Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scaredchimp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Pre ordering that!!!

2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I dunno, for all the praise this series got (most of it directed at the second game), it never grabbed me. I've tried playing no. 2 extensively during the few free weekends it got, but it never "clicked" with me. I like shooters that don't include rpg mechanics like levelling and stat based weapons. The only "rpg" fps' I like are those of the Deus Ex kind. Then again, I've always been a Fallout/Baldur's Gate player, than I was a Diablo player. I also found the "constant" humour annoying after a while. I guess this will be a pass for me too. I'll more likely finally grab RAGE2 after it gets the new areas added it.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Borderlands 1 bored me tbh, and it took me couple of hours to like BL2 but it did click it for me, i played solo most of the time and really enjoyed it.

I liked the Pre sequel better than BL2, the gameplay and characters were much better than BL2, but story wise it was very lackluster.

4. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Not too excited for this, looks almost exactly the same as Borderlands 2 but now with a slide mechanic. It has new abilities sure, but they look mostly like a "rage" mode button. As in, press button when bar fills up, become powerful for 10 seconds, and then you're back to playing Borderlands 2 (with ground breaking slide mechanic) again.

Can't imagine playing one of these games for the story or writing, Borderlands always had really lowbrow humour and a plot that feels like an afterthought, but on the plus side Anthony Burch has nothing to do with 3, so it might become drastically funnier.

I dunno, just feeling overall meh about this game.

5. ^ This. I'm also struggling to see any real visual improvements over BL2. For me it already looks dated. And gameplay-wise it just feel strongly over-hyped.

6. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    To me "another" Borderlands is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want them to add in a bunch of unnecessary mechanics, or try and turn it into an MMO like Destiny, Division, etc. I just want a good FPS dungeon crawler I can zone out and enjoy pretty colors. Games like this are what I use to relax and decompress. I'm not looking for Oscar winning stories or "pulse pounding" blah blah blah. I just want to snipe guys and see the experience bar go up.

If it turns out as technically polished and overall good as Borderlands 2, I'll be very happy.

Zenoth likes this.
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If the difficulty is anything like BL2 i'm not interested.

Hated the difficulty scaling.

8. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I really enjoyed BL1 and BL2, but after playing Destiny 2 and then going back to BL2, the shooting in the latter kind of sucks in comparison. I'll probably wait for a deep discount on this one.

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    To hard, to easy, what was the issue with it?

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Too hard.

I'm extremely casual these days and play everything on Easy if possible.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Aside from the raid bosses, the game is pretty easy overall. Of course it could get crazy difficult with overpowered levels, but that's entirely optional.

If you want to breeze through the game then you can just use the save editor and gift yourself legendary gear (e.g., Bee + Sandhawk or Sham + Norfleet).

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Too bad physx isnt in this game, i loved that in borderlands 2.

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I know you're referring to GPU PhysX, but PhysX is still in the game as it's integrated into the engine and used for all of the game's physics. And to be honest, the updated software PhysX in UE4 is practically on par with the GPU PhysX that was used in BL2, without the huge performance hit and stuttering problems. I remember I had a dedicated PhysX card that I used or BL2, and it still stuttered occasionally. If you watch that trailer you posted above closely, you will see tons of really nice particle effects used very liberally all over the game but still running very smoothly.

I used to be a big proponent of GPU driven physics, but with the advent of multicore CPUs and 256 bit SIMD processing, there is just no reason for it anymore because the GPU already has its plate full with rendering while the CPU often remains under utilized for the most part. All of the effects that used to be exclusive to GPU PhysX can now be easily replicated with the current software PhysX.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I havent seen the effects that borderlands 2 used to have

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Even in that comparison video you can see the massive FPS drop.

16. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    The vortex grenades in BL2 with the PhysX effects cranked up were fantastic. Took my dedicated 970 GPU t it's knees, but it was great. :)

Carfax likes this.
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I was referring specifically to the amount and diversity of particle effects. But yeah, the particles in BL3 are no longer physically reactive in real time. However, in other games that use PhysX, you can see real time cloth simulation and physically reactive particle effects which are driven by the CPU.

The only GPU PhysX effects that we haven't seen implemented in software is fluid simulation, and that is particularly intensive.

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    cerebus23 likes this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    A fictional robot has a gender?... I'm so confused about what makes people angry these days.

Maybe it has a usb port.

I guess that's the safe way to refer to the character? "it".

AsiJu, cerebus23, Netherwind and 3 others like this.
  20. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Something tells me that "it" will not suffice, even though it's a machine, and therefore it is indeed an "it".

I guess that you could refer to the gender used for the word itself. In my language, the word "robot" is masculine (similar to German - der Robot). Why do we need to have discussions about this is beyond me, but I guess it's just the symptom of the age we live in. Why not just flood said forums with widely misgenedering comments aimed at Randy herself, seeing how they will no doubt respond with something representative of its age?