CPU scaling in games with dual and quad core processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 15, 2008.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    loved the guru3d cpu benchings it was a confirmation to me that the e8400 was a good purchase great price and great performance. ;)

2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Also agreed ! :) Still, real quad vs dual comparison would be to take Q9300 6mb cache set it 3.2GHz, comapre it to e8xxx @3.2 (also 6mb cache) and then fire up some games :) Somehow I doubt there would be much difference, if any at all...

:)

3. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    That's what I thought.

4. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    Great article!

I didn't see it mentioned, was affinity enabled for each core and each game so that all the cores are used?

5. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Nice article !

The 8800Ultra is still the most powerful single-card out there ?

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i never got why so many gamers go for quad core. even when 8 cores come out i bet few games will support 4 much less 8.

although the exact % numbers sound like Hilbert pulled it out of his ***
    considering the amount of pc games, the percentage of quad threaded games is more likley far lower than 1%, especially seeing that no current games natively support more than 2 cores, they merely throw a seperate thread for audio or another for non-hardware physix, thats hardly using a cores true potential and why no game benchmarks show much improvemtn over 2 cores

7. DeMS

DeMS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X HAWX 2GB
    I can confirm that the CPU that you have on your setup is not too relevant at high res, by playing at 1600x1200 (average, sometimes 1920x1400) on my rig on the left.

Only games that do not support the processor's technology are unable to run or do so too slow to be playable.

Okay, trick is to be tolerant to the lowest settings on most modern games, but still, they do run.

8. Geonerd

Geonerd New Member

No single core action. :(

Good writeup, but it's incomplete! :)

I'd like to have seen a few SINGLE core dinosaurs in the mix. How would my budget LE-1620 (AM2, 1M L2) at 3.x GHz have fared? It's not too late, grab one and give it a go!

-Greg