DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Tomorrow took off, some Doom day all day. :D

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Does it unlock at midnight? I'm all preloaded and ready to go. I'm not going to use a VPN.

3. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah they really restricted the amount of cvars this time, it started back with Wolfenstein New Order and it's stand-alone expansion and now for this game it's again very limited.

I mean there's only one g_ cvar and that's g_fov which granted is important but there's way more in the game engine itself just that it's all locked off, not unlike say Ryse since Crytek does much the same for their games or Frostbite from Dice both only keeping a select handful of cvars available normally.
    (Frostbite allows you to call other cvars via external config files and that has partially worked in Cry-Engine and IDTech too but I don't think it worked in Wolfenstein besides the already whitelisted cvars so it's doubtful if it'll work here too.)

There's no pl_ or "player" group cvars at all so doing stuff like hiding the gun model is going to be tricky whereas say in Doom 3 BFG where the full console was available you could freely resize and reposition the gun view and hide it entirely plus stuff like third person view and the usual cheats to name some things. (Cheat-wise only God is available as a command for Doom 4 and it locks you into dev mode which disables achievements and flags your savegame and any snapmap creations.)

It's pretty late here so I'm about done for tonight but I'm going to attempt to dump the text strings from the exe via process explorer and hopefully Crosire can get ReShade functional for this game although it might be a bit of a wait if the next release is going to be the new 3.0 version and it's pretty extensive changes.
    (Shader tweaks via ReShade would be pretty handy.)

Perhaps query Bethesda on their forums or some such about the "screenshot" command too and why it outputs ~50 KB empty black images instead of proper screenshots. (Optionally sampled up to I think it's almost unlimited but 64x is a pretty good value, only takes a few seconds for it to generate - and it takes almost no time at all for 8x and lower. - but the output is a blank file sadly.)

Not sure if they're going to expand the whitelisted cvars either, not sure why it's even locked off when in singleplayer in the first place as multiplayer and snapmap are different modes so limiting it to only SP shouldn't be too difficult.
    (Or alternatively patch in a photo mode, I assume Witcher 3 as of the next patch or expansion or maybe one of the other highlighted games will be first for that new Nvidia Ansel technique but Bethesda works pretty closely with Nvidia as does ID far as I know so this game could make good use of it too even if it would be restricted to Nvidia GPU's.)

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Could be something the Game Ready drivers improve.
    Or, the Day One patch that releases tomorrow could address.

6. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
  7. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    im routing through japan & it still wont unlock. damn. guess ill just wait

welcome back btw

8. WolfPT

WolfPT Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 GAMING X
    Try South Korea, worked for me.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Running the 365.10 drivers, yea I think probably a patch could sort, was very juddery just for that specific view, everywhere else on that part of the map was fine

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Takes about 30 seconds to a minute if you enable the VPN while steam is open, steam will say No Connection at the bottom for a couple seconds, then unlocks the game

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    playing on PS4 and so much FUN.

i just hate the feeling of my BODY movement. i think they recreate the old school shooter style. but it feels like iam in a VEHICLE. with gamepad the feeling of slow moving and fast moving is SO BAD. i remember bad movement games liek this from PS2 times. common. yeah old school but ...-_-

12. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Does anybody know what compute shaders do exactly ? I mean pretty much every game released since 2013 use compute for something but in the case of Doom 2016 is it recommended to have it checked ?

13. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    wont unlock for me using aus or japan vpn :(

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The 365.10 set are not the Doom Game Ready drivers.
    That set came out... last week I think. Nvidia are supposed to have a new set, for Doom, out this week. Either later today, or tomorrow.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I used flyVPN with Australian server, worked ok 2hrs ago.. But now that Im online I see its back to pre-load.. Will just wait another 30min :D

16. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    yeah i waited a good ten minutes, then closed & reopened steam just to make sure. found the problem: tunnelbear is a piece of crap. they put more effort into the hipster UI design than anything else. thanks for trying to help

17. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    yeah im using fly too, its not working this time though

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right, I used SoftEther VPN and a Japanese server

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah ok, well these ones run 99% perfectly if it is the drivers at fault lol

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Tis spiffy. :)
    I'm hoping the drivers release tonight so I can update and be ready for tomorrow.

But, anyone that's played it... what kind of save system is at play?
    Autosave/checkpoint is a given. But, manual saves, quick saves... being id I would think those would be a given. But, always nice to have it verified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.