American cars... are they all like this?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Chosen 1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yup, new Fords are nice.

I wouldn't have said that a few years ago.

2. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Does it bother you? This country was built around the automobile...It is one of the largest countries in the world and there are a lot of places to go. If you have the money, who cares about how many mpg you get? Cars are very clean running today and could probably run off of the unburnt fuel that came out of the tailpipe of an old car.

I think in the USA people tend to have more money to buy things, and I think that when you compare items and prices, things tend to be cheaper. Gas is a lot cheaper, and for the most part, we don't pay as much in income taxes as other folks in Europe do.

It's easy to say that you wouldn't want anything with more than 100hp, but if gas cost less and the car cost the same as what you have now, why not? I also find what you said hard to believe considering you have a 16 cylinder Bentley supercar as your avatar.

3. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    My 2.0Ltr turbo diesel has 189BHP and I get 40mpg+ :)

4. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    It might be build around the automobiles but it is definitely not the best market out there...
    And since the country is so big the irony is that the cars have high MPG and logically would be to have economical cars to cover the distance but i know that is not possible with current laws and culture

5. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    It wouldn't really be a more responsible choice, at least, not consciously. The only thing the consumer would care about is all the extra costs associated with less clean cars. Responsibility wouldn't be a factor for them as they're not making the choice to save the rainforest, they'e making the choice to save their wallets. The responsibility would be on the government who imposes the regulations and taxes. And the US government has never been good at the responsibility thing.

6. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    because us thick headed americans have thick heads. nice troll thread. if you really wanted answers you would have done some research on the topic.

7. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

You make some good points but you do not need a 2/3 ton car for comfort nor a 4.0 V6/V8 to get to 100mph...

I understand it is a culture thing and all... but still stand by what i said above...

Actually people in the US don't have that much money...what they have is much lower taxes on car prices and gas prices. See what you can buy in the US for 20000 euros and what you can buy in Europe. And yes, me being the immature 19 year old that I am, I would probably buy the faster car but that is just because i like to race.
    But i probably would just stick with a four cylinder diesel... so much torque at low RPMs and very efficient compared to gas...

If i wanted a car for daily TRANSPORTATION then a V6/V8 is out of the question.

The Bentley? It was a picture that i had in my PC at the time I decided to put an avatar... liked it because of the design, nothing else...

I bet it does since it is a diesel...

Already had at least 2 guys call it a troll thread and the first one is a known troll around the site...
    It is just a another pub thread... i guess it affects you because you are American...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  8. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    My 5.7Ltr LT1 gets 25MPG.

...and about this being a troll thread I would have to agree.

9. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    It's a discussion ffs... some agree some don't...

10. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    A lot of good points defending cars with V6's or V8's. I just can't see a four cylinder hauling around a family of eight. I owned a 1994 Cadillac Seville SLS, with a 4.6 liter 270 hp V8, and that car had some serious get up and go. It also had some very expensive reliability problems, problems that would normally be somewhat easy to fix, but due to the design of the engine compartment, it would require the engine and transmission both to be lifted from the car.

Last month I traded it in for a new 2010 Camry LE w/ four cylinder engine (2.5 liter 169 hp). For now, it's just me, my wife, and infant son (who has turned 7 months old today). That four cylinder engine has plenty of low-end torque. I'm happy with the car, but I wouldn't fault someone who bought a full-sized V8 pickup truck simply because he or she wanted a big vehicle that would make him or her feel safe driving.

11. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    OMG wah!

First of all, you do know that a U.S. Gallon is a different measurement than an Imperial Gallon don't you?

A U.S. gallon is 3.7854 liters
    An Imperial gallon is 4.5460 liters

So 30 U.S. MPG would be roughly 36 Imperial MPG.

Also, it's not all about the size of the engine and it's rated HP. You also have to consider weight, wind resistance, tires, etc, etc, etc... So simply saying one car with a 1.6 liter, 90hp engine is better if it gets better gas mileage than another car with a 1.6 liter, 90hp engine is not accurate. The other car could be bigger/roomier, or offer different options causing it to have more weight, etc... In other words that's not comparing apples to apples.

Whatever though... We Americans love our cars and our big engines. If you don't like it, too f'n bad.

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    American cars can't go around corners properly, a good reason never to buy any >_>

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Actually sir, it is a trolling thread.

And a few have taken the bait.... hook, line, and sinker.

14. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:

I used US gallons....

And i was just saying that with all the talk in the US about fuel consumption and then i see that a car manufacturer has the entry point engine as a 2500cc , 5 cylinder. It makes you wonder what are people smoking if they think they can, at this point, get good mileage off that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  15. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Guess you still don't get it then. :puke2:

16. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
    Plus, most smaller engines sounds like a lawnmower/gocart!

17. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:

No i don't get it... it is a conversion from US gallons to l/100km and vice versa. And the American cars mileage i got from American websites which i assume use US gallons.

18. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:

You are probably thinking of two stroke engines.

It is definitely a culture thing.

Europe is planning on introducing mass production of electric cars in 2011. What is the US position on that matter?

Edit: Sorry, double post.

19. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/anchorage/story/1056826.html

And that's all I have to say about that.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Oh ffs, the only people that say this are people who know absolutely nothing about American cars. Please, just be quiet. That doesn't even have anything to do with the topic at hand whatsoever.