Chrome version 67 Add on Site Isolation as standard for protection against Spectre

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not sure what you're on about, just downloaded windows 10, the file you specifically talked about on edge (and yes, i prefer chrome), it was 4.4Gb, and had no issues downloading it. If you have a file website with something else, or something bigger, by all means i'll try it again, but Edge did not have any problems whatsoever with downloading Windows 10, 1803, english, 64bit, 4.4GB (says 4.5 on windows after downloaded, said 4.4 while downloading) ISO directly from microsoft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also not certain what you're talking about in regards to downloading and memory, as this was at 95% of that 4.4GB download, and i watched it mostly the whole time i was downloading, compared to Chrome, which currently has imgur, guru3d and google search opened.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    MasterBash and Carfax like this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    "Had" in my text meant something. Now it is not limitation preventing such action, it is crash. As for security. You probably missed advisory from MS to not use their browsers for banking. (Maybe it is outdated now, but it still tells story of MS with all its resources rather telling people to look elsewhere than push for quick fix.) MS is expert on putting bugs into fixes too.
    @Aura89 : Maybe it was bit too embarrassing, therefore they fixed it. But yhat does not change a thing. It was bug present in 2018 on version released to clients.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Maybe, maybe not. I've never had the issue, and i have downloaded windows 10 ISO's on clients computers via Edge (countless times, hence why i know how to download windows 10 ISO without the media creation tool, since they technically no longer support that) since the beginning of windows 10 (many people i build computers for want a physical backup of windows 10, specifically if they upgraded and i helped them through that process). So i can't say what you're claiming has ever been true, in fact i know it hasn't, not universally anyways, and not for the masses. That being said, that does not mean specific circumstances, software, hardware, etc. has not produced these issues for you, i'm not calling you a liar, i only know what i have done with edge over and over and over again suggests what you're claiming is not fact, but rather if at all true, is circumstantial.

I also just blew up Edge with opening countless tabs to bring the ram useage above 4GB, got past 5GB, and stopped, felt there was no more point going further. No crash, even while downloading windows 10 again.

I also just downloaded windows 10 iso again, but instead put it on a different HDD then what Edge is installed on, seeing if maybe that could reproduce your issue, and still it downloaded just fine.

[​IMG]

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    If that did happen, it must have happened a long time ago with some variant of Internet Explorer. Currently, Edge is a very secure browser and has excellent sandboxing technology. Plus Microsoft smartscreen filter is better than Google's safe browsing when it comes to blocking malware and phishing websites.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think people misplace their trust. Reason why MS did not continue on "improving" iexplore is simple.
    That base code was full of holes, there were so many exploits known to MS and unfixed + those unknown to them.
    Making Edge did put all those hackers into square one.

But that's all. It's not like MS fired entire dev. team and hired new people for Edge. They are just making different set of holes, bugs, ...

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Right now I'm doing actual research on a new credit card, so I have around 21 tabs open on, with the RAM usage at 3GB and less than 1% CPU usage. Edge did have some serious stability issues in previous builds I will admit, but things have improved considerably with this latest version.

I will never deny Edge has had some serious teething issues, but it's definitely coming along nicely and is now a worthy challenger to Chrome. If Microsoft ever starts updating it through the Microsoft store instead of with the general updates, it could easily overtake Chrome as the best browser overall.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yes I agree with what you say, but remember that Internet Explorer has been around for a very long time, well before security concerns were at the forefront of considerations when designing a browser. All of that legacy code in Internet Explorer just couldn't hack it anymore, which is why they came up with Edge, which is supposed to be a clean slate.

Fox2232 likes this.
  8. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Have to give probs for Edge being light and efficient. It is only browser that works smoothly with my cheap china windows tablet. Chrome and firefox is stuttery mess compared to edge. But it has so many other problems that keeps me from using it for better pc's.

9. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Has anybody noticed that none mentions the ways of LOCATING producers/deployers of spectra/electra/shittectra and the similar stuff... Wouldn't it be easier to locate these guys, kill them or even better than that - cripple them - as to make them serve as a good example. I would have been delighted to be engaged within a team paying a short but memorable visit to such bimbos...

