Big Bang: Start of The Universe, successfully re-created.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pill Monster, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    I won't try to prove\disprove anything, I'm just gonna sit here and watch those ppl at LHC having their theories crashed by teh undisputed evidence (OR, to be more precise, its absence).

Higgs himself said that if they don't find any bozons there he won't know what to believe and he'll admit that most of modern theories are nonsense and physicists know nothing :p

2. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    No. Ever taken introductory calculus? There's something called "limits." If Einstein was correct about needing an infinite amount of energy to reach and surpass the speed of light, then the expansion of the universe could never truly reach light speed. The expansions limit would be 299 792 458 m/s, meaning that given the graph of the expansions acceleration, that speed would be the vertical asymptote of the function. The expansion would still be constantly getting faster, however as it reaches its limit it will only increase by fractions of a nanometer per [insert unit of temporal measurement here], always just gaining additional smaller decimal values, never reaching the actual speed.

Given this, I wonder what happens to light that reaches the "boundary" of the expanding universe. Does it just fade out of existence?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I just finished watching that. What a sad reality it would be for civilizations in the future to reach a level of science to understand what we do but they cannot draw the same conclusions because the other galaxies are too far away. Who knows, maybe by some infinitesimal chance humans will still be around then to teach the truth, at least to those in Milky Way. :wanker:

All the talk about multiple universes always leads me to the same thought, our universe could be an insignificant spec in at an insignificant level in an insignificant spec in another universe and that repeats infinitely.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Einsteins theory of general relativity (geometric gravity) is that gravity is caused by the curvature of space-time. Since space is curved light traveling in a straight line essentially bends around the edges of the universe. Ergo space is finite rather than infinite.

I know it seems like a nonsensical comparison but imagine you walk in a straight line on earth. You go in a circle because gravity (acceleration due to the curvature of space) pulls you back towards the ground. With light the effects are much more minute, but gradually assuming it's not obstructed by stronger local gravities, light reaching the edge of the universe (no matter to interfere) should curve around the gravity well caused by the universe.

Ergo light can go on forever without truly reaching an end just like you can walk around the earth without falling off.

If I understand general relatively correctly anyway :p

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's not quite accurate.

The end doesn't depend on the rate of expansion, it depends on what type of Universe we live in, which controls the rate of expansion.
    Closed it will eventually contract, Flat it will slow down, and Open it will possibly rip itself apart, and yes it can expand faster than light.

Physicists now believe the Universe is Flat. This is what the Dark Matter and Dark Energy theory mainly relates to, as DP mentioned earlier.

Atm they are trying to find out whether DM/DE really exists, and if there is enough DM to hold it all together...

I have to be honest and say I felt depressed as hell after watching it..and very, very, lonely...
    In the future they won't see galaxies because space/nothing/DM wtf will moving to fast, and that means contacting ET will be almost impossible.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    The Big Bang Theory has been around for a while and is pretty widely accepted. Yes it's a step closer to understanding the origins of the Universe but it can't and won't answer the most fundemental question which is the actual beginning. I don't think we'll find this one out for a long time, if ever.

Still, any evidence to support TBBG is a plus. But for many people, like me, it's reaffirming what we've already accepted anyway.

Excuse me?

Point proven, moving on.

7. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    So they created a mini big bang that means a mini universe where millions of millions years from now will live creatures who will create a new mini big bang and discuss it on Internet forums.

8. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    You know, that really would be exciting. It may bring light unto the E-8 explanation by Garrett Lisi

It is the max speed WITHIN The Universe. However the expanding edge of The Universe is expanding into...a place that the laws of Physics do not apply. So it can do whatever it wants.

I too am a "Something that evolves was created in the first place" crew myself. It's both, not just one or the other.

A toast to you. :) Indeed.

9. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    No. They re-created similar conditions that were present shortly after the Big Bang. The "Big Bang" was the "expansion from singularity" of all of the things that comprise our Universe. It's like the opposite of a Black hole.

10. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    The way i heard it the other day was that by colliding lead ions and not protons, they recreated what happened a fraction of a second after the big bang and not the big bang itself. Also the reaction was quite a bit hotter than the centre of the sun which i thought was impressive.

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    FYI, for anyone interested as to why the Primordial Atom Expansion was referred to as The Big Bang.. It is accredited to a man named Fred Hoyle. Here is an article about him.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Pretty mindblowing to think all the matter in the Universe only makes up about 10% of the entire mass......if that theory is right.

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    See, I wonder the same thing. However if energy is conserved, then motion accounts for the rest of the missing mass. Plus Photons, when emitted, are essentially lost do to the lack of conversion turned into another form of energy. So if a galaxy is emitting x amount of it's energy in the form of electro magnetic energy by way of photons, then compound that with kinetic (as relative to observer) energy, then all energy is conserved. Black matter is an illusion and a gross lack of applying the most basic understandings of The Law of Conservation Of Energy. I think it has more to do with Physics politics and research grant money. The answers are staring us right in the face.

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    holy f*ck..my mind just melted reading the posts here..:D seriously, I applaud at how smart you guys are

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Thanks - can't be that smart though cause idk wtf DP said to me.:D

Just threw 1 or 2 scientific sounding words in my reply and hoped they fit in with wat he was discussing....:p

16. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    The further we seek understanding of the Universe, the deeper we look into ourselves. We may understand the fundamental laws of Physics however we lack the basic understandings of ourselves and since we model the world after ourselves, we reach a barrier of understanding. As we delve deeper and deeper, we are ultimately looking for our place in the Universe. And since we cannot justify our own place, we placate ourselves with physical laws which only serve to explain what is is that we see within ourselves but cannot explain. This is just my own observation and may not directly reflect upon Humanity en whole. Please tell me that I do not make sense though. I will not flame you.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You should check out some of the youtube vids..

Have you ever seen the 3D model of what the universe looks like? It's made up from the Hubble space telescope info.

It will give you a whole new perspective on life....

**** 10 years ago we had no idea...now we actually have acomplete picture of the make up of galaxies - like a map.. Amazing.

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    if the universe and everything in it was all started by a single atom, who made the atom?

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    LOL please no, that shlt does my head in...I can't grasp the concept of nothingness.

My brain is too small, and many cells have died. :D

We prob don't have the brainpower to grasp or understand any answer ....I mean it would be like trying explain something to ur cat...our minds are to small.

Doesn't matter if u believe science or creation or both...wat started this whole thing is.......

nvm fried brain already..

20. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Ahh, the classic "If God Made the Universe, then who made God?" theorem. At the level of things we are talking about, it is the "starting point" and is therefore negligent of any needing of further questioning. For it is the mind which is a product of the Universe itself and in which, which parlays itself to ask such questions.

"Who made me?" is the same question en whole.