American cars... are they all like this?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Chosen 1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    US and Canada use AKI, not RON. The fuels are identical, the US and Canada just use a system which results in a lower number displayed at the pump.

99 RON = 93-94 AKI, which is available but is sometimes harder to find. 95 RON = 89-91 AKI, which is available at every pump. 87 AKI is "regular unleaded" and equates to 91-92 RON.

85 AKI is only found at really high altitudes. I've never seen 85 AKI outside of the Rockies.

2. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Yea get back to me when your all over the road hauling around your lawn mower. :funny:

3. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
  4. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I've seen many Ford Rangers pull lawn equipment for lawn companies.

5. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    That's something else--unless your lawn is the size of a golf course or you live in a mansion in the middle of Australia, you shouldn't need a truck to haul around a lawn mower. The standard gas/electric pushcart lawn mower is as much as is needed. Those giant drivable lawnmowers have to be like the epitome of sloth. No suburban family needs a Zamboni to cut their grass.

6. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    Laugh all you want man. you can't change my opinion because it is based on what I've been through. the guy with the nice car usually gets the girl. Maybe thats why you guys think we're stupid for driving these cars is because theyre pricey? thats why their are so many v8's here because theyre not that expensive. there is only like 4 or 5 American cars that the average American cannot afford. z06, ford gt etc etc... look at the prices man on ebay a 07 mustang gt is around $18k here and 19.5k pound there i think that has something to do with it. god one of those euro-microcars are 8-16k thats ridiculous. I can get a faster moped for 1100 bucks.

7. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    My baby is a 1.3L with 0 cylinders. I got 40mpg on the freeway once...Often times car companies post MPG that is actually below the maximum that you can get. If you drive smart (use cruise control), you can get good MPG in America. My car was shipped over here from Japan tho..that could be why.

8. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    I had a 1984 turbo anniversary edition. Bad headgasket and my uncle blew it up driving my fat assed neighbor around lol.

9. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    I rest my case.

10. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    [​IMG]

this is what I have had since '04 and I get 36.7 on the highway and 26 intown.................

54440 miles as of today and I bought it new..................and yeah, I would have nothing else..........

it's a 2004 chevy Malibu by the way ...........................

and the only thing i did is install a K&N filter...............

Engine Type 12-valve pushrod overhead valve V6
    Engine Size 3.5 liters / 213 cu. in.
    Horsepower 200 @ 5200 rpm
    Torque (lb-ft) 220 @ 3200 rpm
    Transmission 4-speed automatic
    Wheelbase / Length 106.3 in. / 188.3 in.
    Curb Weight 3315 lbs.
    Pounds Per Horsepower 16.6
    Fuel Capacity 16.6 gal.
    Fuel Requirement 87 octane unleaded regular gasoline
    Tires P215/60 SR16 Bridgestone Insignia
    Brakes, front/rear vented disc / disc (LS & LT); antilock standard LS & LT
    Suspension, front/rear independent MacPherson strut / independent multilink
    Drivetrain front engine, front-wheel drive

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009

11. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Oh wow, that's cool. Sucks to hear it blew up. I have 2 Z31's. ;)

12. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs

Living in the DC area, going to/from DC at rush our down 66 or 95... I'm supposedly in one of the worst drives in the U.S..

It really doesn't compare.

You have highways over there that are so overloaded that wheels have worn trenches into the road that are a good 4 inches deep, and there's hardly time or money to keep up repairing it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fwRSkvYPWw8/SLr8sPlY6JI/AAAAAAAABRY/RDl5Znsy7xg/s400/koleiny.jpg

You really need to drive on some busted ass overloaded highways to get a feeling for what is "making good time" and "making bad time". It's really not that bad here in the U.S., no matter how much people love to complain about their commute.

I can drive down to North Carolina in 2 hours from D.C..
    Think you can drive across Poland in 4 hours? I don't think so. Not even at NIGHT with no traffic.
    It doesn't take rush hour to make the roads slow as balls over there. Now add rush hour.

-scheherazade

13. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Lawn tractors can do more than just mow grass. Our lot has just a quarter acre of grass. Unfortunately, about half of that is between 30-50 degree angles, something that is quite rough with a push-mower. We used the tractor down in Florida a lot, such as when transporting sod, pine straw, and soil. The yard down there was also more to mow, closer to half an acre and the whole yard was downhill with no flat spots. So, it completely depends on where you live, as well as your health condition. My father has bad knees and back and simply can't do an entire quarter acre that is mostly hill with a push-mower anymore, and I frankly would have a rough time of it. I can't imagine taking care of the green area behind our home without it either considering the mass of debris that is cleaned out over the course of a year.

With so many homes being built on larger lots I find it hardly surprising people are opting for riding mowers. And with so many homes being built on hills that also affects mower choices.

14. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

Poland isn't all of Europe, it is just part of it and it only joined in 2004 so it didn't have the time to get the benefits of joining the EU. In here (Portugal) we have roads in bad state too(like any other country) but of course we have some very good roads. The highways you have to pay to enter have very good construction and maintenance and the others are reasonably good.
    I think Portugal is the European country with more highways... something we are not very proud of since instead of investing in cleaner energy the government builds highways 10km apart...

I guess if i google "roads in bad condition in USA" i think i will get lots of entries too... but it won't give an insight of the roads of the USA.

15. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    The "truck" never took off over here. We have Van's. Seems a bit silly to have the back all open, put a roof on that and then you've got yourself a more useful vehicle and you don't have to empty it every night.

Any self respecting tradesman over here buys a proper vehicle when they start to make any money. People who tart up the van, like putting rims on them, are laughed at :grin:

If we want to pull anything you need a diesel, more efficient and loads of torque.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Trucks can haul a lot of stuff that a van can't. Also, most V8 gas engines produce plenty of torque and HP for towing. Most people don't tow or haul enough weight to actually need a diesel. Also, emissions from gas engines are lower than emissions from Diesel engines. Diesel engines also sacrifice fuel mileage in favor of power production, though they can be built to be more efficient.....production costs of diesel engines is higher to begin with, and only increases as emissions standards get stricter. They are also inherently more reliable due to design and operation...unless it's an International 6.0liter in a Ford SuperDuty truck....then it's inherently less reliable...

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Diesel trucks here are normally really high end, and expensive. Where as, a basic truck like a ford ranger or something doesn't cost too much. It's nice and powerful, but not cost effective here in the states really.

18. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Well then I must say that the women there are ****en stupid if they only look at the car. :rolleyes:

19. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Not really.

The only thing your 'trucks' can haul that a Van can't is one of those awful 5th wheelers.

Most people don't need V8's to move, its common sense to get something with more torque to tow here anyway.

What emissions are those then?

Production costs are a much of muchness it seems and it varies tremendously.

Not the worst V6 i've heard :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    bah Saab 9-3 Turbo X wont be a choice later on Saab going down :<