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Ah, murdering some IT guy working for NSA? Bad idea.\
    But they are thieves, they stole your performance without ever looking at your PC.
    And if they actually look at your PC, they'll steal much more than that.
    Still, death sentence for thief... what an idea.

11. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Not sure about you, but I would lightheartedly kill ANY cheater, biaser, malicious "IT expert" out there. Without a moment's hesitation. Cheating in PC games? I SWEAR with my whole being, I would be able (and I am capable of it) to break every bone in every finger, toe, every rib etc. of such guy . Afterwards, I'd take a glass of good, cold German beer and a huge piece of cheesecake.

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ha, kinda extreme! I have to admit I don't like cheaters in online gaming, and they do make me mad, but I wouldn't kill them or maim them, they're just saddos that then feel the need to cheat.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So you're a sociopath?

Thank you, alerting the officials now.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So...

We're gonna just overlook this at least once...And we're gonna go on without wanting to kill anyone.

15. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    I am most certainly NOT a "sociopath". Only, unlike you, I do not accept a kind of behavior based on a scheme "I will do whatever I can to provoke your anger, to make you suffer, to spit on you, to make your life miserable etc. and you'll be forced to remain passive in the name of DEMOCRACY, TOLERANCE, CHRISTIANITY...".
    To turn the other cheek (after one have been slapped by some scumbag)? Oh, no - I am definitely not such a guy. No - I will rather turn the scumbag (over). Say hello to the "officials", dear aura89, and convey my sincere apologies for not being a good, humble Samaritan, but a communist instead...

By the way: why did you thank me (you've written "thank you")? What's the reason for thanking me (it's kind of confusing, since you had expressed your disagreement with me - which is OK - I don't expect everyone to share my attitudes)?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That was not depiction of sociopathic behavior. (Violence can happen to be necessary evil/rationally justified. But not enjoyable as sociopaths have empathy.)
    That's clearly psychopathic. (Disregard for human life/borderline self-enjoyment from suffering of others.)

But I do not blame you, 1/2 of world stopped calling many things their names to prevent insult.
    Now, notice that I called it depiction. Because those 2 are not defined by their words, but actions.

(I think something is in the air, because we are derailing so many threads.)

17. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    You're becoming more and more confusing - now you admit you made a mistake by calling me sociopath and you're calling me psycho, instead! What is "in the air" (Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight)?. Though, I am not offended, dear aura, just amused to see how silly people can get. But rest assured I am not what you, obviously, would like me to be - I do jobs, on a regular basis, that require me to go through serious psychological and physical tests, every now and then, to get my license renewed. What about you - are you sure your marbles are still spinning the right way?

And who are the "officials" that you are threatening me with? NATO headquarters? MOSSAD? Board of executives of Disneyland?

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can ensure you that it is you who is bit confused. @Aura89 called you sociopath.
    I called your postings for what they hint. They do not hint sociopathic behavior. They show psychopathic behavior.
    But I did not call you psychopath either. Because if you actually acted based on those postings... you would be making them from prison (and that does not look like case). And you are apparently intelligent enough to weight in your self-interest versus what you consider deserved action towards those "Offenders".

19. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    OH, sorry - my fault, I was so sure it's the same guy - looks like you are twins, aren't you? Or, maybe, Don Quijote and Sancho Pansa?
    Your statements prove nothing - my (first) reaction (within this topic) comes as a result of being fed up with bitter lies and cover-ups, and this reaction is (I am quite sure) shared by lots of ordinary people around the world who are aware of many dirty tricks and biases played upon them by governments (supported by media)... These people also feel that there isn't much what they can do about it, which results, mainly, in resignation. And majority of these people would do the same that I would do, if it only be technically possible.

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You sure defend your sociopath/psychopathic, whichever one it is, i don't really care, a lot. You must feel those tendencies define who you are, greatly.

I'm sorry to see you have degraded to this point already in your life.