Help choosing a netbook

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kershner25, Apr 17, 2009.

1. kershner25

kershner25 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB
    So, I'm looking into buying a netbook...what can you guys reccomend? DISCUSS!

P.S....color would be a nice option (preferably looking for yellow).

Also, looking to keep the price right around $300.

Let me know your thoughts!

2. Kollunz

Kollunz Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 5870
    I've never a yellow netbook before, would any other color be alright?

3. kershner25

kershner25 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB
    Yeah it seems like yellow is pretty rare in computer technology heh.

I think the classic white would be pretty nice...any suggestions?

4. memorex11218

memorex11218 Guest

I own an Acer Aspire One (8GB SSD version). Overall I'm quite pleased with it. I originally got it with Linpus Linux on it and with only 512mb of RAM. Formatted it, fixed mbr, added more RAM (you can get one nowadays with the max already installed) and put a custom version of Windows XP on it (eeexp). The damn thing now runs pretty nicely, even runs Diablo 2, Warcraft3 and quake 3. Cost me $300.

As for yellow: just get one of those laptop skins or a good can of acrylic gloss spray paint.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009

5. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    TBH netbooks are really meh right now. An iPhone, G1, N0kia etc can do the same functions. I won't even consider buying one until they are all packing dual core atoms paired with a Nvidia 9400M. Just my 2 cents on the netbook situation right now. I mean even my iPhone can handle 3d graphics, c'mon!

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i got an MSI wind u100 with XP. love it.
    plays games too. i also modded mine with a touchscreen. everything works pretty quick considering.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    biggerx: well... i believe the Intel Atom is a hyperthreading CPU. Haven't actually checked the task manager or anything lately on my EeePC 1002HA. Not technically dual-core.... but more than likely doesn't run as hot as one either. It's a nice thing when you can't even hear the sound of the cooling fan over the sound of the very, VERY quiet hard drive. Even nicer when you toss a little SSD into it and make it dead silent unless you put your ear to the back.

8. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    A dual core Atom/9400m combo will be silent as well.

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    i kinda doubt that. Dual core maybe.... dedicated GPU, seriously unlikely.... even it if IS a low-end GPU.

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    some netbooks do have removable grahics cards with like a nvidia 9600 m mobile or something like that. there are you tube vids showing running raceing games and stuff at good fps.
    mine plays casual games, emulators and adventure games really well. all i need really cause i mostly use it for internetz and music. use my main rig for serious gaming.

connect a logitech z5 to my MSI and dam it sounds good. great powered laptop speakers btw.

11. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    My friend just got an ASUS Eee PC for her stepson. The only ones I'd really consider would be the ASUS and the Acer ones, they seem to be the best of the bunch. Just get it with max RAM and a big enough hard drive and a fast-ish processor and you'll be alright.

12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yeah.... IIRC, from what i've heard the MSI Wind's are a pain to upgrade the memory and such... having to pop the keyboard out.

xrc6: i think the ones you're talking about are the Asus N10's (think i have the right model)