Catalyst 9.2 drivers discusion thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by StimpyOz, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    To get Xfire working properly in fear 2, you need the Crossfire extension :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=287994

2. MorSage

MorSage Member

GPU:
    Very interesting, you got a good system, it must be the memory bandwidth of the i7's that help SP2 RC. Peak framrates did not go up for me with SP2 RC but the better depth and smoothness of RC suggests to me that the minimum and average rates improve even with CCC max everything with AA set to X16 24 samples. When OCing Ithink tweaking the memory bandwidth helps control stuttering / slowdowns.

3. p1rategx

p1rategx Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850 512MB
    catalyst today update 9.2 ?

4. Funky Doodle

Funky Doodle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB
    i think tomorrow evening!

5. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well its not today. :p

7. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    :/ Hope it's tomorrow and I hope my code 43 gets fixed.

8. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
  9. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
  10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

11. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  12. Dark-Colonel

Dark-Colonel Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 470
    I find it kind of funny that most people expect a lot of gains from drivers.

Sure, you'll get them; but I think people here are expecting too much.

Throughout the life cycle of a videocard, an additional 10 - 20% (~5fps) can be added to a game. That is done by changing/optimizing the code that interacts with the hardware architecture. It's why we see gains in newer games after they come out. Sometimes, the developers themselves release patches that have optimized coding to work better with some graphics cards but that is rare.

I'm not having problems so I guess I'm on the lucky side? I guess I'd like ATi to improve video playback and performance but the current state doesn't bother me. Perhaps it's the methods some people use here when installing new drivers that is causing them problems. I always:

1. Uninstall driver through Control Panel
    2. Reboot and go into safe mode
    3. Use Driver Cleaner Pro in safe mode to remove all affiliated ATi stuff
    4. Reboot into Windows and install new drivers
    5. Reboot after installation and bada-bing-bada-boom your done

I've been doing that for as long as I can remember, and it has never failed! And no, I did not invent that method, I think ATT was the first website waaaaay back that pointed out this method.

Perhaps you guys should try doing a fresh install of Windows. I always do that whenever I add ANY new component to my PC.

13. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Thats what I always did too up to 8.11 with no issues. If 9.2 don't work for me then yeah I will have to reformat which I think I need anyway since my OS been running since 1/2008 and would like it fresh and clean.

14. lenne

lenne Guest

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Hey kitch9, i downclocked the 2d clocks and set the 2d vcore lower before and i know that the card can stand temps up to 100, what annoys me is that the power saving features a more like an unfinished attemp, just to calm down people, not to solve a solvable problem.

And things like nvidias gelato are missing aswell, but the shader architecture should allow it with a little extra effort i just expected.

Maybe it was just stupid from me to assume that something that expensive lives up to my expectations, i knew very well from older gen graphic cards that these stitched together cards just dont deliver.

i know aswell that a third party 3 slot (or even more ;) ) cooler will solve my noise problems, i just expected too much from the original design.

And fear 2 doesnt have a crossfire profile jet, thats why it even performs slower than with one card. ( google is your friend )

unfortunately i cant change the exes name, because steam restricts it.

maybe ill ask the rivatuner guy if he has an idea about disabling the second chip in 2d or switching it workload related in 3d.

15. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Right click the ati icon in your taskbar and enable show crossfirex icon when applicable.

An icon will now show when dual gpu's are active when running a 3d app. This is the case with Fear2 so yes Fear2 is crossfire recognised.

Is it optimal? Probably not but as I said 1 gpu is more than enough even so its one title I don't worry about.

I leave fans on their auto default and I don't find them that bad. It can sound like a quietish "whoosh" when things get a little warm, but nothing like the high pitched scream of my old 8800GT, that thing drove me nuts.

Turning one gpu off and on will not be as easy as you think I can imagine. Its one one the reasons we have to reboot after a driver update as stopping and starting processes usually means the hardware does not play nice until its re-initialised.

I did modify my case and I have got a 120mm Scythe Ninja fan blowing directly onto my cards intake though so that may help.

16. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I think a reformat will solve all of your problems, it did for me. It sounds like something has gone wrong somewhere. Why not try a fresh install on another partition or something?

17. praktik

praktik Guest

GPU:
    4870 512 in Crossfire
    Any other Civ 4: Beyond the Sword players here?

Coming off a fresh reformat of Vista 64 first game I installed was BTS, put on 9.1 fresh.

Getting intermittent game crashes after anything from 20-45 mins. Event viewer shows:
    Faulting application Civ4BeyondSword.exe, version 3.1.3.1, time stamp 0x48317e8a, faulting module atiumdag.dll, version 7.14.10.636, time stamp 0x496d6d9d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0004ad03, process id 0x568, application start time 0x01c98fda8758067c.​
    I don't see any other events directly before these ones indicating any problems.

Any idea of what settings in CCC BTS may not like?

Was considering turning off crossfire since BTS is not a demanding game - just more curious if any other BTS players w/ 9.1 and crossfire 48X0 series have noticed anything.

Game was always rock solid before!

18. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I have a similiar problem with BTS, it randomly crashes to desktop without an error message. Since I've got the game when the 9.1s were already out I haven't tried older drivers, I'm waiting for 9.2 now. My 4870 is a single GPU but I'm on Vista x64 too, looks like we have the same error.

Even WoW tends to crash now and then recently which never happened before in four years, may have something to do with the 9.1s too.

19. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I got random crashes with the 9.1's. I'd either wait until the 9.2's come out shortly or consider the 8.12's

20. The_Swead

The_Swead Member

GPU:
    asus gtx280/4870X2
    Same her codwaw crashes when map change

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.