Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. evertjr

evertjr Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 460
    I noticed that Metro Exodus is incompatible with these standby cleaning tools, the game stutters even more and becomes unplayable. Meanwhile some games I have to set ISLC to be very agressive (Battlefield 1, Quantum Break) to play smooth. I just wish microsoft or nvidia fix this mess.

Smough likes this.
  2. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    I've noticed that after playing some Destiny 2 and then switching to Hunt Showdown standby list grows to a point there is 2-5MB free memory game is hitching mess after that. Clearing fixes all of the hitching for the rest of the game and standby list won't grow no more during Hunt Showdown and after closing the game. Would seem like some of the apps linger more and some don't. Good thing people have workarounds available. Thanks for you guys for helping.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That is not an incompatibility with ISLC, the game is actually using the newly released space and you're ending up with an OoM scenario either through the DX12 memory leak or actual lack of ram.

5. evertjr

evertjr Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 460
    In my case, it seems this game actually uses the resources it puts on standby list (just guessing) because if ISLC clean the list the game just hangs and the textures reload and the game keeps stuttering until the standby list is the same size it was before. Also I have 16gb RAM which is more than recomended specs. Moral of story: this game runs better with ISLC off. Anyway this game is such a disappointment, I loved previous Metro games and couldn't bother finishing this one.

6. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I was thinking on adding some sort of exclusion list or allowed program list in the future.
    No promise tho. That will depend on my motivation / free time.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I can provide you with module which will either check for running apps or monitor for starting and finishing apps.
    For example, class which accepts a list of apps to monitor and notifies to disable or enable the purging (or overall sampling of the memory).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  8. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    My arms are wide open :D

theoneofgod and Hemisfear like this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    OK, day or two... I have all pieces of code for that, just need to assemble them in one piece.

PS I just hope that C# will be OK for you. If not directly then as a .Net assembly.

Hemisfear likes this.
  10. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    It's perfect ISLC is in C#

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Nice. My VisualBasic skills are rusty a bit...

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    theoneofgod, Hemisfear and Wagnard like this.
  13. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Some thoughts about WMI optimization came to me. Will test them tomorrow...

theoneofgod likes this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    theoneofgod likes this.

16. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Nice, seems to work quite well.
    Except is I try to run "monitor.IsAppsExecuting" from another thread where it will return "false" when a "notepad or cmd" is open before ISLC launch. Currently investigating why.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Hemisfear likes this.
  17. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I would think an exclusion list would have the most utility. I've been using this to keep Win 10 in good shape to support a variety of game and image processing applications that have demanding memory requirements. For me, it would be simpler to list the occasional something that can't deal with having the standby memory allocation reset than to enumerate everything else.

p.s. Process Lasso has recently (31 Jul 19) updated their Smart Trim functionality to address this issue as well. I've been a long time user of PL and respect their perspective on subjects like this, and their validation of the need is gratifying. In any event, I still prefer to use ISLC to optimize this aspect of Win10 on my system.

Wagnard likes this.
  18. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yep I'm was going to go with the exclusion list.

Hemisfear likes this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Because there is no polling of running apps. We only used notifications about newly started processes to store the process IDs, so that when process launched before ISLC finishes its process ID is not in the list. To cover that we need to add polling on the start of ISLC. Or just ignore, because I doubt games are scheduled with the help of Task scheduler. Also you can simply state - if you want exclusion list, launch ISLC before your apps.

I have the code for polling, so if you decide to include that, I will update the sources.

Hemisfear likes this.
  20. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    It's weird because if I'm not checking from a new thread, it is working.
    Anyway I'm testing something at the moment that seems to work. Just verifying if it doesn't eat too much CPU.

theoneofgod likes this.