Analyst Predicts Weak Market for Samsung S8 Due to iPhone 8

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I changed my mind. After reading up a bit more. He's apparently good on product release rumors but less than stellar on predicting outcomes.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. CitizenZero

CitizenZero Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frzr OC
    I have a question. Is the Galaxy S8+ same as the Galaxy Note 8?
    Or Galaxy Note 8 is renamed into S8+? Or is going to be 2 different versions? /confused

Thanks!

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I would say iPhone vs Samsung (iOS vs Android) are two completely separate markets other than a small handful of people who think the grass is greener and switch for a test

I can't see Android users all suddenly moving to iOS because of a new iPhone, not to the point it would make any noticeable impact on S8 sales

Nor can I see the opposite happening

If a new flagship Android phone arrived to compete with the S8 I could see a problem for Sammy, but not Apple

The S series phones are different to the Note series, the S8+ is likely the new name for the Edge (S7 vs S7 Edge) because afaik even the flat S8 will have the edge curved display now too iirc

5. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Coming from an Apple analyst...This says everything :) Contrary to this I got information that Irish/UK market is going to be flooded by these devices. Rarely network carriers look forward to product release but the new S8 is one of them! Vodafone,Three,Meteor,Virgin are all saying that the new device kicks a$$. Plus they are all sick of paying for 2nd year of warranty for Apple phones. Big changes are imminent. Vodafone will stop paying for 2nd year warranty this year and more will follow. (for those who don't know Apple scumbags are selling all their devices to network operators with 1 year warranty.And the carriers then pay for repairs in the second year.In the EU!While a lot of customers get scewed)This lowers margins on iphone sales and operators would love to get rid of them,but for now have been afraid to do so as Apples advertising is so big. But it only takes a couple of big players to change the game... [I work for largest handset dealer&warranty centre in Ireland with 10+ years of experience.Have no reason to lie ;) ]

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Apple finally found out a thing like oled exists? Took them long enough. But after a couple of years Apple will be claiming they in fact invented the oled display technology, as usual.

7. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    My wife was holding out for the Note 7, we all know how that turned out. Her S6 had horrible battery life and performance was lackluster. She made the move to Apple and couldn't be happier.

Screen quality is better on the samsung, but that's about the only advantage for us. The biggest advantage she gained with her 7+ is excellent battery life. What google apps we do use work fine on the Apple.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  9. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Well I have been with iPhone since the 3G but my current 6S(which I like a lot)will probably be my last. The lack of a headphone jack is a big deal to me. So I don't know where to go. I recently had it in for service(apparently was of the bad battery batch) so I got a Samsung A3 as a loaner. It was nice to see the "other side" but I definitely still prefer iOS. Contract is up in October dunno what to do.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    They give you a headphone adapter for 3.5mm in the box with the phone. The headphone thing is blown way over board, just like the burn-in on galaxy devices.

11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Yeah but when I'm in my car I plug it in and use my headphone jack to Aux. I mean I have BT headphones but the car thing...

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Your car radio doesn't have BT? Even cheap $70 aftermarket head units come with BT, or USB.

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Nah it's a 2012 happy to have an Aux jack. But that's not a bad idea they are cutting off FM here and going full DAB something else I can't do. Food for thought.

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I feel that the smartphone market isn't taking enough risk and isn't innovating enough for the past 5years.

Bigger and better screen, safer OS, better CPU, ok but what about the core features? what about the shape and the experience of what mobile communication is?

They're not taking enough risks and we're stuck with just merely a hardware update of the same concept. It clearly lacks any vision. I want a new experience of mobile communication.
    The fear of Samsung and Apple to not make enough money for their shareholders is really killing strong innovation, they both will fail eventually if they keep sticking to upgrading old concept.

Bring back Steve Jobs please.

My Galaxy S4 will still rock strong in coming year.

15. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I would say that Apple would sell a lot more phones if they were able to produce anything good at 200 or 300 dollars mark, until this happens they have no proof of being any good at all for a lot of ppl that cant afford their products now. It is an absurd that a company so rich do not even try to hack the market in a different way, their motto was "think different" but their wallets say completely other story.
    I have not seen a friend or colleague with an iphone in my entire life - that is how bad it really is.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

16. nattefrost

nattefrost Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660
    will be holding onto my note 4- dont care for s8 edge..might make a switch to iphone for the first time

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    We're hitting the point of "literally no reason to upgrade".

Performance -

The Snapdragon 820 SoC performs far beyond what I expect such a seemingly puny mobile SoC to be capable of. I run maxed out PSP games with every setting I want at 2560x1440 without frame drops.

A PSP emulator running smoothly maxed out is probably the most demanding thing we can reasonably expect a smartphone to deliver for a while. In terms of performance there isn't much to demand, anything above that (PSP @ 1440p) is probably quite distant as a realistic expectation. The Snapdragon 835 isn't going to do anything the 820 can't currently do, until a newer generation emulator rolls around.

Screen -

It's not going to get any better than a 1440p AMOLED display unless Samdung finally stop being bastards and stop using pentile matrix nonsense. Even 1440p pentile is probably overkill for standard use, that much or (preferably) above is only useful for VR. They're not delivering 4K screens anytime (aside from a few Sony exceptions) soon so VR kind of sucks anyway. Even with a 4K screen it still causes the phone to blow up from heat.

Camera -

My camera, as far as flagship phones go, is an absolute PoS. Yet it's still usable enough for the average user. IMO paying $900 USD or anything remotely near just for a good mobile camera is ludicrous, you're better off just buying an actual camera if it matters that much to you.

Sound -

Even with Samsung's acquisition of the Insane Clown Posse or whatever it was they did, I highly doubt it's going to deliver sound as good as an LG V10, V20, or ZTE Axon 7 (32 bit DAC with sound truncated to 16 bit through crap software, up yours ZTE). And regardless of how good or bad it's sound is, 95% of people are what can only be described as hearing impaired, they can't tell the difference, and they really don't care. And even regardless of that, phones like the V20 are near the limit of sound quality in a phone.

Looks -

Are looks alone really enough to make people consistently upgrade every 2 years at this point?

Size -

How much bigger can they realistically get and still be comfortable to carry around? Size would make me upgrade, but they can't get too much bigger IMO, not for people with small hands anyway.

Battery -

This is what everyone actually wants, and this is what every company ever refuses to deliver seemingly very intentionally. On top of that they're making batteries sealed in to guarantee the timelines of their planned obsolescence. Good luck getting a full day's use out of your phone after 2 years of consistent use and fast charging.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You say 'you want a new experience'. Could you elaborate on what you mean? Personally, I think they already put too much crap you can't get rid of on them unless you root your phone. It's becoming another adware platform like OEM computer systems of yore.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm sure there are laws regarding battery size, so don't hold your breath. The Note 7 situation last year didn't help either.

I'm not into phones tbh, but, most of my family use iphones (except me, but, Mrs is nagging me), none of them are technical really. However, I do like their tablets (I didn't at first, but, ipad Air was able to do some music stuff I liked). For what I paid, I can't fault them tbh and this is coming from someone who isn't an Apple fan. Ipad 4 64GB still going strong into it's 4th year (God knows how many times my kids have dropped it). 2x ipad Air 128GB used every single day without fail. If I had to nit-pick, then, I'd like to see them add sd-card slot and usb port. Otherwise, I feel I got what I paid for. Keeps kids and Mrs happy while I have my big ass PC and laptop. I also share PS Vita and Switch with my kids, everyones happy.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not see masses moving from iOS to android and in opposite direction. People like one thing and stay with it, only very minor group migrates back and forth as they see fit at time of phone purchase.