everyone sees it that way;
    • This pandemic got the best and the worst from people, and hands that do things for others are holier than mouths that are praying;
    • Managed somehow to finish home renovations!
    • Called a lot of people, even distant persons, just to say Hi and offering help in any way, just to find out that remote connection can solve a lot of problems and old people are craving social interaction and communication and need support.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I have considered switching to a lower responsibility manual labour work more often than not. Less stress and better physical health via work alone sounds like a win - win.

But reduced pay, at least at first, is a problem. Perhaps when daughter is old enough to go to school and stay at home alone (so needn't daycare or babysitter).

anticupidon likes this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Luckily, for the time being pay was equal or even higher, because people willing to work were scarce.
    Even that the pay is less, think about gaining health and less stress. That is more valuable than money.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Makes one realize I don't have to be at the office as much as they make me.
    Staying healthy is simple, but you take care of it for the elderly, not for one self who is relatively young and healthy.
    People have lost touch with what hobbies one can have at home. They're crazy to leave their own homes the moment they get a chance to. Happy at the first chance to drop off their kids after "having to spend time" with them. Must be shitty places, shitty kids, shitty wives...
    If one really wants to follow the rules of safety and hygiene, they are generally foreign villages for many people. The rules are simply, but people don't seem to grasp the principles behind it, often leaving out half of what they're supposed to do.

386SX and sverek like this.
  8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i always say, if you aren't happy at home, you're in the wrong home. I never argue with my fiancée, been together a few years, yeah our child gets stressful but I believe aggression to the child isn't right, as the child simply doesn't know better yet.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    1: The value of time.
    2: The success of perseverance.
    3: The pleasure of working.
    4: The dignity of simplicity.
    5: The worth of character.
    6: The power of kindness.
    7: The influence of example.
    8: The obligation of duty.
    9: The wisdom of economy.
    10: The virtue of patience.
    11: The improvement of talent.
    12: The joy of inventiveness.

HellSpawn2097 and anticupidon like this.
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I've learned that I have to adapt faster to a new life style. Working from home is much easier, since there no commute and I can spend more time with my family.
    It took me a while before I started to do regular running/sport to keep myself in shape and overcome other issues of lockdown.

Have to be an opportunist and utilize the benefits while overcoming the shortcomings of the lockdown.

What's the difference between freedom and liberty?

fantaskarsef and anticupidon like this.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This.
    Someone called and offered me a job, but as I said way out of my league and what I used to work,but I said yes.
    Glad I did, a LOT of people I know are unemployed and lost their income. I count myself lucky.
    And also, a lot of people have issues with electronics and have computers tablets and smartphones who broke down and need someone to fix all that. Here I am offering my services. Some good money came my way because of this.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Great for me tbh I have been off work on furlough with full pay since March 17th I think. And looks like we are not going back til at least August. Had tons of time to do house work, spend time with the Mrs and also game a lot more than usual too.

Its sad to see how its negatively effected others though, my Mrs is a frontline NHS worker as a mental health nurse and has seen first hand the crap this thing can cause.

13. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    To be honest my life hasn't changed much at all, I'm a loner and have my dogs to take care of. I've had 3 back surgerys, 1 small stroke & cancer so I don't need much I'm happy with my animals.

Solfaur, toyo and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I haven't gotten to go to the gym in 3 months and there's no end in sight.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I hate humans more than before.

Solfaur, toyo, sverek and 2 others like this.

16. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Other than a rather bizarre work schedule, I really haven't been negatively impacted all that much. And, to be clear, I don't really view my current "mostly residing at the workplace" arrangement as being a big problem. I'm happy to have a job, and I'm pleased my employer still has sufficient work to provide me with one. I'm aware of too many people who have lost a job and/or a business. It's truly heartbreaking.

This is mostly a rural area, so I don't think the quarantine and social-distancing dynamic ever really gained much traction; the people here aren't exactly living side-by-side to begin with. What passes for a "supermarket" requires a mask, mostly as a "feel good" measure more than anything else. However, this is the kind of locale that, if you walk into a "Mom & Pop" store wearing a mask, you'll likely see the muzzle of a Mossberg 500 in short order. There are rumors of a tavern or two being "kind-of" open. But, that can't be true of course, because our Governor insist's that's not allowed. I wonder how the Governor is coping these days?

