Best Driver for GTX 980

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vicalvi, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Vicalvi

Vicalvi Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 680 SC Signature
    Hi folks,

I would like to know, in my case that I have a GTX 980, if it is always better to install the latest driver available, or would you have a driver indication for the GTX 980? Because it is an older series.

Thank you

2. Tantawi

Tantawi Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX3070
    Always stick with the latest unless you experience a problem that is widely attributed to the new driver and your particular system configuration. Don't believe everything you read on internet forums.

Caesar, warlord, Vidik and 1 other person like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Latest driver, end of topic.

4. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    I didn't find the latest quite as smooth as 388.59. From a 980ti user .

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Placebo effect.

6. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    I bet you don't even own a 980 series anymore and haven't even tested this. I'm using the latest as it supports 8bit + dithering HDR which the 388.59 doesn't support. But let's say your right, then there is no point in this forum and your just as sad as everyone else, by commenting on it.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    @OP Always use the latest unless there is a specific issue it causes.

It generally is placebo.

Many people claim that newer drivers have worse performance but benchmarks prove that to be incorrect

Smough, yasamoka and warlord like this.
  8. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    ****Sorry we are closing this forum, the latest driver is always the best, and if it isn't, it's a problem with your computer (or all in your imagination), so if everyone can just go away, and play some games instead. Thank you everyone for your participation*****

pimpineasy and cryohellinc like this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

Tantawi likes this.
  10. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Idk, you may have to try different control panel or inspector settings for your games/apps with the latest 398 drivers.
    On the hotfix for example, vsync on in nvcpl crashes Witcher 3 for me, whilst using in game fps limit 60.
    Force off vsync alone and the issue goes away.Older drivers now have the same issue, so I'm blaming Win10.....again.

11. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    RodroG on Reddit seems to have done a lot of benchmarking and doesn't agree. His recommended driver for Pascal is 391.35.

Is it so far out to consider that an older driver may suite older hardware better? Benchmarks focus on maximum FPS and sometimes minimum FPS. My focus is which driver is best at holding vsync at a constant 60fps and I tune the graphics settings with this in mind. I find more frames are dropped with latest driver, I'm only talking slight drops down to 57fps where 388.59 will hold 60 or 59fps. I guess most people wouldn't notice and maybe benchmarks are missing this as they are normally using current gen hardware.

12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Driver's behavior includes a lot of parameters like stability, quality, features or efficiency. Performance alone is not enough to classify a driver better than another. Latest is always the all-round winner. If you are feeling restless due to a couple of frames loss test yourself.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Why don't you try it yourself?

It's pretty easy to run a benchmark a few times and average the .1%, 1% avg and max FPS and compare it to another driver.

And no, older drivers aren't going to be inherently worse unless there is a specific profile issue.

Games that are old enough have been using the same profile for a long time so reverting from a new driver to an older one won't make any difference.

yasamoka and cryohellinc like this.
  14. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i always use the latest and no problems at all on any nvidia/amd card

15. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Min fps and max fps in MHO bench in my case, is the same +/- a couple frames, from 385 - 398 drivers.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    388.84vk
    398.36 (kind of)
    398.58vk

These are ok, rest is c...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    nz3777, looniam and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Im playing escape from tarkov, some time ago the latest drivers caused issues and worse performance than some older one's i used. So, latest isnt the greatest 100% of the time. :p

-Tj- likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'd usually agree, but i've literally seen several drivers after 385.41 perform horrible on 980 cards.

19. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I tried to googled it. Would be interesting to see how older and newer drivers affect 900 series and 10series. Like, if one is good use it as reference. Keep couple of good ones and compare maybe few of the latest. Could be interesting to see, or boring asf.

20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Gtx 980 user here...Always use latest driver as stated above from other members, I use to back in the day wonder about stuff like this but then Life happend haha. As long as you dont have any issues New is better.

Gl with your gaming journey.

SpookySkeleton likes this.