Gray screen crashes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Copyright78, Nov 27, 2009.

1. irfy

irfy New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5870
    I hope they, they must have got tons of emails regarding this issue by now so they can't just keep ignoring it.

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Had my PC turned on for not even a minute just now, started browsing and bam, grey screen.

I thought I'd cured it after disabling the ATi HD sound in device manager but obviously not. Please fix it ATi.

3. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Yeah, GF went downstairs for a few came back up and PC had restarted, so I'm guessing it gotten a grey screen.

4. |Ano|

|Ano| Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX560Ti Twin FrozR II
    I used to get that grey screen 2-3 times every week, but not anymore.
    I have 9.11 and it's now several weeks since i got it. (Driver 8.671-091104a)

So i think it is/was a driver issue.

5. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Got this the other day playing CoD:WaW. The game began to get a little slow and then out of no where it gray screened on me. :(

Almost thought it was a memory (RAM) issue.

6. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I started getting these since yesterday. Hasn't happened before that. I just tried uninstalling the HDMI audio driver, so let's see if that fixed it...

Nothing is overclocked here, despite my signature. Waiting for the Corsair TX650W I ordered before overclocking stuff again...

7. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    All those grey/colored stripped screens are memory related (system RAM or GPU RAM). But I think it's caused by the drivers. Before the grey screen crash I have a dark flash/artifact.

Memory @ 1290mhz -> flash -> alt-tab -> changing 1290mhz to 1300mhz -> alt-tab back in game -> no problem until next reboot.

Memory @ 1290mhz -> flash -> alt-tab -> changing 1290mhz to 1295mhz -> alt-tab back in game -> alt-tab -> changing 1295mhz to 1290mhz -> alt-tab back in game -> no problem until next reboot.

If it was just a hardware issue, at the same clock it'll crash. But it's not the case. Hope it'll be fixed.

@1300mhz I have no crash at all in any case, but I have some @1290mhz. (no performance drop between the two so it's not unstable :) )

8. Yeah, was just doing a world tour in Dirt2, last race out of five. .."Grey Screen"

This is the first game it has happened on and I've owned the card since launch.

Very annoying problem, to say the least.

9. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    My ones arent bad though. It has never happened in game! Only in windows. But i dont game much as you guys do.

10. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Happened to me only twice, but it started happening since I reformated. Which leads me to believe that it was perhaps because of the HDMI audio driver, which I've uninstalled now. I haven't turned the computer off since, though, and some people say they experience it once a day and then not till after they turn off their computer again.

So, if I get none at all tomorrow, I'll assume it worked for me :)

11. Chris Chiu

Chris Chiu Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Good to see I am not alone suffering by this problem. I thought it's my 5970 hardware problem. It seems whole 5xxx serial got this problem. Then, I can tell this is a driver problem or a very serious chip hardware bug. Pray for the fix and wish CAT9.12 is the cure.

new add :
    Hmmm, I heard nvidia card also got this problem too in Win7 and Vista. Maybe It's a Win7 and Vista problem.

So, everyone got this problem are using Win7 x64 or Vista x64 ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  12. irfy

irfy New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5870
    Well yea I am running Win7 x64, but my issue has seem to be have gone. A friend of mine told me to slightly change the volts of the card and it seemed to have the done trick, no gray screens in a while but still not convinced until a proper fix from some either ATi or a Windows update.

13. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    i just installed my 5850(yay!) and no problems here
    i use winxp btw :)

14. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    It does seem like a driver/voltage thing. I just hope it's fixed in the 9.12 cat for my girl's sake :O

15. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Edit: Anyone with 5770 increased their voltage and problem solved? If so, by how much.

Ooops, did a double post by mistake.

16. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    I had grey screens all the time when i first got the card and was using gpu clock tool and msi afterburner because my card is a sapphire model, since then Ive flashed to the asus unlocked bios and use smartdoctor for voltage tweaking. My volts are 1.287v on the core and Im getting 1010mhz out of it and NO GREY SCREEN, havent had it for weeks now and I game every night.
    I guess it was a voltage problem for me, maybe 9.12 will fix it for most.

17. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    I haven't had any issues with either of my pre-release 5770's so far. Maybe its just a certain batch that was bad?

18. Dethangel

Dethangel Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA GTX 480 1.5GB
  19. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Im Happy that AMD got back to me!!!

Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

What power supply do you have in your system? If applicable, are you connected to the video card with native matching connections from the power supply or are adapters used?

Are there any updates available from your motherboard manufacturer for your Motherboard BIOS or chipset drivers?

In the Windows Device Manager is anything listed with an X ? or ! beside it? What do you list in the Displays Adapters and Sound Video and Game Controllers section of the Device Manager?

Is this a recent development with the system? Have you ever been able to use the system without this issue? If so what hardware/software changes have happened in the system from when it worked properly to when it started having problems?

Was the video card preinstalled in the system or purchased separately and added to the system?

If you have upgraded the video card have any other components been upgraded or added in the system since it was purchased?

To assist you please send us the following reports from your system.

Please create all the reports and attach them to this ticket.

1. Dxdiag report.
    Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
    Click Start, select Run.
    In the Run dialog box, type: dxdiag
    Click on “Save All Information..” tab
    save the Dxdiag file with your ticket number.

2. Belarc advisor system report.
    Please download and run the Belarc advisor system report also
    http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe

Once the application gives you a report;
    go to the top right corner, click on file,
    click on save as
    change the save as type to: web page, HTML Only (*.htm, *.html)
    - change the file name to your name and ticket number.

3. MSINFO32 Report

MSINFO32 reports detail the hardware and software configuration of machines running Windows - these reports allow our technical support department to review your machine for hardware and software conflicts to recommend solutions to crashes and other issues.

Please observe the following instructions to run and save an MSINFO32 report if requested by Steam Support:

Go to the Start button
    Select Run...
    Type msinfo32 and click OK
    While viewing the System Summary node go to File then Save
    Save your MSINFO32 report as your SR number.nfo (i.e. 8200XXXXXX.nfo) on your desktop for easy access (you may delete the file once you have attached it to support case and submitted the case)
    If there is a lot of information stored in the error logs of the MSINFO32 report, this can cause the reports to be very large in size (10+ mb). If your MSINFO32 file is particularly large, please follow these instructions to clear the error log:

Click the Windows Start button
    Select Run (or hit 'Windows Key + R')
    Type compmgmt.msc and hit Enter
    The ‘Computer Management’ window will now prompt you.

Directly underneath the 'Computer Management' icon, you should see the category called 'System Tools'.

Click the + box, next to 'System Tools' to expand the folder tree
    Select the Event Viewer category (for Windows Vista users, then expand Windows Logs)
    Highlight Application
    Right click and select Clear all Events (Clear Log... in Windows Vista)
    When asked to Save Application Data, click No to clear the error log and save a new instance of the report.

Please create and send in, all the reports to investigate the issue(s).

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

20. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    wow thats a list! Im glad to see they are wanting this one fixed quick, go amd/ati.

get working randomizer lol