People here are aware of their neighbors, and I haven't heard any accounts of C19-related sickness among the local population. The residents *are* showing the proper regard to the safety of the elderly, which I think was probably 80% of all that was ever necessary to begin with.

I generally keep my hair long, but it hasn't been *this* long in years. I know of people who would cut it for me, probably violating 43 State directives, but I've just haven't found the time. Gasoline prices are low, and the liquor stores are open, so, "I'll take the good with the bad", as the saying goes. I've pretty much have had everything on the menu of the local diner in the form of take-out. It's been good, and they desperately need the business. They're on the very edge.

The regional newspaper is about half as many pages as it normally would be, and it wasn't exactly the Sunday-edition of the N.Y. Times to begin with. The "Sports" section is especially sparse. I wonder why?

17. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Couldn't agree more.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ditto if this proves anything to it proves how stupid people can be, cause they seem to got stupider during this. on personal side thing not much, cause I didnt go out much to begin with only when I "needed" too which was rare it same old same old to me .

Had made more aggravated with my parents cause they seem to be find any accuse they can to justify going out.

Every time I hear him say I want to go beach my blood boils going to beach(which are open) is last place one should be going during pandemic beaches that are windy and people all bunched to gather yeah nothing good idea there is no mask mandatory and they as such they arnt wearing them and it pack... I dont get people one bit or the people make these laws. pandemic has got worse not better there are more infected now then there was when this stuff was close.

There is no bottom to how stupid people can get

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Mom and dad has mostly kept isolated due to being elderly and thus a risk group, pushing me and my sister to do a whole lot of stuff for them but eh it's not too bad and we still see each other even if we keep a bit of a distance just in case.
    Dog owner so plenty of meetings with other people and occasionally other dogs but so far things have gone pretty well although Sweden hasn't been too strict either on this Corona situation thus far.

Week or two ago though things were reported to be calming down and these precautions and minimum distance recommendations were entirely forgotten while at the same time a new wave of infections spread now also hitting outside of the larger cities so my guess is that it's been tough but it's about to get bad and it might get really bad as people crowd together and ignore hygiene health recommendations about stuff like coughing or using hand disinfectant plus restaurants starting up in full service mode again and all that.

Don't have any immediate family members that have had Corona although one of them works in a lab doing sample tests which has grown a lot over the months as more and more people get tested even for showing smaller cold or allergy symptoms or just as a precaution to make sure it's nothing else which is also why there's a report about it increasing again with more confirmed samples having tested positive and the hospital is now back to new Corona positive patients arriving daily of which nine out of the current total of 36 are in more serious state with a current growth of five new patients daily.
    (Not the largest city and these smaller surrounding areas but that's the highest growth so far and the previous total last wave was 24 infected and that was over a longer period of time.)

More worried about people ignoring the safety recommendations or having a "Eff you." attitude, that one hit already as a nurse I think it was was Corona positive but worked anyway for a retirement home and an entire what's it called well an entire section got quarantined with multiple elderly testing positive making the news for a while in local papers and showing some of the indifference to both Corona itself and to other people even those at greater risk of serious health problems from catching it.

Same when you meet people outside or in the store or such and instead of a line with around 1 - 2 meters they're all crowded together, try best as you can it won't help much if others ignore the guidelines for how to at least minimize infection and spread and contact with others keeping to a more minimal at least until it really starts slowing down and possibly going away whenever that will be.

EDIT: Economical and other social issues I expect will be long term and will take time to recover, not sure how the plans for this looks but it's likely going to be slow and also costly to cover for some of these things.
    Possibly higher taxes but that's just speculative for now, pricing on some goods might increase as well but it remains to be seen how this changes especially if this Corona pandemic persists into next year or more.
    (Or changes or any number of possible scenarios, too early to say how this will develop.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my parents are elderly. one in there early 70's other is in late 60's and one them laundry list of issue and meds they are one,