DownClock Fix for Fury/390 series cards (may work for others too)...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ReaperXL2, Mar 1, 2016.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No problem. It's released now, version 1.0.13

2. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    It works perfect. I tried in Fallout 4, in city area where gpu usage drop the clock stay at max all the time.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Great! Thanks :)

4. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    What does the value stand for? miliseconds? usage threshold?

This fix the dynamic clock but it make my card clocking up when watching youtube.
    Without this fix my card won't clock up when watching youtube and still getting the same FPS in games despite the clock dynamically clocking down.

Is there a middleground where it won't downclock in game yet also won't upclock when watching youtube video?

5. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Whats your core/mem clock when watching 1080p60fps yt video?

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Using Flash/HW acceleration? The clocks aren't going up here with HTML5.

7. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    I'm using HTML5 as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    I just wanted to say a big thanks to the OP for creating this post, I have a R9 380X, it's a great card no doubt. But I'll be dammed if it wasnt sh**, because I coud not play World of tanks at all with it, just clocks up and down sttuter all over the place. With this fix finally I can use this gfx. Not thanks to AMD after 3 WHQL drivers releases... Thank you Reaper and who ever found this. ;)

9. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Tbh I've never ever experienced any downclocking on my 290x but now I'm curious. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough to notice.

I've been using RadeonPro alot and I don't know if that negates the downclocking somehow.

10. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    well best way to find out is to use afterburner rts osd and see if it downclocks ever

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

11. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

My pleasure bro :thumbup:

For days, there was no response to my post & then !!! BOOM !!!

Nice one peeps :banana:

I have watched so many of you peeps contributing & assisting, so thought "It's time for me to do my bit"...

Why AMD has failed to fix this issue is beyond my comprehension... When something as simple as a registry entry presented by a End User solves the driver issues presented by the driver creators, there is something seriously wrong with the driver team workforce, either that or the management behind them...

Anyway, F*ck You AMD !!!

We already sorted your sh*t out for you :eek3:

Happy gaming people...

Peace :cheers:

12. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Tested the value at 40, it clocked up even higher when watching youtube.
    [​IMG]

Changed the value to 10, it still clock up but mostly around 350mhz-380mhz and my card still on idle voltage. I can live with that. Tested in Just Cause 3 and the clock still hold even on super low GPU usage area.
    [​IMG]

Will try value of 5 or 1 later if i can't sleep. :p

13. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Some upclocking is perfectly normal. My core clock is usually around 500MHz when watching 1080p60 yt video.

That's without the tweak.

14. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Even on my old rusty 7850, i notice the clocks stay on higher more often when watching some dxva videos with this reg-edit. Im on latest 16.2.1 so yeah it is making a difference. The less power saving nonsense, the better. Good stuff man!

15. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Superb effort testing bro :thumbup:

It would great if we could nail down different values that can be applied to various Pc usage scenarios... This would give users the choice given what they will primarily use their pc for...

Again, great work testing bro :)

Peace :cheers:

16. dave343

dave343 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 4GB
    This is why I was on the fence about buying an AMD card this week, although I was unaware of this particular issue before I made my decision. I did end up going with the Sapphire 380X 4GB but now having seen this I kind of wish I had gone for the GTX 960. I know... the 380X is quite a bit faster, but having always prefered nvidia cards, I couldn't justify it this round due to the GTX 960 selling for the exact same amount as the 380X.
    Now I know Nvidia has had their share of driver problems, but for the "most" part AMD's/ATI's has always been more trouble-some, or late to the party with optimizations. (Yes I'm also aware nvidia works with developers).

So now I've dropped $350+taxes (Canadian $) on the 380X only to have to apply a registry hack to stop the card from down clocking itself. Some might argue this isn't THAT big of an issue, and sure it only takes a few seconds, but it's the principle of it. How can AMD release the 16.2 drivers WITH this down clocking issue...?? They knowingly released drivers that down clock cards... :3eyes: And on the release notes they put this issue right at the bottom, the very last line probably in hopes most people won't see it or stop reading the notes half-way through. I know the GTX 960 is slower, and it doesn't have full DX12 support, but on principle alone I would return my card for the 960.
    This should have been fixed BEFORE releasing the driver. Of course if I actually do want to exchange my card, I'm now looking at a 10% restocking fee. :bang:

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This driver issue is stupid, as is exchanging a 380x for a 960 because of it. They have said in multiple sites that it's a priority to fix it, there is even a petition, you won't be having it really soon. You can also try RadeonPro and forcing the card on max clock through the Overdrive properties. Does your card actually have the problem?

18. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    You would exchange 380X for 960 because of an overly aggressive power saving that's fixed in seconds with a reg tweak?

I'm sure many CF owners would love to have a simple fix like that :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  19. dave343

dave343 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 4GB
    yes... but not just for that reason alone. As I said, I'm aware it's a 2 second fix. But it's the principle that AMD released the driver with the clocking issue known. Yeah... it's a small issue, but when they pull stuff like this it makes me 2nd my purchase. I love AMD, and I want to see them succeed, but crap like this doesn't help them. I bought the FX-8520 because I prefer AMD CPU's, but on the GPU side, I've always just preferred nvidia. Mostly for nostalgia reasons and driver support. (yes... I'm aware they've had their share of issues.)
    I have given AMD/ATI cards a try, I ran the 6850, 6950, 7850... X1950XTX, Rage II lol... but ever since buying the very first Geforce (Geforce 256 32mb) I've always preferred the green team. This time however since the 380X was the same price, I thought I'll give it a shot. You don't need to tell me it's faster than the 960, heck even the 380 I think is slightly faster, but I prefer Nvidia. Mostly nostalgia :)

20. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I say return it now before its to late! Get an Nvidia card and be in geek paradise cause they never have issues ever. AMD card will always have community fixes and workarounds....If that bugs you pay the restock fee before its too late. For me its a Non issue.