HD 5850 Bios flash , fan speeds , Vmem .... ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by enoy21, Sep 6, 2011.

1. enoy21

enoy21 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    Hey guys , Ok a few things here.

I was running the HD 5850 with a stable OC in Furmark, ATI Tray tools benchmark and Heaven at 900/1150 @ 1.15v through Afterburner. 1150 has been my max Mem OC until today but I haven't found my Max OC on my GPU yet.

BFBC2 and punkbuster have an issue with any of the main OC tools for voltage control so I went in search of an alternative.

I've since Flashed my BIOS to a 5870 with RBE to 850/1200 @ 1.125v and so far in Furmark it looks stable after 20 minutes if I ramp up the fan speed manually in ATI Tray Tool.

In RBE I am able to modify the fan speed profile of the bios with a ramp similar to that of Afterburner/Riva-tuner/Trixx etc... but it seems that the ATI windows driver is overriding this and forcing it's own profile. When running Furmark , without manually setting the fan to a higher rate it seems to top out and hover at around 90c .

Looking at the RBE forums over at Poweruptech I don't see where they have resolved this as of a few months ago.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any others tools that will control fan temps for 3D apps or let me adjust the ramp without interfering with punkbuster.

Or would it be better to just create a profile in ATT with a manual fan speed to launch when the game launches ? ( I was hoping to remove ATT and go back to CCC and see how it does )

Also , Furmark doesn't stress Memory much at all ; Does a 5870 push more voltage to the memory or am I a VPU recovery waiting to happen ?

I preferably want my GPU to max out around 80c for long term usage.

I feel like I'm 80% there to make my OC's work with Punkbuster but the temps are my last issue ( I hope ).

2. enoy21

enoy21 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    Quick update:

I just played about 45 minutes of BFBC2 looking for artifacts and testing stability at at 850/1200 it not only did fine but the game "felt" smoother while I was looking for artifacts.

I've always gotten about 50-70 FPS and that didn't go up too drastically , but I felt like I had less screen tearing and an overall smoother refresh.

Temps only got up to about 75c in the game , so the fan speeds may not be quite as big of a concern at this time.

After a few more days and several more hours of gaming , I want to see what this card will do with the new Bios clocks.