DVI vs VGA

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Kevin91, Jan 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Kevin91

Kevin91 Guest

GPU:
    XFXRadeon RX580 8GB
    Hi Guru3d!

At work I use 2 monitors, 1 is connected by VGA and the other by DVI.
    The monitor connected with DVI seems to have a better display quality. By this I mean the colors look better, black is real black and not black with a white effect on it. Both these monitors are 24" and connected to the same GPU.

At home I am using a 24" monitor on a HD6950 connected with a VGA cable.
    My question is: Would I get a better display quality if I switch my VGA cable for a DVI cable, or is it just the difference in monitor quality?

Thanks!
    Kevin

EDIT: Friend got me a DVI-cable, will post results back here for anyone interested!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    DVI offers a higher quality signal compared to VGA. The difference is especially noticeable at higher resolutions. The video quality is a factor of the mechanism of operation and the length and quality of the cable.

3. toniglandyl

toniglandyl Guest

GPU:
    8800GT 512
    for me, a VGA cable is OK until you reach 1600*1050 (or something like that). I notice the blur on the screen at that resolution. :/

4. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    VGA is analog , setting is probably wrong on. Ga since everything is manual .dvi is better yes but on average it rarely happen . vga was very good . only last year ms began using invariant tsc so I doubt everything is optimsed yet .where dvi shine is performance . but its nowhere near display port in term of quality and speed . and dp is getting an upgrade in 2014 it goes to dp1.3 .dp is way better then HDMI by the way . I had vga ,dvi,HDMI,and dp
    And me I recommend ,vga,dvi,dp and ignore hdmi

5. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    The DVI signal goes thru less conversions then VGA.
    Video is processed in digital in the graphics card, then signal is then converted to analog, before going up the VGA cable. The cheaper the graphics card, the cheaper the hardware that does that conversion (poorer video quality).
    Where as DVI carries the digital signal straight off the graphics card and sends it to monitor.
    So hopefully the DVI cable (hopefully it's DVI-D) will improve the graphics quality.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    DVI comes in 3 flavours; DVI-A, DVI-D, and DVI-I. If the monitor is analogue it won't make a shred of difference.

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Yeah I guess the biggest question is what kind of monitors are you using>? When i switched from Vga to Dvi I didnt Notice any diffrence in picture quality until I switched-out my monitor, I was using an older Vizio 1366x768 monitor vs my newer Asus ve247 h 1920x1080.The diffrence there was Major!