Death Stranding

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Japanese david cage strikes again

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  3. scaredchimp

scaredchimp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970 SLI
    I think this is a marmite game, you either love it or hate it, it's the same with all Kojima games.

It's the same for Borderlands and dark souls type games.

I find dark souls as reskin of the same game over and over again and boring, just dodge attack dodge attack all the same.

Borderlands is childish pitchford humor and tried to get into it many times but couldn't.

I really like Kojimas convoluted stories, they are fun so wait to see what this is like.

But that's the joy of games, they are so varied with multiple tastes

angelgraves13, MerolaC and cerebus23 like this.
  4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    earth parkour simulator while you juggle ridiculous amounts of boxes on your back. :p

hey maybe a decent use of those tilt controls in the ps4 controller i always disable? ;P

one of those games i think we all have to play to see if the hook grabs us.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    That 30 second advert was more fun and more entertaining than that 8 minute launch trailer they released for the game.

Reclusive781, TheDeeGee and XenthorX like this.
  6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    So, I think Jeff Gertsmann described Death Stranding the best.
    In a video on Giantbomb he says "I think Kojima overheard people using the phrase 'walking simulator' and didn't realize it was meant as a detriment."

Amaze likes this.
  7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Ha.

Oh... wouldn't that just be... the way.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  8. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Well, it seems like a good review.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    they shilling for sony but he seemed to like it.

we start finding out soon either way.

10. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    If you ever wanted to know what its like working as a courier, this is your game.

I'll pick it up on PC, on sale.

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea i will see the release window my wallet and what i am playing and see what order i buy things these next few months. if it falls to a sale so be it.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Watched a video in which the guy basically says that you should ignore reviews of the game because Kojima was not making a game he was making a piece of art. That by its nature one persons perception and opinion of art is a deeply personal value and it is almost impossible to convey what another persons thoughts or feelings about a work of art will be. That you are best playing the game to get your own opinion or take away from the 'art'. He also mentioned that Kojima had earned his position to the degree that his work should be immune to review.

Or to put it another way exactly the sort of cr*p I knew people would come out with to try and justify this GAMES existence. Let me restate this is a GAME.

Games can be art but they cannot be exclusively art, the rationale behind that opinion is that unlike a painting or piece of music which require the end user to be utterly passive, beyond perhaps the recognition and mental processing of the art. A games art is only delivered through the direct interaction of the end user. If the end user is not driven to engage with the game then it doesn't matter what artistic intentions the game has, respective of the person to understand, comprehend or interpret any meaning, they will never progress enough to get the full picture (so to speak.) If the person does not play or want to play the game then their is no art to be experienced. It only becomes art by the very act of being played.

So this game is not immune to review or criticism and neither is Kojima. This is still a game and as such it is bound by some very basic criteria; are the mechanics engaging or flawed, is the world / gameplay loop enough to engage the player and drive them forward, does it suffer from poor pacing or long winded time consuming mechanics and mission structure, does the gameplay have flaws or bugs.

Most of all why the hell are so many people willing to just give Kojima a pass?

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I'll let sales speak for themselves :rolleyes:
    So far, i have no interest in this game, period.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Shouldn't use sales as a means of judging a games quality.

Same flaw in using opening weekend box office to judge a films quality. People going to see something for the first time doesn't mean it's good... just means the marketing did it's job.
    And Death Stranding has the easiest marketing out there... "New Game from Hideo Kojima"...

No matter how flawed, poor or flat out bad the game is, being from Kojima... it will sell like crazy.

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    wow we come all this way and we still debating are games art? ffs i would think the art side of making games was obvious, but we bust out the word art with this and it pretenses horseshit because art.

yea agree with the sentiment that kojima will sell because he has a reputation and fans, and hes fing earned it for all the pc haters hes got guys has been making art for decades. he goes the way of molynexu and rips people off and oversells his BS till it falls flat have at the guy.

you got a prime opportunity here with him creating a brand new walking simulator as a game, he and reviewers say its high art and a unique experience, well not that hard to deconstruct if they all blowing smoke play the thing and enjoy ripping his crap walking simulator to shreads.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, it is art... and as such people will feel differently about it.
    Some may see it as fine art, or some sort of advancement. Others... won't see anything special.

I consider all games art. But, only some games are good art. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice... is amazing art. Remedy's Alan Wake (and hell, damn near their entire library)... is amazing art.
    With it being so subjective, I can't personally say that what Kojima has made is "good" art, he had a vision... clearly. But, I don't feel he deserves special treatment just because he's Kojima. Is Death Stranding a good "game"... from what I've seen, read, heard... I personally would say no.
    Just because something is strange and quirky... and odd... that doesn't make it good.

17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    dark souls is high art as well.

and kojima has a directors eye that clear you watch a few of his legendary cut scenes.

and if you watch enough anime nothing he does is that strange or quirky ;p.

that is just japan.

see the same out of russian games there is stuff there that is russian and "strange" and high art russian games are equally as out there as anything kojima does.

the strange comes down to culture and looking at things from slightly different angles. that Russian fatalism, that Japanese imagination.

who is saying he gets special status anyway? i think most people are like guess i have to play the game to see if its good or crap, not many are saying kojima is above reproach. but nones played the game and a ton of people have a clear attitude about the creator that i am can see created by some of the fanboyism but i not seen a ton of tribalism around this title either, noone knows wtf to make of it.

if the hype fails tho your gonna get your wish of more people hating on the man.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I don't wish for anyone to hate him.
    I just want people to judge the game for the game, not his name.

And I love various anime, but, Kojima goes for a different kind of quirk and strange.
    Again, I don't have a problem with people liking his games, and I don't care if people love Death Stranding. I just want people to be realistic about it... do they love the game because they honestly enjoy the core gameplay loop.
    Or, are they blinded by Kojima's name, and because of this... Death Stranding is the best thing ever?

I have no delusions, this is not a game for me. And Kojima is not a game creator for me.
    But... even so, I hoped for it to surprise me and for it to be something I would want to play. But, just saying the more I saw... the more I could only think "the hell?"

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I'm not implying box office success define quality, thank god. Just that critics opinions don't matter at all, only sales count.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Looks like Kojoma Productions actually does intend to go into making movies in the future.... that's kinda cool.

cerebus23 likes this.