Assembling a new system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CrunchyBiscuit, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I would suggest going with something newer than a 6700K. My non k 6700 still holds fine, but it may not for long?
    And i'm also on the "why not use Win10" bandwagon. Don't have any issues with 10 myself, latest technologies supported, something that 7 won't have.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    A piece of XP software that has already been jerry-rigged to work in Win7 is not easy to port to Win10.
    ALL XP software was basically 32bit for one. XP-64bit was rare, and almost wholly incompatible with anything.
    (We are soooooo lucky we didn't get IA-64 i.e. Itanium, instead of AMD64)

If his software has some copy protection check or stuff like that, it may not like the virtual network adapter.
    Usually, if the software doesn't have to access the Internet or network, then it will almost 100% work in a virtual machine.

CrunchyBiscuit likes this.
  3. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I missed any need for XP programs the poster mentioned. I assumed that since they were aiming for a 2080, they were interested in mostly modern games.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    From what I've gathered, he has some software that was WinXP, but works on Win7-64.
    He wants to upgrade his PC, but wants to stay Win7-64, for this specific software.
    I'm pretty sure he's interested in modern games, just more interested in not borking the software :)

5. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Would you be willing to keep the old system for that proprietary software and build a new system for your games, or is that out of the question?
    (I know you may want to sell the old hardware or not have room.)
    Cause i know that sometimes its simply not possible to update a proprietary program. Code might be lost, other bugs can crop up, needs to communicate with old equipment...

6. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Thanks again for your replies!

Precisely.

I'm keeping the old system for sure, but I don't have a lot of space in my office room so it will be moved to another room. I would prefer the new system to be able to perform all tasks the old system does, while also being more powerful and able to play more modern games. I don't like switching between the two systems all the time and am looking for a single solution which I can use for both work and games.

I'm still considering my options, but a Ryzen 3800 on an X470 motherboard able to dual boot Win7/Win10 is looking mighty attractive currently. I'm not sure if it's gonna play well with the proprietary software package, but I don't think it has any specific hardware requirements, just the OS, so I'm hoping it won't give me too much of a headache. I guess I won't know for sure until I try.

Evildead666 likes this.
  7. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Ah i was just thinking of suggesting dual booting.

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Seeing as you're building a new system, at least you have to old system still working until you get it going on the new one.
    Good luck, let us know how you get on ;)