Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

I'm loving it personally, the versus is particularly good.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    @Darren Hodgson and @vbetts are.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm not enjoying the casual games, but the ranked games are pretty good and diverse. Campaign and Horde are both fun as well. And it runs pretty well too.

4. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    I confim , besides my little problem on previous page (new device and pagination error on this device during the game) , the game is very good !!!
    I really enjoy it , both campain and multiplayer are fun ;)

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wrapped the campaign up earlier today to clear that part of the game first, enjoyed the first and last chapters but the second and third got a bit boring using this skiff to traverse a model of smaller open world and various POI's and hidden smaller encounter areas and collectibles though if players so choose there's nothing hindering just going for the main objective and mostly skipping the rest other than the yellow thingies conveniently spread everywhere and just enough to upgrade Bot-Boy the Gimmicky to full capacity for base attributes and various attachments which sometimes also serve as minor environmental puzzle solving. :D

It's Gears of War so you sit behind cover and sometimes storm over to the enemy side dealing a variety of not-Locusts and these other robots again though with some tuning and the story focuses more on Kait other than Pretty Boy which after a makeover I apparently lost the plot hook and only figured out the "Aha." near the very end after a plot thing and obvious sequel hook happened.

(End game somewhat of a spoiler.)
    A bit of a forced choice which since I thought Other Dude was some random nobody I just picked him and then "Aha." Oh well it probably only changes a little bit anyway and who knows what the sequel will run with when that drops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bone structure WTH?
    (Probably should have seen the call-out on the armor there come to think of it...)

Manly beards of gaming and how they really transform a character eh, at least it's not Dad of Game as all the other Big Boys in video games over the last few years have tried to make as some sort of trend.

#AnotherBeardedVideoGameDadFigure
    (Though they have those too! ~ )

EDIT: Heh even the ridiculous nipple plate cutout things on the armor differ. :D
    (What are these anyway or why are these anyway, questions!)

(Still not the worst armor design in video gaming history thanks to Japan but also Western media so not Japan only though they've certainly contributed.)

EDIT: Though part of it comes from me having him as = Fenix and the game has him as = J.D as some abbreviation for something.
    (Justice dad! Or not since that's Marcus but eh. :p )

EDIT:
    Wait... well the stories in video games often are what they are but that might still be spoiler territory so tag it all!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Started this this morning.
    Signed up for Xbox Game Pass a few days ago, it was on special... 2 months for 2 dollars.

Figured I could play Gears 5 and Metro Exodus with it.
    So far, Gears 5 is gorgeous, and runs great.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i cannot call a game gorgeous anymore until i get my hands on rtx gaming, ray tracing is just too good and should be had by every person, control looks amazing with ray tracing, and looks ordinary without it

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Sorry, not trying to be rude... but I honestly rolled my eyes to that comment.

RTX at this point feels more like a gimmick. The visual/performance trade off is laughable. The cards are horribly overpriced.
    And, how well it's used is up to the studio... not just because it's RTX. And even then, when used wonderfully... it doesn't mean it will instantly make everything better.

I have seen nothing, absolutely nothing from RTX that makes is look like a must have, can't live without feature.
    And a game can look stunning, gorgeous and absolutely amazing... without it.

9. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Metro with and without is night and day. Metro without RTX looks arguably worse

10. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Nonsense, night and day is a huge exaggeration. The only thing "night and day" is the performance difference. I literally was just playing with RTX on and then off.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    From the videos I saw, there's a difference in Metro.. but "night and day" is a pretty big over-statement.
    Also, I think with RTX... it looks worse.
    I know, I know... that's not the popular opinion. But, pfft. Don't care.

This just reminds me of years back, when PhysX were the "NEXT BIG THIGN!!!!" and people were buying physics cards for their PCs. Talking how every game in the future would have to have one.
    I'm not saying this is exactly the same, but... the way some people are talking up RTX... it definitely reminds me of it.
    In Metro, with it on.. the game looks washed out. In Control, yes some areas look really nice... but others... just look overly shiny because people associate "shiny = good"...

