DX10.1 not supported by current DX10 hardware!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Armoured, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I cannot stand people who complain about **** like this. DX10.1 titles probably won't even be produced till like 2009, not to mention if a game comes out that is 10.1 it still supports DX10, and DX9 cards, so NvidiaFreaks idea of Crysis is just plain dumb. Also, if Microsoft never required hardware features for cards we would still be stuck on ****ty hardware and terrible games, hardware requirement is a natural progression.

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I don't accept it, and I don't think many do. I decided against a $500 card last April with this build and went the $300 route because I knew that the DirectX10 cards were just around the corner, and I should wait 'til then to make such a big purchase as it would (presumably) keep me current longer. Spending $300 for me was rare, I usually don't stray over $200 for a gpu.

I can live with the hardware requirements amping up every year or more, they always have. You could go a couple years without upgrading and usually not be totally left behind.

But, 6 month intervals between is really pushing it. And I'm not talking about nvidia releasing the 9 series, 10 series and 11 series all in the span of 10 months, I could care less if they do if I'm still current with the 9 series. I'm talking about M$ making the changes that the programmers can use and hardware vendors have to adhere to.

It seems odd that the 1st patch to directX, which is what a 0.1 increment ought to be, a patch, should force new hardware to use it. If it's that dramatic a change, just call it DirectX11 and we'll likely be able to swallow that pill a little easier. Also, would it hurt to have held these changes off another 6 months for a bigger release? ...Or is it that the changes are so important that they should have been included in directX 10.0 in the first place and M$ released something before it was ready? Sloppy to say the least.

Just seems like a big F*** You from our friends over at the big M.

It's stuff like this that will drive even more people away from pc gaming to consoles.

3. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Frankly I think they should slow down a bit. The fact that Windows Vista, and Dirext X 10 cards are out and have been for a little while should be enough of a hint. Why? Because fully ground up developed DX10 titles aren't even a reality right now. Whats to stop companies from seeing whatever potential DX 10.1 has and developing their next sets of games using it and simply doing whats happening now with DX10 and keep developing with DX9 and cherry picking the features they want to use and call it a DX10 game?

I'm not saying they would just start requiring us to have DX10.1 in a couple months, I just mean if developers choose to utilize it because its even friendlier than 10, whats to stop us from getting a bunch of crap in the meantime?

I won't claim to know exactly how the market is doing right now or how sales are, but in general, there are MANY people around me hesistant to even upgrade to Vista let alone a DX10 card right now. I was dissapointed in that E3 this year didn't push alot of games to provide the incentive for people to upgrade. Yes, Microsoft is trying to strenghthen PC gaming with its GFW brand. But even Microsoft themselves haven't shown much outside of 360 ports like Gears of War, which probably won't sell to anyone but those who already have the hardware to blast it.

I tried Vista again this past week and I am liking what I see. I also now have an 8800GTX so I am excited about the upcoming flurry of PC games. I have avoided trying out CoJ and Lost Planet DX10 because of the not so great things I have heard thus far.

My only major concern with the whole situation is that I just hope the 8800GTX doesn't turn into a neglected 2007 sneeze. I'm not blind to the fact that hardware becomes obsolete nearly as fast as when you blink, but how it all appears to me at this current time is that the 8000 series and more specifically the GTX will be remembered as nothing more than an ultimate monster Direct X 9 video card that just happened to have some gimmicky DX10 sticker slapped on its box.

4. ginge51

ginge51 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC 3072
    yep this is exacley the problem with pcs allthough you could just wait with the stuff you have now and not update to the latest dirextx10.1 as no doubt the games will be able to use the 10 version of directx just as good.

5. ginge51

ginge51 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC 3072
    exaley my point everything will be backward compatible :)

6. Boing

Boing Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX

Same here mate, i dont know what this lot have been smoking but i USED to buy the top graphics cards, i went from the Voodoo 2 , Tnt2 , Grforce 1, Geforce 2 GTS GeForce Ti 4600, ATI 9700Pro, and thats where i stopped buying the high range and started to get the mid range, because all these cards were under £200.

Now its well over £200 for a high end card.

7. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    looks like they found another way to stur the piggy bank.. make a new gen of Graphics and games.. so buy a new card every time...

8. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    i am still waiting to put my 64 bit processor to work on a 64 bit game.

talk about a scam, the whole 64 bit thing was a huge moneymaker for cpu companies. I dont know of a single game that is 64 bit.

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Never the case in aus.

Video cards/CPUS/MBs/ Especially RAM...are all getting SO much cheaper....

Video Cards Are slowly decreasing.....But back in the day, Top of the line costed over 1500 Aud Dollars.. Now its usually, around 700-800 For top of the line

10. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    It's all because of windows. If microsoft keeps releasing 32bit operating systems, devellopers will never build 64bit games.

11. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    No, it just means if a card is going to be 'DX10.1' it needs to be ABLE to do 4xAA. MS is just making it a requirement that a card is able to do that, nVidia/ATi will still have the ability to use 2xAA in games/none at all.

12. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 9 will probably support 2xAA, but I think that Geforce 10 will have 4xAA enabled by default. A few more generations and 16xAA will be enabled by default.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Who cares, how long do you think it will be before we have about 5x games that are using Dx10.1, bearing in mind 8800's have been out 9 months already and we still dont have 1x single Dx10 game, absolutely ZERO Dx10 games out yet to play on em, and by the time we have about 4-5 were going to be somewhere in 2008, and the 8800's will be over 1 year old then. :smoke:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  14. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    It's not so much that it's not supported, I mean come on, we are still waiting for some decent DX10 games and 64bit stuff to truly shine.

And by the time 10.1 does start making it's way into things, it'll be years down the track and people will have most likely upgraded since.

The thing that concerns me, is this 4xaa mandatory setting they are introducing. That's quite a lot, and I think thats where people will struggle.

I also think there's something else behind this, I'm pretty sure they'll push this into their next Xbox, and with 4xaa mandatory, the visual improvements will be a lot better, and with the ease of things being developed particularly for it, it just ensures the xbox comes out on top in the console market.

15. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    i don't feel so alone hahaha.

16. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    Im glad I waited now.Sweet.now the New cards will be out before X-mas.lol. cant wait.

17. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    No one will 'struggle' anymore than they do already with low end PCs. If you read the slide they are making it mandatory a card can DO 4xMSAA. It is no longer optional, a card has to be able to do 4xMSAA, that does not me it has to be applied constantly.

As for the motive behind it, I'm not sure, every GPU since the 9000/FX series from ATi/nVidia have supported it anyway. I would imagine this has something to do with ATi or nVidia pushing it instead of Microsoft doing it for Xbox related reasons, after all it makes any possible competitor to support ANOTHER thing in hardware. In fact I don't think the XGI or S3 have made GPUs that support 4xMSAA yet, as they solely used SSAA.

18. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    Like I sad before, I think that it's just the first step. It's possible that the Geforce 10 cards have it enabled by default.

19. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    :rolleyes: I think that says enough. Just because you can get better stuff doesn't mean you "have to". You life will be the same and nothing will happen. Whiny children. :rolleyes:

20. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Eh, I don't care, I have no plans for installing Vista anytime in the next few years anyway, I've had it forever but no reason to install.

All I cared about when I got my card was for making TES 4: Oblivion run well, I don't care about anything else. After all, the only game I played before that was TES 3: Morrowind (which I still play..), I won't need another upgrade until TES 5 comes out!