cannot boot up XP with Intel DP965LT and GeForce7300GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YCT, Feb 28, 2007.

1. YCT

YCT Member

I tried to assemble a new PC with Intel DP965LT MB, Xpertvision GeForce 7300GT PCIE display card and a Seagate SATA2 HDD. I copied my old hdd content onto the new hdd in the old PC. After hooked up the Seagate hdd with the new pc, the xp could not boot up. It kept going back to prompt me to select Safe Mode, Safe Mode with network, Safe mode woth command prompt, last known working config etc. Before I move the hdd to the new pc, I had removed the old pci driver from the hdd. I also tried enable VGA Mode with F8, with same result. I also tried plug in the old PCI display card into the new PC and the xp still would not boot up.

I appreciate if anyone could help.

2. FreakyNaughty

FreakyNaughty Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX
    Ok unless thats the exact same motherboard and cpu that you had before then thats the reason windows is not booting. The cpu and chipset drivers are trying to find the old hardware that is not there. You will have to reformat or put the hard drive back in the old comp, back your files up and then reformat.

By the way Welcome to Guru3d... :)

3. YCT

YCT Member

Thanks for your clarification. I tried to do a clean install of XP on the new PC. 1st with 6 pc startup diskettes, then with bootable CD ROM. Both methods failed to boot up to install XP although both work well when tried on my old PC and one other desktop PC with existing XP OS. However, I could boot up Win 2K CD ROM and install the Win 2K OS without any problem. But when I tried upgrading Win 2K to XP, the CD drive could not read the floppy disks or the bootable XP CD. CD drive is in working order. It can read audio CD and other data CD. My bootable XP CD is built with "Bart's way of creating bootable CD".

4. FreakyNaughty

FreakyNaughty Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX
    So your not using the xp install disk, your trying to use a bootable startup disk that you created in windows? Is that correct? If it is, use you xp install disk. Put disk in cd drive, restart computer and then when it comes up with a message saying Boot from cd thats what you do. You shoukd then be able to reformat your drive. IKf it doesn't come up with that message, into bios and change the boot order abd make 1st boot cd rom 2nd hard drive.

5. YCT

YCT Member

I do not have original XP installation CD. If I really have no other choice, I am considering using bootable USB.

The old hdd contains settings for my son's games. These settings are likely be lost if I do a clean install of OS. Any other ways to keep these settings intact ?

6. darkest darknes

darkest darknes Master Guru

GPU:
    X1950PRO sapphire AGP 512Mb
    I cant really think that getting the right settings for games can be that necessary... maby saving the con fig file? or a screenshot, of the ingame settings.

7. -=DeNMaN=-

-=DeNMaN=- Member

GPU:
    GB 280GTX on Dell 2407
    i do this quite often, upgradeing machines with new Mobo but users wanna save their old HDD data.. Before moving the HDD to the new computer, change your IDE Bus drivers to "Standard Dual channel PCI IDE controller"
    once changed, shutdown and install HDD in new machine.. it should beable to boot up.. once on the desktop, just install all nessary drivers for hte system

8. YCT

YCT Member

You are right ! During my recent search for solution, I read similar advice on migrating hdd to a new PC. I booted into Safe Mode on the very 1st boot in the new PC and was able to load the driver for the new display card and some vital drivers for the new MB.

Thanks very much.