Choppy downloading packets

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Clerity, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    Another edit:

When I thought I had fixed everything it happened again. My downloads cannot stabilize. I am able to reach maximum speed however on charts it cannot stabilize. It darts up and down, this is making gaming virtually impossible.

I've sought guidance in several places, I've asked several professionals I know personally and no one is able to come to a conclusion.

I've tested wired and wireless connections with several adapters, usb, pci, etc. I've restored my computer completely to nothing but the LAN/WLAN drivers and still the same problem.

This would lead to the thought it is my network or router, however my Phone and Laptop are able to maintain stable speeds. I also brought my desktop to a friend's house and redid all of the testing I already did, still nothing. I am losing my mind over this. It seems like there's no hope.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    Still looking for a solution, I am consulting my motherboard manufacturer based on a complete desperate effort for an answer.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What do u mean by "stabilize"?

Those tests u ran the other day were all done via wireless, I suggest using Ethernet and see how it goes. Some router stats like SNR/Attenuation, Interleaving depth would be good.

Have u contacted your ISP?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    ummm....data transfer doesn't occur at "stable" rates.

You're not describing an actual problem....nor are you giving anyone enough information to actually help you (if a problem even exists).

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  6. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I've tested a wired and wireless connection, by stable I mean maintaining constant download speed. My speeds continued to go from 0-50kbps all the way up to 4mbps. I was running 0% packet loss, 40-45 ping, jitter was around 1-2 every time I ran it.

Download speeds constantly fluctuated at ridiculous levels like 5kb to 4mb in a matter of a second, it would not hold a strong download speed, so internet is virtually unusable. Also inside of an online game, It's impossible to play as it drops me down to 4-5fps.

I do not believe it has anything to do with my internet connection as my laptop and my friend's computer have no troubles whatsoever. This issue is only on my desktop.

I'm not entirely sure how else to explain this issue. It remains to my desktop, it's the only device that has this complication, wired or wireless.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well without knowing your system config it's hard to give you an intelligent answer....

Have you checked for malware or any programs/services that could be accessing the net?

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I get drops in download speeds if my HDD becomes busy, I guess because it has to wait before it has somewhere temp to save the file

Quit whatever is using the HDD and the download speed jumps back up

9. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I have re-installed my OS as well as cleaned the registry, I don't think a virus is still around.

Well I just re-installed my OS on my SSD as well as on my HDD and the problem persists on both drives.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Please read my post again.....

Tbh you aren't helping one bit, and I'm really not interested in what you think I just want you to answer the questions. Is that too much to ask?

Lol and u cleaned the registry? With what? A registry cleaner...lol Yeah those are really great for the OS.....so obviously you have 3rd party apps installed, not just a fresh install right?

Lol nope. Gotta go. :nerd:

11. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    You changed what you said after I had made my post, you first said "Virus?" So calm down, and I'm not experienced with the networking side of things. You keep saying I'm not helping then I don't understand why you're still here. I'm providing you with the information I know and answering your questions in the best way I can.

Also no, I made a clean install, nothing but drivers off the discs for testing purposes.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Download and install all the latest drivers from the manufacturers sites, particularly the chipset and networking ones

13. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I did that afterwards, same problem occurs. I contacted tech support from where I bought the computer this problem is happening on and they said after everything I've tried to give flashing the bios a shot, otherwise to send in my motherboard for replacement. It seems strange to me, but I guess it's worth a try as much as anything else.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Most helpful post I've read all day

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmm, I did? My bad then I don't remember, I should stay of the drugs like my mum said.

16. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    some people just post because of how boring their lives are.

In any event, i might think its a latency issue, if you ruled out isp problems with another computers conected to your home network.

Try to find out if you got any Dpc latency on your computer that may be lagging out the packets, its not necesarly be the network.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

check and post any anormal signs of DPC latency. so we can rule out whats up with your rig.

17. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    hmm.... Its because you have an AMD processor. Only Intel can go online without packet loss.

18. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I have already stated I am losing no packets. Also, CPU has nothing to do with networking.

And xodius80, I'll give that a shot and post back.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Please explain, in your own words, how Receive Side Scaling works.

This should be interesting. lol

20. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    It's cute that you can use Google. You clearly don't understand it yourself. How about you spam someone else's topic, it's quite obvious you didn't get those posts from helping anyone.