Does HDTV has ATSC require HDTV RECIEVER?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Saeid, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    If i buy a HDTV that has a ATSC tuner, does that mean that i don't need
    to buy a seperate HDTV reciever? And that i can just connect the cable, and that's it?

Thanks.

2. RustDust

RustDust Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770
    ATSC tuner is for over the air (antenna) HD, if your on cable then you need a box from the cable company or a set with QAM.

3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    pretty much what he said...if the TV has a built in ATSC tuner just plug in a set of bunny ears that are capable of picking up digital (ATSC) over the air signals and you'll get your HD. :cool:

If you want it over cable/satellite you'll need the provider's equipment more than likely.

4. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Are there any TV's out there that have the reciever built into the tv?
    So that you could directly hook it up.

5. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  6. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for that article...

Then based on that, HD ready tv's require external tuners
    but HDTV's don't require one. HDTV's are the one's that have the ATSC tuner built in.

Just to clarify when you guys say connect the antenna, do you mean the cable from the wall into the tv? kinda like how you connect cable tv??

7. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    no when we (or at least I and anyone using terminology properly) means "bunny ears" not a wall outlet

8. greengiant

greengiant Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    yeah, if you want to get digital stations from your cable right off the wall the TV will need to specify it does QAM as well, but most newer TV's do

I would recommend getting a set top box from your cable company though, because you won't be able to get any encrypted channels(HBO, Showtime, etc.) even if you subscribe to them otherwise

9. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This tv provider is giving away 5 HD channels part of it's free package.
    They say that you just need a HDTV reciever and they give you free installation :)

I dont want to go rent one, or buy one. But i was going to invest in a good 40-42" LCD HDTV, and was hoping to find one that would be able to use it to get those 5 free HD channels.

10. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    the 5 free are probably the locals and you can pick them up with "bunny ears" attached to an HDTV with ATSC tuner. I got a cheap pair of RCA bunny ears that are capable of receiving terresterial ATSC and I get 'em no problem. :cool:

11. greengiant

greengiant Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    yeah check out what the stations are first, if it's just the locals... well I would call it a waste of money but you say they are free, it has to be some catch or you have to pay for the SD stations or something. what cable company is it?

what you need is a TV with a atsc tuner that accepts QAM and it will work out just fine

12. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    yea I don't see what the big deal is over the HD tuner

I mean I just use my cable company and I get 16 HDs (including all locals) so who cares. I just use their box for all my TV channels.

Plus if needed I have an old direcTV box that has a built in ATSC tuner I just use that for over the air stations on the TV. :cool: