Event / Tech Coverage: AMD Capsaicin 2017 - Vega - Threadripper

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This thread is a discussion thread for tonight's Capsaicin Siggraph 2017 related articles and event coverage from AMD.

2. Sarav

Sarav Guest

GPU:
    2GB
    Ughhh... How many events? Waiting for your review HH. Thanks.:bang:

3. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    What a weird name for an event

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm sure you knew, but just in case, that's a photo of the character Patrick Bateman in the film American Psycho, it is weird though!

5. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    What about the green planet stuff ?

At that rate, we will all need personal power plants to run PCs.

6. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    well.. threadripper looks like a success already, but vega have a long hard path to run... i think the pricing isn't that bad..

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Damn that 1900x looks smexy, however lets see how hot it gets and how well it can OC.

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    425watts on the vega 64 LCS... that's a whole system by itself lol, maybe the 1200+ watts power supplies might start selling more again ;)

Looking forward to your review HH, hope it comes out Better than the rumours so far

9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

10. baasgene

baasgene Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    So much for the almighty HBM2, it has the same bandwidth as a Ti, except you know like most of us my Ti is running at 12ghz memory so that's well over 500gb of bandwidth. If HBM1 is any indication it won't OC very well and end up being worse than GDDR5x.

Unless HBM3 is leaps and bounds ahead then I'd say GDDR6 is the future.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

11. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Pricing seems good, especially when compared to the rumored prices a few days ago (500 or 550$). For complete system builders/changers, that extra 100$ voucher for the CPU+MOBO combo is neat. Plus you get 2 games, one of which is an upcoming title.

12. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    Awaiting general power consumption results for ordinary tasks before deciding on this.

13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    You could actually double the bandwidth of HBM by using more stacks, like NVIDIA does on their GV100 GPUs - but of course more stacks cost more money (and GV100 costs a fortune, but its a "pro" datacenter GPU).

In any case I tend to generally agree. HBM is largely overrated for consumer use. To get an actual bandwidth advantage you would need to use 4 stacks, which costs a lot of money, and at 2 stacks GDDR5x and the future GDDR6 will match or even beat it - at a lower pricepoint at that.

14. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    My Gigabyte G1 1080, consumes 216W (capped by BIOS) and it still has Power perfcap at that wattage limit.

But of course, it's overclocked and it performs very well for that Wattage, between a 1080 reference and a 1080 ti reference.

I'd like to switch to AMD in a future, but I hope AMD has a good alternative regarding performance/powerconsumption. If it's just a few watts more worse than nvidia (like 30-50 watt) I'd buy, but not more.

At the end, it should help the market and benefit all of us, if nvidia has some competition in the hi-end.

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Wasn't that Vega Liquid cooled model 345W vs 295W of the air cooled vs 215w of the 56 model.

16. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    I read several times that these numbers are only GPU power, not the entire card. Don't know if true.

[​IMG]

I sure hope the 56 model turns out to be a lot faster than the 1070, that's the most interesting one for me.

17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    From what i have seen it's around 350-400 watts alone for the LCS one, getting different numbers depending on what article i've seen, although real world numbers could very well be lower depending on the game and demand of course

Overclocking the card (if possible) could quite easily increase that to 500watts from the GPU alone, no wonder they put a liquid cooler on it again, the thing is going to be so toasty with just air

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I just wonder. Where is the 4x perf/watt vs whatever. Oh well. It might be on lower clocks.

19. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Wow how disappointed are Ryzen 1700/1800 builders right now? A threadripper with 8/16 got snuck in. I'm sure they kept that quiet to keep selling the Ryzen. I had a sneaking suspicion they might do this and luckily I waited to pull the trigger on Ryzen. Now just wait and see how the 1900x gets along. The Vega seems to be a clunker. The 1080 has been around too long now for AMD to upset that market. And now with the ridiculous power requirements. 1000w gpu needed to run just the Vega? A Threadripper build with A Vega card is going to cause so much heating problems inside of cases. As someone else stated you will need a separate power company account to run the computer! An overclocked Threadripper, an overclocked Vega card, you will be able to pop popcorn on top of your rig. That's o.k. I guess if you watch Netflix on your computer. This will also cause degradation of all the electronics in your rig. THREADRIPPER YES! VEGA NAH NOT FOR ME.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  20. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    8 Core TR with 64 PCIe channels and Quad ram channels?!:eek::gape: