CD Projekt RED Announces Cyberpunk

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    CDPR mixes side stuff well they did it in w3 also there is a ton of generic there but then there the effort ones that make them stand out, the fact other rpgs are so copy and paste with zero effort. old school bethesda like before radiant laziness.

2. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I must say that I hate how low is the camera in first person driving. I just don't see anything, especially in some cars. It really should have some adjustment, because it's kinda a shame that you have all these nice interiors and just skipping them for practicality. Also having GPS overlaid on the window instead of minimap would be nice too and it would even make sense, considering the setting.

ShadowDuke likes this.
  3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Off the back of that, I also think the front seats are too high, so, when you sit in the back it looks like the seats are blocking too much of the view. Like 2 huge slabs.

4. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    ^Maybe the high setting for car camera vertical angle is broken. Or possibly intended that way for whatever reason.

5. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
  6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I don't think I've ever looked forward to a game as much as this one but on actually playing it experienced both joy and disappointment in equal measures! I love Sci-Fi and I loved The Witcher 3 - played it for 300 hours across three platforms - so naturally I was looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. It's not my favourite genre but, hey, I liked Deus Ex and Blade Runner. I pre-ordered it for my PS4 Pro but due to the delay ended up playing it on my PS5 - a good thing considering how poor the performance is on the previous gen machines - as well as PC because, well, I wanted to support CD Projekt RED.

The first 6 hours were mixed on PS5 and PC. I didn't encounter any major bugs or crashes, though there were plenty of minor glitches, but I was impressed by the game running at what felt like a mostly locked 60 fps and visually it looked quite good, even if it falls short of the maxed out PC experience even without ray-tracing (obviously!). HDR is also seriously broken on this game so while it looked good on my 55" LG B9 OLED, it didn't pop quite as much as it should have. What let the game down for me in the opening stages was the poor introduction to the world of Cyberpunk 2077, the terminology and the characters. I found the language confusing and didn't understand what it was I was supposed to be doing and why. Also, the people I met seemed unlikeable, even my own character. It all felt a bit lacking. Then I got to a certain mission with Jackie and the aftermath of that sets up the rest of the game. It was here that I started to really immerse myself in the game and enjoy it. The game mechanics were starting to make sense and I was getting a feel for my character.

Then the bugs came. I did a mission where I had to shoot down pink flamingos to coax a car into returning to its base (don't ask!) and came across a house on the outskirts of the city with dead gang members and the city and buildings in the background would appear and disappear depending on what angle I approached the gate to the house. This was followed by flickering shadows, minor but still noticeable, on driving back into the city and eventually a crash while I was upgrading a weapon in the menu. Wow, what a great way to build up atmosphere. I think that sums up the game for me: it's a bit of an unpolished mess to be frank (even on PC); just when I am getting into it, a glitch or bug happens that takes me right out of the experience. I kind of want to play it, I keep thinking about playing it but something is telling me I should just leave it a while until it has been patched to fix most of the major bugs that are, for me, letting the game down. 2020 has been a difficult year for everyone and especially for the games industry with staff working from home. I can only imagine how they managed to put this together to be honest but I do wish that CDPR had delayed the game into 2021 to polish it up a lot more. First impressions last, unfortunately, and much as I want to like this game, it comes across as just a bit disappointing. That in itself is something I never thought I'd say about a CDPR game.

If I am being brutally honest then I would say that this game really is not a huge leap over other open world(-ish) games like Deus Ex. Night City looks great visually, particularly at night, but it does not feel like a real place like, say, GTA V does. The A.I. is not especially great and there's plenty of wonky animations and bugs to kind of remind me that I am playing a game. There isn't the sense of place and history that The Witcher 3 had for example. There's plenty of things to pick up and read scattered around to get a sense of the history of the place but, honestly, after reading a couple I had no desire to read any of the others. Most aren't that interesting and many are too long, poorly paragraphed and a bit of a slog to read. Why do developers think these are interesting for games? I would rather have audio logs personally, something to listen to while I am carrying on with playing the game.

Also, the constant messages and telephone calls gets overwhelming and then I look at the map and think, hey, UbiSoft open world games really weren't that cluttered... were they?

Yeah, I'm very conflicted over this game. It's both great and not so great. I'm sure the game will get better over time though. Probably best to leave it for a few weeks and return to it next year when it's in a better state...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    alanm, coc, nikobellic and 3 others like this.
  7. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 X Trio
    At just about the 10-hour mark, having just recently completed the prologue portion of the game as a Street Kid. My thoughts so far:

Starting with the pros:
    - I really am in love with this game and having a great time with it. I feel that they've perfectly captured the Cyberpunk aesthetic and the world they've crafted is exactly what I was hoping to see. The visuals are vibrant and the level of detail and originality in the world are very impressive.
    - I have to double-dip on applauding the visuals. If you can crank them up and get decent framerates, it's hard to find fault with the visual appeal of this game unless you're just not into the aesthetic. Though, there are some unfortunate inconsistencies I've noticed with some of the lesser world objects here and there; for example, I was very put off when I noticed how poorly meshed and detailed things like the various bits of food look which are often enough in your face that I think they could warrant a bit more TLC.
    - The sheer amount of dialogue is vast and commitment to the voice acting is high quality. I appreciate the work CDPR put into this.
    - Gunplay, thankfully, is pretty well thought out and I enjoy the firefights and feel of how the various weapons work. This was a major worry of mine prior to actually playing.
    - From what I've seen so far, there is definitely more than enough pre-DLC content to allow at least a few different playthroughs.

The cons:
    - I have to concede that the bugs can be very distracting at times and while I haven't encountered any that are bad enough to completely ruin my experience, they are definitely there and they are noticeable and I have to make a conscious choice to ignore them. The most distracting for me are the random popping-in of NPCs at times and weird things that tend to happen while driving around. I've had only a single CTD and encountered the Talk To Viktor dialogue bug as well.
    - Driving is kind of stiff and not particularly enjoyable for me.
    - Like Darren mentioned, the way the lore is presented in the game leaves a lot to be desired for me. Luckily I am already pretty familiar with the lore and lingo, but some of the dialogue seems forced in an attempt to sound overly cool and comes across as cheesy at times ("detes" = details? c'mon...). I also find it a bit a of a shame that a lot of textual info is communicated via computer terminals (in the form of e-mails) and these data shards that are essentially the tablets of Deus Ex HR and MD. Having spent endless hours reading e-mails and messages in computer terminals in Deus Ex it's a bit of a drag to do it again. I'm hoping developers can find a fresher way to do this in the future.
    - Also have to agree with Darren that at its core the game is not really treading much new ground or reinventing the genre in any substantial way beyond showcasing what is clearly a leap in terms of technology and complexity. And that's honestly OK with me for the most part, but I was kind of hoping for some fresher mechanics and storytelling.
    - I find male-V's voice acting to be very annoying almost to the extent that I wish I could mute his dialogue.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    @Dragam1337 Having a blast with the 3090 and i still don't feel bottlenecks for my targeted 4K60.

Meanwhile i'm in the process of upgrading toward the 5900X, as a first step i bought a new RAM kit (230euros still !).
    Went from 8x4Go 2400MHz CL15 to 4x8Go 3200MHz CL14 (the kit is actually 3600MHz but Haswell-e can't handle that as far as i know).
    Waiting for prices to go back to normal as i'm not at all in a hurry and i still need further understanding of AMD sockets for picking the right motherboard!

Did you upgrade?

Valken and Dragam1337 like this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I think it's currently broken as setting it to high view doesn't seem to change anything.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  10. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ummm, i have a question.

The Screenshot mode in Cyberpunk (press "n" ingame) uses ANSEL????
    im wondering since, when im using this mode everything works so far, effects etc.. But when i press "Space" to make teh screenshot the Game just hangs and freezes my whole PC.. So i was wondering, since i use teh "CLeaned" Nvidia Driver without Ansel and stuff, if this might use Ansel and i need it installed?

anyone else has Clean drivers and having teh same experience?

Greetz

11. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Cyberpunk 2077 Ultrawide RTX 3080

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2020
    Valken likes this.
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    lol stadia doesn't even have 1.04 patch..

lol stadia,

stadia.......

fantaskarsef and cerebus23 like this.
  13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, same :D Basically all graphics intensive games don't run at more than 60 fps at 4k anyways with the 3090, so the cpu isn't a bottleneck at all - any 6c/12t cpu can do 60 fps in any game... more or less :p As long as they clock above 4 ghz anyways.

Oh yeah, that ought to give you a fairly big boost to cpu performance !

Nah, i intend to go with 11900k (blasphemy, i know... lol) and pair it with 4400 mhz ram, and then get a 165 hz or faster 4k display in time for the release of battlefield 6 :p

XenthorX likes this.
  14. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    33hours in. Had quite some matches with that animal women before i was able to take her out. Great fight if you're playing on hard.

Oh, and just f**ked a nice netrunner lady. Love the story so far. :)

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

16. No, it doesn't use Ansel. Also, the game writes screenshots to your default Windows "Pictures\Cyberpunk 2077\" folder.
    ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2020
  17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Just... HOW ?! I went crazy with the box fight and turned the game from hard to easy just for those matches... i know...

18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I don't mind the back seats so much, since I sat there on a few occasions only and during basically cutscenes. I mean, I get that there is some limitation since you can only pan your head, instead of actually moving it around, however for practical first person driving that camera is just too damn low. Especially in some "cadillac" cars where I feel like you just have tiny viewport.

Stormyandcold and cerebus23 like this.
  19. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I tried ReShade today with Cyberpunk - and FakeHDR and Lumasharpen greatly increased the experience for me. Using those alongside the NVIDIA sharpening feature to reduce the blur caused by DLSS - pretty good so far.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It's quite blurry (using DLSS Balanced) but adding nVidia Sharpening really helped.

Not sure what I feel about the game so far, not super excited. Seen two visual bugs during my first 90 minutes but that's all. Wasted a lot of time with graphical settings so I haven't really gotten that far yet.

Performance is all over the place but I guess the true test will be out in the city.

Stormyandcold and fantaskarsef like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.