Fix the clock on Sapphire RX580

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by passenger, Jul 4, 2020.

1. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    @Astyanax i know that you have knowledge but this is my test and i had the same problem.

I search in google about the problem i had with mx-4 in the gpu die and i found that is the pump out effect.
    Same card same problem so i have nothing more to discuss. All are crap until you see them with your eyes.

Maybe the pump out effect is a myth and simple that card have a big gap between chip and heat sink and need a not so watery thermal paste.
    But in that card mx-4 cant work.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I've used ICD7 for GPU's in the past and worked very well.

3. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    With Artic MX-4 temperature goes up to 85c, but it doesn't throttle as much ~20-30MHz, and after some time black screen and card shuts it self down, so I don't use it anymore. I have tested Noctua NT-H, Coolermaster, Halnziye all of them runs card up to 72-73c but throttling is bad -100MHz, didn't try IC Diamond yet.

Does anyone knows which thermal pads will be sufficient 0.5mm or 1mm ones, which one will be right for Sapphire RX580??

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Skip pads. They can only worse matter. Stick to noctua paste or whatever gives u lowest temperature. Give your card additional airflow, insert some additional 120 or 140 mm fan. If u have full metal side of PC case, grab some tools and make holes for it.

Or change card.

But adding additional fan in front of your card can shave 5-10 degrees in stress. So...

5. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    Set fan speed at 100% in Radeon software and monitor temperature with Radeon metrics overlay or afterburner. See what is the max rpm of the fan. I had max rpm 2200rpm, changed it at 2800 in vga bios.

6. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    I meant pads for memory modules not for gpu die. If you read 1st page you will see that I already mounted fans around the card but it made no difference as the heatsink is to weak on Pulse.

Fans at 100% spinning at 3100rpm which is "normal" speed for Sapphire Pulse after few minutes of high gpu usage. Cooling on this card is very weak and obnoxiously loud. I was aiming for Nitro card at a beginning but it was impossible to find because of that mining havoc few years ago so..
    Only solution for loudness and throttling seems to be complete change of cooling like water, but I don't wanna water something like this.

7. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MX-4 isn't silicone based.... ALL silicone based thermal compounds "cure". MX-4 does not.
    MX-4 also isn't "watery" at all....lol

9. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    ok it is carbon based and it is not viscous is more thin.
    In this model that i have the same it does not work. For me it worked the arctic ceramique maybe because it is more viscous.
    In the same card i have tried silicon based pastes also with failed results.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Silicone based thermal pastes have very low thermal transfer rates.... Silicone is an insulator after all....
    If you think MX-4 is thin, you haven't used many thermal compounds.... thicker is rarely better since the objective is to fill microscopic scratches. If you're trying to fill a gap between cooler and die, you're better off replacing the cooler.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Thick thermal pastes aren't thick when they are warmed up by the chip when active. Thus why thick pastes still work well.