Personally, both games look great with it off. And in some ways, better. And in the end, until there's a GPU at a decent, realistic price, that can support RTX at solid, decent frame rates... there's no point in bothering.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have mentioned nothing but praise for the performance of the game, you also have to remember that X1X is a lot more powerful than the base model console in terms of graphics performance. They targeted 60fps and you can clearly see that they have scaled back on the small details in order to keep CPU load low and GPU load high.

Also the destruction you talk about in Gears 5 is also scripted destruction, whereas in Gears 2 objects within the world have break points which changes the environment as you shoot it. Gears 5 has nothing but static objects that have zero destruction. Other than some falling ice and some locust pods I have yet to really see much in the way of destruction.

It's these little details that makes a game great. Like in the Metro games, sure overall the games look stunning but its the little things like being able to wipe dirt, water, blood, etc off your gas mask. Little things like that that make a game more realistic and believable.

I agree for a console game it looks great, is it up there with God of War, TLOU2, etc not even in the same league im afraid.

13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I am pretty sure that TLOU2 will be the best looking game of its generation on any platform IMO, and that whiteout RTX. Gears looks really good no doubt, and RTX is not everything lol. GFX makes a difference and helps with immersion, but the gameplay element should be the most important thing in a game.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    So, just made it to Act 2 Chapter 2.
    The skiff.

But, run into an issue. I remap my controls, I use EDSF for movement. Always have. I've never played a game with WSAD.
    Gears 5 remaps seemed perfectly fine, until the skiff.
    The on screen prompt says to press E to move forward, as it should... but pressing E does nothing. All other movement controls for the skiff work great, but the skiff seems hard coded to only move forward with the W button.
    Which I've remapped to the tac-com.

So, for the time being... seems the skiff controls are slightly borked.

15. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Well maybe its just me then, But metro without RTX is a lesser experience.

The core gameplay is the same but for a game with such atmosphere,
    The lighting is a huge part of it, Being in buildings as the sun starts to go down and you rapidly lose light so you can barely see you hand infront of your face.
    The room lit by flashlight and muzzle flash with rtx on is incredible.

I think a lot of the ps4 exclusives look great because they have the same hardware to work with for so long and that it only targets 30fps ish.
    God of war and Spiderman are stunning games, because they only target 30fps. It lets the devs squeeze every ounce of detail out because most of the time people dont care if a console game drops below 30 regularly.

half the people here complain about RTX because they want 60-120fps+. If pc games just targeted a solid 30 fps like a console they would look mind blowing. We'd have every single option ramped up and raytraying on everything.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Carfax likes this.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Dude, did you honestly play the game? If you think that falling icicles and locust pods are the only destructible objects then I don't know what to tell you. What about the destructible frozen lakes? And the various destructible covers? Also there was destructible glass as well. That's just off the top of my head. There was also large scale destruction via the geometry cache system which although scripted, does a very impressive job and is done in real time.

Like I told you earlier, you're making a mistake if you're comparing Gears 5 to the Metro series. The former targets 60 FPS on the X1X, and the latter targets 30 FPS. Gears 5 has more in common with the Doom series than the Metro series.

Did God of War target 60 FPS?

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I have to agree. I actually stopped playing Metro Exodus and I never finished it as I decided to wait until I got a 3080 Ti or whatever NVidia will come up with next and a 4K HDR monitor so I can play the game the way it was meant to be played.

People have a right to their own opinions, but ray traced global illumination is the real deal. It IS a night and day difference in Metro Exodus with RTX turned on.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    why are we talking about metro and rtx in this thread XD

Undying likes this.
  19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Because some believe that Gears 5 can't look great simply because it doesn't have RTX. Just.... meh.

Undying, XP-200 and warlord like this.
  20. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

What? No one said that. Gears is stunning. The lighting is brilliant, the larger environments are a great change and the hdr is some of the best I've ever seen. The game is smooth as butter

You were the one who " rolled eyes " at a comment because apparently you were so troubled by someone elses opinion of rtx.