GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Amd fanboys rejoice :d

2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    What a turd, only a fool would get one of these instead of a 6990.

3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Nvidia you idiots..

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    12 on the first two pages alone

getting back to the PRO'S blowing there stuff up.
    whats funny is alot of these reviewers dont even have stock volt over clocks they just went right to voltage lol.

for any of them that did that i say they did NOOB MOVES!

this geeky sounding guy has no issues over clocking he must have got a bullet proof one.:wanker:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRhne0odjJA

not that i am downplaying this its way different then the 570 dying.
    That thread started by someone who had the card hard modded and caps added...was not the right poster boy you know?
    others were getting rid of ocp even one in this thread rest jumped on bandwagon or just lied.

5. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I guess it shows that we now assume or take for granted that we can just overvolt and overclock our cards as being a given......, whereas it just used to be the domain of the hardcare enthusiast/modder (insert GEEK) now everyone expects to be able to do it.
    Therefore a card which blows up after being overvolted is branded a fail.
    How times have changed.

Wonder if nvidia will revise its power design soon then ? Bet the board partners are already looking at custom pcb's with more phases.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    linus is cheezy at times, but fun to watch. i see he didnt have an issue with his card either

7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    on second tought nvidia doesnt just release products without testing them,every manufacturer be they GPU ,car , hairdryer,crayons..etc tests their products thoroughly.

They would not risk releasing a product that is a fail from the start, because they will loose ALOT of money doing so.

That is either done on purpouse to make the card look bad or i dont know...i dont think its nvidias fault.

8. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Sorry brother gotta pull you up there, i hardly consider 1.25v an excessive amount. Primarily when we are talking about the current state of GPUs.Hell
    i remember when i had Everest open and Msiafterburner open at the same time and wondered why i hit 96c on my 5870 idle thats because it was at 1.6v, we need to face the facts here nvidas has dropped the ball on this one, weather it be a VRM issue or not there is something seriousy wrong...

Bottom line it should have handled that amount of voltage.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I for one think it's stupid for anybody to want to OC a card like this. I don't even have to OC my GTX 580, and I can max out any game I've thrown at it with Vsync at 1080p resolution (1920x1080). IMO if someone wants to risk over-volting on a card like this they should be prepared for the worst.

Stop blaming Nvidia, the only ones responsible is the owner. Nvidia NEVER said it was safe to overvolt these cards to the levels being shown. On that note, I'm not backing AMD or Nvidia, this is just common sense. Before the fanboy comments start, I own and like both companies cards.

The fanboyism in these forums is alarming, as well as the lack of common sense these days.

If you over volt, it's your responsibility not Nvidia or AMD's.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I agree but to a certain extent we should have some tolerance or headroom to clock.
    I think nv should just do away with the franken cards altogether..if only amd would so would nv.
    i hope they dont bother with custom pcbs and just lokk forward to going 28m.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I agree with the part you mention about everyone thinks they can overvolt. It's never a good idea to do this without being prepapred for the worst, on ANY board.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    No guy your wrong 1.25v is alot on the nv 4xx-5xx cards.
    .93v -1.25v is over 25% added volage.
    the amd cards your right about they have higher voltage out of the box.]
    I can not argue that nv has messed up to not test these things first and have better safe guards in place....i am not sheding any tears for the reviewers or nv.

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    It would if I could get Xfire working properly. Having serious issues with it. Tempted to get either a pair/trio of 6970s or 570s/580s, but given this info, leaning far more towards the 6970s.

14. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    i dont get how anyone can think this is nv's fault. ocing and overvolting are inherently risky. ocing not as much since if you notice high temps or artifacts you can always back down or turn up the fan speed. overvolting is far more risky for obvious reasons, something goes pop and thats it. should they have designed a better VRM? maybe. however its not nv's fault if people decide to tweak their already enormously fast cards beyond what they were designed for and ruin them.

i do feel bad for people who handed over tons of their hard earned cash only to brick their cards....for a slightly better benchmark score or 5 more FPS.

15. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Sorry, i stand corrected.

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    np^ i coulds see what you meant thuo.

Well i think we have zero people who paid ther hard earned cash kill the cards and if anything it will make users aware of this.
    Its just so common place now to oc and overvolt your cards,that some got complacent with the inherent risks involved.

17. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Yep, i totally agree, mind u after getting the corsair obsidian 800D and lack of fans atm have seen temps (lol the steel coffin) 92c have made me a bit wary. I once got these cards to overclock 973/1450 (1.250v) and managed to pass 3dmark11 once, i think that was on 100% fan speed ( i do recall yelling and children crying, also somewhere a dog barked) :p

other than that everything past 950/1450 crashes at some point ...sigh

I do hope other manufacturers non reference designs solve the 590 issue.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    o yes it is, it can happen even with only +0.025v and that's nothing, or a lousy 60-70mhz increase with stock voltage lol

+ cheap vrm parts and it is what it is, one bs gpu.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No, but if Nvidia and board partners like Asus are saying "Hey, want to squeeze out more performance? Try overclocking and overvolting!", then it should probably do it decently. I mean hell, AMD wouldn't say you can easily OC a BE cpu if it didn't come with an unlocked multi and flexible with the vcore.

20. GandraZz

GandraZz Guest

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    So if video card arent designed to be overclocked/overvolted so why nv didn't remove those abilities?