Downsampling with AMD Crimson: Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Nov 25, 2015.

1. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
    Assuming you're talking to me, do you remember which version of crimson was the first to have the custom resolution thingy?

Thanks in advance.

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    First Crimson release has it...

3. someonelikeyou

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
    @fr33jack
    It worked!

4. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Yeah, I know...ofc it worked :)

5. ClaudeL

ClaudeL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950m
    Great job and everything but how to set up downscaling on a laptop (so with build in display). I do not have the option to override the display settings, so no EDID in Common. Im really, really noob at this and just trying to get the downsampling right so I can play SWKotOR on my older laptop that has 1366x764 display and HD5470. So if you can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

6. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @ClaudeL, in your CCC should be something like "digital flat panel" where you can add predefined HDTV resolutions like 1080p@30-50-60hz...if you add one of these you have your "EDID" in registry...

[​IMG]

...do you have this tab?

7. ClaudeL

ClaudeL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950m
    Well, that's what I was saying, being a laptop with built-in display, I do not have that tab (because I do not have a flat inch display monitor or any other sort for that matter). But I have been doing some research on this and did manage to find a mod for the program that I wanted scaled @ a different resolution instead.

Tricky world to navigate in, the cyberworld of pc's :D But I will be doing a build soon for a brand new rig and these tips certainly will prove useful in the future. Great job you're doing! :thumbup:

8. edneyhelene

edneyhelene Guest

GPU:
    R9 270x MSI OC Gaming 2gb
    Guys im using windows 10 x64, my card is the msi 270x gaming oc and my monitor is the LG 20En33 19,5'.... i enabled vsr and the max resolution i can use is 1900x1200...is there any way to go upper? i would like to use higher resolutions ... my defaul resolution is 1600x900.

9. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Guy, I just successfully unlocked VSR through Crimson on my LG 29UM-57-p ( Native resolution 2560 X 1080) Ultrawide screen. I am about to redo the process and take screen shots to duplicate and post. I have 2 R9 290 (one X and one not X) and 2 monitors and 1 TV hooked up at the moment. I had to use CRU to enable the VSR option on my Ultra Widescreen.

1. Run CRU with Admin
    2. Add real non ultra wide screen resolution. I used 2560 x 1440.
    3 Restart
    4. Open Display Option in Windows
    5. You will see for you ultra wide monitor resolotion the resolution you added with CRU and I am guessing the max VSR resolution are now options you can select.

Note for my other monitor and TV there are more VSR resolutions choices then for my Ultrawide.

See Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  10. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    I am curious what your method is, as I have the exact same monitor! I probably dont have the gpu power (vram mostly) to spare, but the option is always welcomed.

11. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega

I just posted what I did with the steps I used and some pics. I ran a quick 3dmark did not see any real difference compared to old results. Gonna see if CRU is really needed. I am thinking the steps in the used from previous VSR "enabling hacks" as well as the info in the first post. However I am not really that great with the hex stuff so might take a while.

I ran across this this morning as my monitor overclock was stuck at 60 when I know it does 76 with no issue. Still fighting that issue this morning, and not sure why that would be changed. That issue started before I stumbled across enabling ultra wide monitor VSR in Crimson.

/EDIT This is gonna need more testing, as there seems to be some side effects in windows. 1. Using VSR on desktop then returning to native resolution does not work, it seems to keep the VSR until reboot.

2. In the only game I have installed atm, VSR works in the game, but once again trying to switch back to native resolution had some funky new in game resolution which seemed to be even greater then the max I can choose. However exiting game restores desktop perfectly without reboot.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  12. acewing

acewing New Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600 8GB
    Would this be possible to do on an older card if VSR is not supported?

I tried following the instructions as it doesn't seem to require VSR to be enabled, but Windows refuses to switch to the new custom resolution, throwing me instead to 1280x1024 which isn't even my native resolution.

Or would there be a way to force VSR on by some registry edit?

I used to do this just fine with the same monitor (1366x768 native, custom resolution 1920x1080) back when I had an Nvidia card, so it's something that would be nice to have again.

13. someonelikeyou

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
    Would would be the equivalent of 23.976 in hex for the refresh rates? Currently trying to get the most common refresh rates in so I can change to them when watching movies. 2HEX won't accept fractions.

Also should I create the initial resolution with the refresh rate I want or create it with 60hz and then change it in the registry?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  14. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    thank you fr33jack work great here :banana: i have 1440x900 screen no probleme up to 2560x1600 :banana: on Windows 10 anniversry update Crimson 16.7.3

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    That method sucks IMHO. 16:9 res on ultra wide sucks. You can easily just add 3360x1440 @ 60hz on any 290/290x/R9 285/ R9 380, and new gpu and the internal scaler works with at 60hz.

When using a R9 280, 3360x1440 would only work @ 40hz and felt slow as hell compared to even 60hz.

16. hepter

hepter Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x
    downscale problem after win10 update

doesnt work after windows 10 creator upgrade.
    (my monitor 1280x1024,my custom resolution 1700x1360
    i got this error when select my custom resolution(settings/Display) "windows could not change your display to this resolution. Try a different resolution"

i havent fix yet but trying...
    if I cant solve it ill restore the last resort system